• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Boating in Myrtle Beach Area, North to Bald Head Island??

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Daughter going to Coastal Carolina, just inland from Myrtle Beach, starting next year.
She'll be playing beach volleyball for them so I am certain that we will be spending some 3 and 4 days weekends catching tournaments, and hopefully, some boating.

Of course, the ICW runs right through the area,..., but not sure how fun that will be...

Looks like a lot of homes with our size boats on their docks at Shallotte Inlet.

Looks like Lockwoods Folly Inlet, at The Point, could have some protected beach access, from the water.

Does anyone have experience with staying and boating from Bald Head Island?
We have neighbors that have a place there where they get 1 week per quarter,..., but they are not boaters.

Are there any sandbars that are regularly populated with boats?

Any local experience greatly appreciated.

JeffVans

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I'm using all of my will power NOT to make comments about college beach volleyball:mooning:...... I was down there last year and the ICW was pretty fun, you just have to watch out for no wake zones.... and fake no wake zones. I didn't spend much time at BHI, but thats where it opens up quite a bit. I went from MB up to South port and spent a few days boating around MB and the inlet down there. @robert843 it very familiar with the area. He sent me some GPS points to check out I can fwd them to you if you want, but they are more for MB than BHI.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'm using all of my will power NOT to make comments about college beach volleyball:mooning:...... I was down there last year and the ICW was pretty fun, you just have to watch out for no wake zones.... and fake no wake zones. I didn't spend much time at BHI, but thats where it opens up quite a bit. I went from MB up to South port and spent a few days boating around MB and the inlet down there. @robert843 it very familiar with the area. He sent me some GPS points to check out I can fwd them to you if you want, but they are more for MB than BHI.
Post them here if you don't mind. I'll be heading down to Murrels inlet(Few mins south of MB) in July with my wife and kid in tow, not sure if I'll be dragging the boat down. Either way I grew up boating in the ICW in NC. Hands down the best time I've ever had on a boat was just cruising around and finding sand bars to park at and swim/fish. Was a good time as a teenage boy taking ladies out on the boat to secluded islands. ;)

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Appreciate the skipped comments. It's not easy being a (Marine) Dad of a competitive beach vball player.

Yes, the more around MB the better, as that is likely the base we'll be launching from.

thank you!

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Here are 2 of my faves for those that ever end up in the Emerald Isle area of NC. These are a good bit north of MB, BUT if you're down for a day road trip, it's worth it.

This spot is ALWAYS jammed with boats and people, but a cool spot. Careful getting out into the inlet as it can get crazy rough. I've seen several large boats struggle.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/34°38'58.9"N+77°06'12.8"W/@34.6496944,-77.1057443,701m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m14!1m7!3m6!1s0x89a8f0766c1b5055:0x649b9637da97dc!2sEmerald+Isle,+NC+28594!3b1!8m2!3d34.6779399!4d-76.9507762!3m5!1s0x0:0x0!7e2!8m2!3d34.6496977!4d-77.103543

This is my second. Technically on Bear Island/Hammocks beach state park, but you can pull up and beach right here. It's fairly well protected. I wouldn't recommend going straight across from the other spot as the tides and sandbars shift. I'd take the way the ferry takes and then follow the water around the back side of the island.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/34°38'48.9"N+77°06'59.1"W/@34.646919,-77.1185927,701m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m14!1m7!3m6!1s0x89a8f0766c1b5055:0x649b9637da97dc!2sEmerald+Isle,+NC+28594!3b1!8m2!3d34.6779399!4d-76.9507762!3m5!1s0x0:0x0!7e2!8m2!3d34.6469194!4d-77.1164039

I put in at shell rock landing here and boat over. Used to be a pay boat ramp, but has been taken over I believe by the state and is now free! All the years growing up and paying $5 to put our boat in.... Looking at the satellite view it appears it has been updated a bunch since back in my day.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Shell+Rock+Landing/@34.6521786,-77.1380393,9977m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m13!1m7!3m6!1s0x89a8f0766c1b5055:0x649b9637da97dc!2sEmerald+Isle,+NC+28594!3b1!8m2!3d34.6779399!4d-76.9507762!3m4!1s0x0:0xca3dcc8880c5e55f!8m2!3d34.6532357!4d-77.1655977

JeffVans

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Appreciate the skipped comments. It's not easy being a (Marine) Dad of a competitive beach vball player.

Yes, the more around MB the better, as that is likely the base we'll be launching from.

thank you!
haha I have a few more years before I have to worry about them(mine are 9, 5, 18mo)! I'll try to dig up what he sent me tonight and post up on here. Also, if you ever head down to Lake Anna let me know, that's my primary place.

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
haha I have a few more years before I have to worry about them(mine are 9, 5, 18mo)! I'll try to dig up what he sent me tonight and post up on here. Also, if you ever head down to Lake Anna let me know, that's my primary place.
Lake Anna is our primary place as well. Will ping you when the season starts-

You know this troublemaker? @latitudeadjuster

Last edited:

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Post the myrtle beach coordinates here. Our kids god parents moved to little rive.. their sub division has it's own boat ramp and boat parking. I am sure we will spend a lot of time down there this coming summer.

JeffVans

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
So, here's what I have in my phone.

Bird Island:
33° 51.230'N
78° 32.720'W

Barefoot Landing (shopping, dining, public docks)
33° 47.973'N
78° 45.156'W

Sandy Island
33° 30.902'N
79° 8.650'W

Georgetown (public docks, shopping, dining)
33° 21.960'N
79° 17.072'W

North Island Beach
33° 12.992'N
79° 11.034'W

1.jpg
2.jpg

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Spent a bit of time researching the MB area and tagging potential boat beaches, launch sights ("landings"), restaurants, Yacht clubs, beach volleyball courts,..., along the ICW. I like marking them in google maps as I tend to think geographically when wanting to remember to go see (research ahead of time) or record my favorites (after). I'll see if I can pull each of the marked locations, and share. I generally do my pre-recon with google maps in satellite view looking for beaches, docks, size boats docked locally, resturants,...., and then bounce those locations off of Navionics running on my iphone for some boaty info (depth, Active Captain, buoys,....

This is a list of county managed boat landings (ramps): https://www.horrycounty.org/Departments/ParksAndRecreation/Boating

MyrtleBeachInterests.jpg

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
This has me thinking is there anything we have stickied of GPS locations for places to go/visit? Seems like it would be an awesome idea. Even better would be to follow up those locations with pics you've taken there, warnings, things to watch out for, where to put in, etc.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry I'm late to the party been a crazy week. @Glen there is plenty to do on the water around Myrtle Beach. I'm out every saturday when its warm @bronze_10 and @Glen feel free to reach out anytime your down I have a boat slip that rarely gets used and a dry storage spot that can hold another boat and trailer. My favorites here are Bird Island and North Island but there are sone others if you are willing to ride a bit longer that are great I love grabbing dinner in Georgetown and Mcclellanville. Sandy Island is ok as well and I have been wanting to do a run down to Bull's Island I asked the park service and the docks are free to the public down there. If you have any specific questions let me know.

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Reviving this old thread.... My neighbor has a house down in north Myrtle and I'm hauling the boat down there this weekend. Total of 4 couples and it sounds like Bird Island is the place to go.

Johnny Causey Landing looks like a good spot to put the boat in from what I can tell.... Not sure about parking around there. I'm gonna see about getting a slip for the weekend but I highly doubt anything is available last minute....???

Would love to get any feedback from anyone living there. I sent a PM to @robert843 but it doesn't seem like he's been on the board in a bit.

bubbasuwannee

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Reviving this old thread.... My neighbor has a house down in north Myrtle and I'm hauling the boat down there this weekend. Total of 4 couples and it sounds like Bird Island is the place to go.

Johnny Causey Landing looks like a good spot to put the boat in from what I can tell.... Not sure about parking around there. I'm gonna see about getting a slip for the weekend but I highly doubt anything is available last minute....???

Would love to get any feedback from anyone living there. I sent a PM to @robert843 but it doesn't seem like he's been on the board in a bit.
perfect timing for me as well as we have a trip to N. Myrtle not too far off and plan to take the boat. I need to find a marina there to store as our accommodations doing offer a place for a trailer.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you guys are in that area yes you are close to Bird Island a nice spot to hang out. If you want a day trip a run to Georgetown water front is nice. Check cherry grove marina or Harbor gate marina for a slip both are close to that landing. I think cherry grove marina may have some availability.

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I’ve never been in the intracoastal there…. Are no wake zones clearly marked? How long of a ride down to Georgetown? 1 hour?

I was able to get a transient slip at Harbourgate Marina. $2.75 per foot and no minimum length (some places have a 30 foot minimum) with electric and water. Can’t beat that!

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’ve never been in the intracoastal there…. Are no wake zones clearly marked? How long of a ride down to Georgetown? 1 hour?

I was able to get a transient slip at Harbourgate Marina. $2.75 per foot and no minimum length (some places have a 30 foot minimum) with electric and water. Can’t beat that!
Yes clearly marked. You will be in a no wake zone from your launch point and so is Harbor Gate. The No wake zone starches about 1 mile north of there and about 1 mile south of there. Georgetown from up there is longer then that probably about 2 hours if I had to give a rough guess. Its more of a lunch or dinner cruise lots of shops and places to eat. https://hammockcoastsc.com/destinations/harborwalk-in-georgetown/

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Awesome, thanks for that info! I actually switched and got a slip at Barefoot Marina. It's closer to the house I'm at and it's further south so from there I assume it would be no wake all the way down to Georgetown..... 2 hours to Georgetown seems pretty reasonable. Might try and make that a day trip on Saturday... at least that's what I'm thinking in my head.

Will you be out on the water this weekend Robert?

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Awesome, thanks for that info! I actually switched and got a slip at Barefoot Marina. It's closer to the house I'm at and it's further south so from there I assume it would be no wake all the way down to Georgetown..... 2 hours to Georgetown seems pretty reasonable. Might try and make that a day trip on Saturday... at least that's what I'm thinking in my head.

Will you be out on the water this weekend Robert?
Barefoot is probably only 1 1/2 hours 2 Gtown about 30 to 45 min to Bird Island. Going to Gtown you will go through I think 3 or 4 no wake zones around some boat ramps and marinas but they are well marked and very short most of your time will be spent cruising. Not sure yet if we will be out my boat is in the shop. It's ready I just have to find the time to grab it.