• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Boat Cover - Snap Down or Tie Down?

sealavie

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'm considering boat covers for my 2016 Yamaha and wanted to ask for some opinions and pros/cons. Should I invest in a snap down cover (2 pieces) or a tie down cover?

Which is more durable?
Which type is better for traveling (or do you just leave your covers off)?
If I go with a snap down, it requires buttons - would that get in the way of the swim platform?
Are the buttons bad for appearance? I'm going to get it installed - special instructions for the installers?

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I am guessing when i travel i will have both on, so i am no help there.
Local trips just the snap on or maybe even none. But that's because i have some low hanging wires by my house and have to figure out a way to have the tower down while trailering out of our little area. I clear but not by much!

sealavie

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
One of my concerns about the snap downs was location on the back - I would not want any snaps on the swim platform area.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
All depends on the cover. I will also say that there are ways around that, like using the snaps to attach a rope or bungie and wrap that around the handle, ladder, or trailer tie downs in the back.

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@sealavie I know there are lots of opinions on the Yamaha branded mooring covers. In my years of boating, they are by far the best cover I have ever used. Ease on install and removal, secure to trailer with long distances, shedding water, quality of construction, etc. I did notice you are in IN, many up north take further precautions from snow buildup if you have it outside.

If you decide to buy one of these, I suggest Yamaha Sports Plaza. BY FAR, the best prices on Yamaha parts and accessories...

http://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Ditto what waterboy just said. I had a two piece cover (bow / cockpit ) snap down on my previous boat. It was a Bayliner 185 that I specified snap buttons when I purchased the boat. I knew early on that I had made a mistake but no undo after those snaps are in the hull. It was just real difficult to snap your way out of the boat with it on the water , in a slip. So , when I decided to trade it in for my AR240 , being a few years older and MAYBE a little wiser , I ask my dealer for his opinion ? He recommended the premium Yamaha brand (black) mooring cover. It is a great cover that totally protects all passenger areas of the boat. I don't think the two piece Yamaha covers totally protects the rear platform / seating area ? It is a little heavy for one person to handle but it can be done. The stainless steel ratchets , mid port & mid starboard, make it easy to loosen the cover for easy install then ratcheting down to seal the lower, bonnet type strap. Think I paid about $825 but will never put snaps in my hull again.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Unless you have a specific reason for a snap on cover buy the factory mooring cover. It forms a vacuum seal to the hull and does not require snaps or tie downs.

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Personally, I can't fathom placing snaps all over this beautiful hull. The Yam mooring cover is just going to have to do. I was surprised to see so many people preferring the Yamaha covers. Usually the OEM covers are not at the top of the list. I know from owning Jet Skis and Wave runners that is/was the case. I only purchased Jettribe covers for the wee boats.

Kane

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I had the mooring cover on my 2012 Ar240 and hated it. It was very cumbersome to get around to tower and I noticed alot of scratches around the hull where the strap was. My boat is on a Mooring so I know this makes it more difficult.
On the new boat I opted for the 2 piece bow and Cockpit covers and really like them. I also like that i can attach just the Bow cover when its colder and it keeps the wind completely out of the cabin. I was very apprehensive about the snaps but I don't even notice them. The lower portion of the swim deck is exposed but I also like this for when I board I not stepping on the cover.

Good luck!

Bryan L

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The first major purchase I made for
my boat was a custom 2 piece snap cover. Black Sunbrella with PTFE threading. I would never trailer my boat with anything else but a snap cover. Anything else would scratch and chafe as you travel down the road. IMO, a good snap cover is priceless. The snaps are in great locations with none on the swim deck. The cover attaches to the stern by the way of three straps. Two to the tiedowns and one to the swim ladder. They also included a shark fin tab in the middle of cockpit with length of paracord that attaches to wake tower. There are no support poles to deal with and cover remains taunt. Now this cover is not for long term storage, just travel and a few days in between. Any other time, the tie down cover goes on and uses the tower as support.

Last edited:

Jay Petzold

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I keep my 2016 in a slip and this was a big decision for me, I didn't want the snaps on the boat but wanted it to be easy enough to take on and off, decided to go with the bow and cockpit and couldn't be happier, I can't imagine trying to take the mooring cover on and off, especially if I'm by myself, as for the snaps I don't even know they are there unless I'm putting the cover on or off, and there aren't any snaps on the swim platform, just 2 small bungees on the side and a strap that goes on the swim platform handle

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I had both on my old boat....and used the snap covers exclusively in my slip....putting the strap on cover on was more difficult.

With my new boat, all I have so far is the strap on mooring cover and I miss my snap on covers. I agree with @Kane - it is nice to be able to put on just the bow cover when it is cold or raining.

I never noticed the snaps....but if you are anal then perhaps they aren't for you....