• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Boat leak

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Anyone ever had a boat with a leak where the Jet Cleanout port is sealed to the hull? I recently bought a 2006 AR230 and I thought it was a scupper that caused it to take water on, but after replacing the scupper, the boat has a leak where the jet pump cleanout port mates to the hull. There is some type of sealant there, but it is leaking around it evidently. I've never heard of this happening, and am wondering if anyone else has heard of or seen this before.

I am going to try to get the sealant out as much as I can, and reseal it with 5200. I hope it does the trick.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think you should add a few pics to help us visualize what you are describing.

The pump has three big openings, the intake where the impeller sits, the output infront of the thrust and steering nozzles and the cleanout port access at the top middle of the pump.

When the cleanout plugs are installed they are actually sitting in the pump's body and only the plug handles protrude from the top of the pump. If the plugs are installed correctly they should not allow water to leak into the bilge or tube that the plug is installed through. That stated i am not sure where the sealent is that you are having issues with.

Have you visually identified where the leak is? If not can you fill the bilge with water to see where the leak is?

5200 is strong stuff, easy to put on but very difficult to remove, so if you are going to use it make sure you are not "fixing" something that is not broken.

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I will take pictures when I get home. I have filled the bilge with water and water leaks out of the boat into the jet pump area where the intake grate leads to. It leaks where the metal casting mates into the fiberglass.

Last edited:

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
never heard that one before,
How much water is leaking in/out? ou., cups, gallons?

It may worth taking off your cleanout tray hatch and putting the boat in the water to see what's happening

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think you are talking about the clean out tray.... the tray is held down with 20 screws. If that is what you need to seal, I would recommend sealing it with silicone. Its a fairly common deal to have a leak in that area.

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It is leaking from the areas circled when I fill the bilge with water.IMG_0307.JPG

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's a new one. I've never heard of a leak in that area. I always assumed that part to be permanently bonded to the hull. Hopefully the 5200 will do the trick.

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's a new one. I've never heard of a leak in that area. I always assumed that part to be permanently bonded to the hull. Hopefully the 5200 will do the trick.

You and me both.... I 5200d the shit out of it.... we shall see if it works...

image.jpg

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looks like you covered it! If it still leaks, you'll need to dig out the original sealant and try again.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Keep an ear out for cavitation. If you hear or feel any you might need to go back and smooth out some of those bumps in the 5200.

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I had an intake grate break on my 2008 SX230. I removed the broken grate and before the replacement part came, I took the boat out for a spin. I heard the bilge going to town and rushed back to the lift. I was surprised to learn that the bolts holding the grate to the hull went straight thru-the-hull. If the intake grate bolts are lose or the silicon sealant has failed (perhaps from a prior repair) you could be taking on water from these intake grate thru-hull bolts.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
As @itsdgm alluded to, Those ridges of 5200 at the mating points look like they are going cause cavitation in my opinion but that is easy to fix with a razor blade and/or dremel. Hopefully the leak is gone.

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That is a new one..... Does this boat sit in salt water all the time? Looks like it is wet slipped for sure..... Perhaps that ate the sealant?
I don't know the history of the boat, I bought it from a salvage auction in Raleigh a few months ago. I have cleaned it up and got the motors running, now I am working on making sure it wont take any water on when I put it in the water. I am sure at some point it was a salt water boat, but I think it spent the last few years as a freshwater boat.

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As @itsdgm alluded to, Those ridges of 5200 at the mating points look like they are going cause cavitation in my opinion but that is easy to fix with a razor blade and/or dremel. Hopefully the leak is gone.
My idea is to make it not leak, then if it has cavitation, I will deal with that. I feel it will be easier to take sealant off, if I need, than to add more on.