• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Boat purchasing recommendations

Scooter Scott

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey all, new guy to the forum here. I've always been intrigued by Yamaha boats and I think over the winter I want to try and hopefully find a deal on one.

I currently have a 1992 Sea Ray 190. Used this as our first boat to see if we are a boating family. Family has seemed to enjoy it the last 4 years so I am trying to talk myself into dropping some coin on a bigger boat that doesn't beat us up and gives us more room. I've been cruising this forum for the better part of a month now just reading up on things.

My main goals are to gain more room and to have a softer ride in rougher waters. I was initially looking at a 212. I think I would be happy with the room inside the boat but I don't think I will be happy with how it rides in rougher waters (unless someone can tell me otherwise). Because of that I think I at least need to go with a 24ft.

We frequently try to take out another family with us. My family is just my wife, my 5 yr old son and I. The families we take out are usually 2 more adults and 2-4 kids.

Next up for me is the year. Obviously I'm coming from a 1997 boat so most anything will be better. I'm trying to put into my head what is the best year for me to look at for value and bang for the buck. Ideally I would love a 2016+ because I can get the wake tower that is easier to pull down, articulating keel, better sound deadening and Connext. But are they really needed?

Wake Tower - we have a lake in Indiana where we have to go under a bridge to get to a cove that we like to frequent. I would like to have something that is somewhat easy to pull down
Articulating Keel - With Cobra jets or thrust vectors is this even necessary or more of a gimmick?
Sound Deadening - How big of a difference is the noise?
Connext - Not a big deal at all....this is a nice to have

I found a beautiful 2016 242 Limited S but I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger coming from a boat that is as cheap as mine. Of course the time I want to upgrade is when COVID and inflation aren't in my favor.

Last edited:

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Where do you boat at, what bodies of water?

Scooter Scott

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Where do you boat at, what bodies of water?
I'm in Indiana. Mostly a couple reservoirs by me...but I keep trying to push myself to get into the bigger state lakes. We are also making annual trips down to Dale Hollow now.

The problem with reservoirs by me is they are small and too many wake boats. The waters are hardly ever smooth.

Last edited:

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
24 sounds right based on your number of people.
I don’t have any naturally rough water around me but the wake boats wreak havoc on my 212.
I saw the pic of your boat in the tow vehicle thread. That thing looks pretty nice for it’s age. I’d milk another year out of it with the way the market is now.

Scooter Scott

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
24 sounds right based on your number of people.
I don’t have any naturally rough water around me but the wake boats wreak havoc on my 212.
I saw the pic of your boat in the tow vehicle thread. That thing looks pretty nice for it’s age. I’d milk another year out of it with the way the market is now.
I bought it in 2017 with 22 hours on it. A gentleman bought it brand new just before his daughter got into a paralyzing car accident. He parked the boat for 17 years. I just cracked 100 hours on it 2 weeks ago down in Dale Hollow.

MajorBummer210

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We have a 2017 AR210 that our family of four often brings another family of four on. Still has plenty of room. Could it be bigger? Yes, but the boat is perfect for 5 and 8 year old boys knocking around in. My wife and the other ladies love the back swim deck. Can hang out on and talk while us guys and the kids swim.

Our 21’ handles chop really well especially cruising at ~20 mph. Yeh, I could go faster but my wife prefers to take it easy on the water and I don’t mind it either.

Will I go bigger in the future? Yes, but only after my boys become teenagers.

If you’re looking at used, I’d get anything 2017 or later. That’s when Yamaha redesigned a lot on the boats and made them way more appealing. IMO.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I came from a '98 Rinker to a '17 Yamaha. Rinker was 18'6" Yamaha is 19'2". The Yamaha rides SOOOOO much better than the Rinker did. Like, not even a comparison to how smooth the newer boat is. Hull shape and running attitude are big players in "smoothness".

You have the tow vehicle to get either size. If storage isn't a concern I would look at a 24ft boat. The cost penalty over a 21ft is negligible in both purchase price and operating costs. I'm on the fence about a 21vs 24ft, but will most likely go 24 when the time comes.

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would rather have plenty of room and not need it than have no room and wish I had it. My wife constantly complained about how much room our 19ft boat didn’t have, rated for 8 but realistically was more like 5 with gear. We jumped from our 19ft Crownline to our now AR230. We’ve had 8-10 people on board with plenty of room still. So definitely go with a 24+ foot model because the kids and friends will only get bigger and multiply.

I can’t say much on the sound deadening. My MR1s are louder than the newer boats, I don’t have any added sound deadening yet which is a project for this off-season.. For what it’s worth, we have yet to have a complaint of how “loud” it is!