• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Board recommendation

RForester

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I know this has been asked, but my body type is different that those who have asked. I wanted you "experts" to weigh in on a recommendation of a good starter board. I was thinking something like the liquid force fish or CWB Laguna as a starter board. I'm 6' and 165 lbs, but I want the bigger guys in my family to be able to use it as well. Please weigh in on style and size. Thanks!

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
The LF Fish 5-6" is a great beginner board. It is heavy and slow and will surf a 300# person all day long. I have one and it is now my community board. I have since upgraded to a Ronix Koal Fish 5-6 and it is loose and fast and light. It will give you more push and you have multiple places to orientate the fins for your style of riding. Being it is a light board they are way more fragile than the LF is. Being said I would get a LF Fish first and as you progress you would probably prefer a 5' board or so for your size weight. Too long of a board makes it harder to trick spin etc. but is needed for heavier riders. If I could loose 60# I would drop to a 5' for myself for tricks etc. but I need the buoyancy.

Last edited:

RForester

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Awesome, thanks! Any other opinions out there?

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am reviving this thread beacuse I need to get a board and have no idea what to buy. I am a complete newbie to wakeboarding and have a 2016 242ls that I am going to add ballast to. Weight range of riders is 110-200 all with good balance and overall athletic ability. Am I going to need more than one board? Is there a board that someone who weighs 170 will be able to go ropeless with behind my boat? Are there boards I should avoid because of having the boat I do?

It would be great if someone could explain the whys as well because I am one of those that needs to understand something before I apply it.

RiverRat

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I like my Hyperlite Broadcast. Most who ride it behind my boat are 185-225 pounds. We're not experts by any means, but @buckbuck has the same board and I was able to nearly go rope less behind his 212x with it last year.
IMG_0884.JPG

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So I have been reading about boards for a bit this evening. From what I can tell a very long 5'7" inch board with a broad flat tail is the best for small wake or high weight. The Ronix Koal Technora may be the beast I would need to attempt going ropeless. I just don't want to get the monstwr board only to relize that I still can't go ropeless because other wise I would go with a smaller board. Has anyone out there riden a 5'7" ronix thruster style before? Yes I know how that sounds.

Last edited:

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We started with the broadcast 5'6". Good starter board and one we keep around for beginners. Cam.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I like my Hyperlite Broadcast. Most who ride it behind my boat are 185-225 pounds. We're not experts by any means, but @buckbuck has the same board and I was able to nearly go rope less behind his 212x with it last year.
View attachment 52978
Agree with the Hyperlite too here.

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So I have been reading about boards for a bit this evening. From what I can tell a very long 5'7" inch board with a broad flat tail is the best for small wake or high weight. The Ronix Koal Technora may be the beast I would need to attempt going ropeless. I just don't want to get the monstwr board only to relize that I still can't go ropeless because other wise I would go with a smaller board. Has anyone out there riden a 5'7" ronix thruster style before? Yes I know how that sounds.
Ronix makes a really good board, I would buy another in a heartbeat. That being said it will really get down to how much push your wave has once you are all setup.

I have a 5'6" Koal Fish (similar to the Technora minus the tail) that I ride almost exclusively. It's big, floaty, but still can move it around as much as I want/need (no expert here!). I like having a bigger board as I'm more into just riding the wave than doing tricks, etc. For a smaller wave with less push a bit bigger board will help, say 5'+ in length, but won't make a huge difference either. Smaller people (think wife, kids) will have more trouble with the larger board (getting up, moving around, etc.). You might end up with a second smaller board for them to use, that's what happened to us. Bought the Koal Fish first, and bought a 4'4" LF Happy Pill for the little people in my boat.