• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

boat wrap <should I wrap for winter)

MikeDinOC

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I live in MD on the eastern shore...1st time with my 212ss yamaha jet boat... should I wrap it for the winter?
I have it on a trailer with a boat cover, not sure what to do?

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I used to cover mine with a tarp, bungee cords and rope...giant PITA. The wind would blow it, water and snow would get in and it never worked right. I started having it wrapped a few years ago and never looked back! I actually use a company that does it for me right in the driveway. Get a few 4lb. tubs of Damp-Rid and put them inside before they wrap it. Have them cover your winch and the nozzles, and make sure that they put vents in the wrap. I also put three jack stands under the trailer...just enough to take the weight off the tires. Open it in the Spring and it smells fresh and no mold. Also, make sure that they use the thicker blue wrap that's better for cold weather. Costs me about $350. You won't regret it.

20201011_130619.jpg

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
All of our bigger boats we had up on Lake Erie we would shrink wrap in the winter. I cant tell you how many tarps were destroyed over the winter due to wind and the heavy snow, especially as it melts and then freezes again. We would go to take the tarp off in early spring to find the tarp either ripped or half missing and the deck filled with water, ice or snow. I would suggest wrapping it, thats why alot of people do it! If anything is worth doing, it's worth doing right.

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’m on eastern shore also. I don’t wrap. I use a relatively inexpensive cover from Amazon (~$140) that I could economically replace annually, but it has worked for the past two years. I don’t get enough snow to cause concern and it would cost me $600 to wrap it, which is not worth it to me.

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’m on eastern shore also. I don’t wrap. I use a relatively inexpensive cover from Amazon (~$140) that I could economically replace annually, but it has worked for the past two years. I don’t get enough snow to cause concern and it would cost me $600 to wrap it, which is not worth it to me.
Wow! That's high! We're paying $18 per foot in my area.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We started wrapping two seasons ago, and I absolutely love it. Company comes and does it right in the driveway for about $350 (with tower up). We spent $50 on a zipper door the first year and keep reusing it, which is nice to get on the boat over the winter to work on stuff, or just turn on the radio and have some boat drinks on a nice day. Boat is much cleaner in the spring, and haven't seen a spec of mold or anything since then. Damp rid buckets and plenty of vents gets it done. Sheds snow nicely with the tower up.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would wrap it. Put some Damp Rid buckets in like others have said. I am still using my shipping cover going into year 3, but not sure how much longer it will hold up. It is $20 per foot around here.

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Or better yet,do it yourself AE55C39D-7B82-4932-BE83-F0A8617B5DD7.jpeg