• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Boat trouble

Jazzbay

Reaction score
Boat Make
Bayliner
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I have a 1996 Bayliner jazz sport jet 120 xr. It will run on the trailer but won’t start in the water. I’ve changed the stator,trigger swim,starter,battery,rebuilt the fuel pump,cleaned the carburetors. Did a compression test 115-120 on all cylinders. I’m at a loss!

jdkaeser

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
How old is the fuel? I was reading a post online with a guy who had a similar problem. Turned out to be bad gas. It was just bad enough that the added back pressure from the exhaust and impeller did not allow the fuel to vaporize. He drained and flushed the lines and it worked. He even had stabilizer in the fuel but it still happened. Could be that or if you have water in your tank and the boat sits differently in the water vs on the trailer the pickup is sucking the water vs the gas in each scenario.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Jazzbay

Reaction score
Boat Make
Bayliner
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
How old is the fuel? I was reading a post online with a guy who had a similar problem. Turned out to be bad gas. It was just bad enough that the added back pressure from the exhaust and impeller did not allow the fuel to vaporize. He drained and flushed the lines and it worked. He even had stabilizer in the fuel but it still happened. Could be that or if you have water in your tank and the boat sits differently in the water vs on the trailer the pickup is sucking the water vs the gas in each scenario.
I pumped all the gas out and put 10 gallons of new gas. Spark plugs were replaced to.

Seattle_Phaeton

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sounds familar. Don't know if this is your issue but a few years back I had an 1992 Chris Craft and it quit out on the lake and it would not restart no matter what I did. I had to be towed in. I brought the boat home and it started and ran fine on the trailer. Multiple times and no problem. Waited a couple of days and tried it again and it started and ran fine. Decided to take it to the lake put it in the water and it would not start, so I load it on the trailer and more than a little frustrated I decided to try and start it on they trailer at the lake..... and it fired right up...... so I shut it off put it back in the lake and it would not start. By this time I am beyond frustrated.
I finally decided to take it to the shop they had the boat for a week and told me it was just a lose wire on the ignition switch. I just couldn't belive it but that was the problem. I guess the movment on the water was just enough to to cause it.
I hope this helps good luck.

jdkaeser

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Yeah, sounds like you have tried all the right things. I'm thinking like the poster above, it must be an electrical issue of some sort. Unfortunately, electrical gremlins are the worst thing to figure out. Was it doing all of this prior to swapping all the things you mentioned? If it was, then I'd compartmentalize the areas of electronics and start with the helm if the problem was existing. It has to be something with the power going to the ignition or fuel pump if the starter is turning over but not firing. Like above, ignition switch is most likely. Then move to the battery area, then engine compartment as the things you changed are probably tight. Checking all terminals for loose connections.

Jazzbay

Reaction score
Boat Make
Bayliner
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I changed the reeds and now it runs in the water. Now I can’t get full power and it runs decent for a couple minutes and then it falls on its face and stalls. Tried adjusting the timing but that didn’t help much. I thought I fouled a spark plug so I bought 4 new ones. It didn’t solve the problem. Pulled the bowls off the carburetors,everything was fine. Help!!

gt5pilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What fuel pressure do you have at the bowls? Are you sure the floats are set at the right height and not sticking? No cracks in the floats? Sounds like a DCOE Weber issue I had on a racecar - it would run fine for a bit until the float started taking on fuel and then the float would sink and shut off the fuel flow.