• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Boat Hoist/Lift Weight 4000lbs

Matt1978

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a 20 year old cantilever hoist that has a max capacity of 4000lbs. I just upgraded from a sx195 to a 212. The boat weighs about 3500 lbs dry. I figure gas and things are another 300-400 lbs. Any thoughts on whether this hoist will be sufficient? I'd rather not have to get a new one if I don't have to.

YoDaddy292

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My way of thinking is to stick with what you got. Typically max ratings are less than what they CAN do (and I am the type of guy who believes in being over kill on everything). It’s already in the water and set up so just listen to it/watch it and see how it does. If it seems like it is barely getting there then consider upgrading.

gallobg

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You will be over the max capacity as soon as one person sets foot on deck. Boat + fuel + gear is already 4000 lbs.

Dry weight = 3500
50 gals fuel = +300lbs
Gear = +200 easy

Since the lift is 20 yrs old, I would be concerned about the condition of the cables if they have never been replaced. They are likely to snap at some point and hopefully nobody gets hurt (i.e. cable whiplash).

In other words, the question is less about whether the lift can hoist the boat, but instead how long until the cables fail at/over capacity.

Last edited:

Coult45

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The cables can be replaced. If you have a local dock/lift retailer, they can usually give you some very good advice about the old lift. The 4k lbs capacity might be limited more by the cable and motor than by the frame. Worth talking with them if you have a local resource.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
After having owned a 3000lb Cantilever and our current 5000lb vertical lift, I often have wondered why any lift mfg would ever make a cantilever above 3000lb.

We had our 20ft X20 SeaDoo on the Cantilever. It was more than adequate for that boat. But sketchy if you had the lift not either fully up or fully down. Anyone jumping on the swimdeck with it not fully up had the potential of tipping the entire lift backwards, as so much weight would be out back pushing the lift past the tipping point.

I would not consider a cantilever of that capacity. But as others have said as well, you may be over either way. Good luck.

r1pilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hello,
I would agree with the others, have the cables replaced for peace of mind. Our 2018 212 sits in a 4k lb lift and had zero issues. I will have the cables replaced this spring and have the winch box looked at. Keep an eye on things, make sure they are maintained and I think you should be fine.