• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Boat wont start

Fluffy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
Was out this weekend when i went to power up out of the no wake zone the boat comes up on power then just fell flat and died. It wouldn't start after that. it would turn over and try to start but fail. The supercharger was really hot. I checked oil it was good coolant levels were good. gas was good as i had 3/4 tank from previous weekend. I' had to get towed in and of course had to wait till Tuesday to call the dealer. So its into the shop for who knows what and how long.

Any arm chair Mech have an insight to what would cause that issue?

BTW its a 2019 195ID

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The hot supercharger sounds suspicious. Did the engine just quit with no warning or did it sputter and die. I'm thinking something may have obstructed the air intake.

Fluffy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
it just stumbled and died no warning, no warning lights still

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Check the relays. I know they can go without warning. @ScarabMike wrote about these. I'd also go over all wiring and check for anything loose; especially the battery.

Fluffy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
Well, Stopped by the dealer after a week in the shop. They tell me that Number 2 cylinder has zero compression the others are @ 140-150 psi.
they dropped a service request with BRP to see about what corporate is going to do.

I'm thinking a new motor at least. I only had 26 easy hours on it. I have not even pulled a tube or anything to stress the engine.

I'm concerned about them tearing the boat up doing the swap, and how long its going to take BRP to make a decision and get me back on the water for at least a few times before season is over. The thing is brand new.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do you trust them? I'd be showing up with my own compression gauge if they won't repeat the test on front of my eyes. Best of luck!

Fluffy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
Oh its dead.... it wont fire up at all

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
My port engine was just replaced. The dealer got BRP approval and received the engine pretty quick; about a week. Install was a couple day. Said lining everything up was difficult cause it has to be perfect. The new engine was missing a couple gaskets and had to wait 2 days for that. Water test failed and had to order a few more parts - 2 days. Shipment came in and was missing a component - 2 days. 2nd water test failed as a cotter pin was missing - 2 days. 3rd water test passed and I picked up the boat that day. Chances are you're looking at 2 weeks; maybe sooner if things go perfect. :rolleyes:. Good luck!

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What would cause 0 compression on a new boat with 26 easy hours on it. They should be able to determine weather it was rings or valves. Did they tell you?

Fluffy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
nope no real word yet. They said they were putting in a ticket with BRP on how to proceed.

Fluffy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
Update Said BRP wants them to do a leak down check (makes no sense) and take the valve cover off to check for more damage. If there is zero compression a leak down is a waste of time. This seems just to be a stall tactic by BRP. The motor needs replaced. My local shop does good work but a re really short handed. Ive been patiently waiting for 2 weeks and it will be at least one more before i get a real answer from the dealership/BRP

Fluffy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
Update: got a call from the dealer and BRP is going to replace the motor. the bad part is the exact motor is on back order. They are sending a motor that has a smaller stator and sending a stator for my boat with it. Now its a waiting game for the dealer to have the time to do the actual work. With some luck i might actually get to use the boat before December

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Update: got a call from the dealer and BRP is going to replace the motor. the bad part is the exact motor is on back order. They are sending a motor that has a smaller stator and sending a stator for my boat with it. Now its a waiting game for the dealer to have the time to do the actual work. With some luck i might actually get to use the boat before December
That's great news on the motor. Hopefully the dealer doesn't take his time. Good luck!

Fluffy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
Finally got my boat back from the dealership with a new engine. YAY took it out on its first run and bang rpms drop from 5500 to 3000 and just stayed there. it would not advance with throttle input. the supercharger was making hella noise and i could smell burning oil.. All this after going 500yards. I am livid. Dealership says they don't water test their work, I would think for safety and good work you would want to verify everything is working right prior to sending a customer out on an untested boat. I'm beginning to suspect my dealership is less than stellar.

Fluffy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
Just found out the mechanic didn't tighten the supercharger pipe and it came off. So nothing major. just reaffirming my growing lack of confidence in my dealerships ability to do thing right.