• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Boating in St. Louis

Pate

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We moved to St. Louis over the summer and have only had the chance to head out once here so far. We went down to Kinkaid Lake in IL about 2 weeks ago, but it's a little far. I've heard a lot about going to the "Alton Pool". Can anyone tell me where to put in? I'll be coming from the south side of St. Louis. We like day trips that include a couple hours of water sports and tubing, then like to anchor, swim, and eat lunch. Is the Alton area a great place for this? I'm concerned about the current, but I hear that there are areas that are great for this. Just don't know exactly where. Thanks in advance! I'm also open to other places within an hour drive from south St. Louis (Arnold to be exact).

I can give you more info later, but in a nutshell - Pool 26 is fantastic as it stays pretty much the same level. Great boating between Alton and Grafton/Pere Marquette with beautiful view of the bluffs. Easy way to get there if you go across the new Alton bridge (to IL side), turn left right off the bridge and drive over the levee - there is great public ramp (free) with good parking, just East of the Alton Marina.

If you need an o/n slip - like to guest slip in the Alton Marina right there - super nice people, it's about $40 a night - well worth it if you have guests and want to take them on a nice ride up the river - towards Grafton. The place has a great vibe as they cater to the "loopers".

EDIT: on your way back you can hit "Fast Eddie's Bon Aire" in Alton, IL (it is an institution, a legendary watering hole). No kids.

--

@Pate Here is the bridge - looking Eastward;
arrow points to the location of the public ramp; Alton Marina is to the right
upload_2018-6-28_18-15-10.png
Ramp (usually nice and clean) is double:
upload_2018-6-28_18-17-4.png

We moved to St. Louis over the summer and have only had the chance to head out once here so far. We went down to Kinkaid Lake in IL about 2 weeks ago, but it's a little far. I've heard a lot about going to the "Alton Pool". Can anyone tell me where to put in? I'll be coming from the south side of St. Louis. We like day trips that include a couple hours of water sports and tubing, then like to anchor, swim, and eat lunch. Is the Alton area a great place for this? I'm concerned about the current, but I hear that there are areas that are great for this. Just don't know exactly where. Thanks in advance! I'm also open to other places within an hour drive from south St. Louis (Arnold to be exact).
If you are in Arnold... I can show you around the Meramec river. I slip in the Meramec Marina, Sunset Hills.
I'm OOT but will be back over the weekend. PM me if you want to get together.

--

I can give you more info later, but in a nutshell - Pool 26 is fantastic as it stays pretty much the same level. Great boating between Alton and Grafton/Pere Marquette with beautiful view of the bluffs. Easy way to get there if you go across the new Alton bridge (to IL side), turn left right off the bridge and drive over the levee - there is great public ramp (free) with good parking, just East of the Alton Marina.

If you need an o/n slip - like to guest slip in the Alton Marina right there - super nice people, it's about $40 a night - well worth it if you have guests and want to take them on a nice ride up the river - towards Grafton. The place has a great vibe as they cater to the "loopers".

EDIT: on your way back you can hit "Fast Eddie's Bon Aire" in Alton, IL (it is an institution, a legendary watering hole). No kids.

--
I have been to this area before (not boating) and many times to Fast Eddie's. I am originally from St. Louis and have moved back here after retiring from the military. I had no idea that this area was so wonderful. I'm looking at going out on Saturday for about 5 hours to check it out. I'd love to talk to you if you have a chance just to ask some questions. I'll PM you. Thanks again!

If you are in Arnold... I can show you around the Meramec river. I slip in the Meramec Marina, Sunset Hills.
I'm OOT but will be back over the weekend. PM me if you want to get together.

--
Didn't even think about the Meramec River. I asked around about it, but heard a lot of stories about logs floating in the river, etc. Was told to skip it. Like I said, I'll PM you. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Welcome to St.Louis. lakes around the area are Kinkade, Rend Lake, Lake Shelbyville, Carlyle Lake, Mark Twain lake. Some of the Lakes are in Illinois. At the end of July we have a big Gathering at Lake Shelbyville you can look at the thread on here. Very family friendly https://jetboaters.net/posts/316187/.

Now the river.
If you're on facebook here are two pages to follow.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/pool26/

https://www.facebook.com/wwwRiverBillscom-168039849333/

www.riverbills.com. this website will let you know what the river is doing they have graphs and all that. Right now the river is rising due to all the rain we've had up north. There will probably be some debris in the water but you just got to keep your head on a swivel and look around. We tried to get out on the river as much as possible.

There are tons of marinas all along pool 26 on the Missouri side some of which are private and only accept ramp passes. Others are just $10 to Launch. Pool 26 is Winfield lock down to Alton lock. They have restaurants and sand bars all up and down the Mississippi.

We launched at John's Boat Harbor. For Sandbar action we usually go to two branch. There's also 521 and a few others. If we want to do water sports we run from John's down to the Illinois then up the Illinois River usually to Pierre Marquette or past and the water gets really good for Watersports. The Illinois River does have a slight Little Current but it's more like a lake. Mississippi River you just run the channel you're good. The Illinois is pretty much bank-to-bank but there are areas that they do have marked with the red and green buoys.

We always do a spring and fall Cruise from John's Boat Harbor to Mel's Dockside Restaurant which is in Hardin Illinois and we go by boat. There's several Yamaha owners that boat pool 26. Including us there are five families that all on yamaha's. Any given weekend one or all of us could be out. If you have any questions you can message me and I will try to answer. I was showing the river seven years ago and we fell in love with it. I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff.

One thing I thought about. The Grafton Oyster Bar has slips that you can rent for I believe $7 a day and you can walk down to the loading dock or another restaurant or hell even eat at the Oyster Bar.

Welcome to St.Louis. lakes around the area are Kinkade, Rend Lake, Lake Shelbyville, Carlyle Lake, Mark Twain lake. Some of the Lakes are in Illinois. At the end of July we have a big Gathering at Lake Shelbyville you can look at the thread on here. Very family friendly https://jetboaters.net/posts/316187/.

Now the river.
If you're on facebook here are two pages to follow.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/pool26/

https://www.facebook.com/wwwRiverBillscom-168039849333/

www.riverbills.com. this website will let you know what the river is doing they have graphs and all that. Right now the river is rising due to all the rain we've had up north. There will probably be some debris in the water but you just got to keep your head on a swivel and look around. We tried to get out on the river as much as possible.

There are tons of marinas all along pool 26 on the Missouri side some of which are private and only accept ramp passes. Others are just $10 to Launch. Pool 26 is Winfield lock down to Alton lock. They have restaurants and sand bars all up and down the Mississippi.

We launched at John's Boat Harbor. For Sandbar action we usually go to two branch. There's also 521 and a few others. If we want to do water sports we run from John's down to the Illinois then up the Illinois River usually to Pierre Marquette or past and the water gets really good for Watersports. The Illinois River does have a slight Little Current but it's more like a lake. Mississippi River you just run the channel you're good. The Illinois is pretty much bank-to-bank but there are areas that they do have marked with the red and green buoys.

We always do a spring and fall Cruise from John's Boat Harbor to Mel's Dockside Restaurant which is in Hardin Illinois and we go by boat. There's several Yamaha owners that boat pool 26. Including us there are five families that all on yamaha's. Any given weekend one or all of us could be out. If you have any questions you can message me and I will try to answer. I was showing the river seven years ago and we fell in love with it. I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff.

One thing I thought about. The Grafton Oyster Bar has slips that you can rent for I believe $7 a day and you can walk down to the loading dock or another restaurant or hell even eat at the Oyster Bar.

Matt,

Thank you very much for taking the time for this detailed breakdown. I hopped onto the Facebook pages and I’m planning a trip up to Pool 26 tomorrow. I’m going to put in next to the Alton bridge and then drive west towards Grafton to explore all of the areas that you mentioned. Your description of the area sounds exactly like what we’ve been looking for. I’m hoping the river is fine after all of the storms that came through last night. Saw that Portage De Seaux was destroyed.

Can’t make the Shelbyville trip this year, but I’ll look out for it next year. Really love the community support here in STL!

Thanks again!

Pate

Matt,

Thank you very much for taking the time for this detailed breakdown. I hopped onto the Facebook pages and I’m planning a trip up to Pool 26 tomorrow. I’m going to put in next to the Alton bridge and then drive west towards Grafton to explore all of the areas that you mentioned. Your description of the area sounds exactly like what we’ve been looking for. I’m hoping the river is fine after all of the storms that came through last night. Saw that Portage De Seaux was destroyed.

Can’t make the Shelbyville trip this year, but I’ll look out for it next year. Really love the community support here in STL!

Thanks again!

Pate

There are a couple of cut throughs from the Illinois to the Mississippi. I recommend you not taking them because they do have dikes, since you don't know where the dikes are don't want you to tear up your boat. However if find a boat going through there that has a deeper draft than You by all means follow. Remember just keep your head on a swivel looking for debris. Those websites are pretty good if you post a question they usually get you the answer pretty quickly. I believe the river is supposed to Crest sometime next week.

I definitely will heed your advice. I saw the area you are talking about. I run GPS based Navionics on my iPad when out on the water. Being a recent army retiree, I can never seem to get comfortable on the same body of water and this makes me feel good. This is our 3rd year owning the boat and 3rd different location during the summer. Hoping to stick around now.

Well Pool 26 didn’t work. The ramp at Alton was closed. They have let the water level drop in anticipation of rising levels mid-week. I saw the Coast Guard there and they told me there was debris everywhere out there. We decided to call it a day and head back home. A bummer, but lesson learned. Won’t go there again without calling ahead. I checked the Facebook and website and didn’t see anything there to alter the plan today. I guess that the river just gives new variables that I’m not used too.

Well Pool 26 didn’t work. The ramp at Alton was closed. They have let the water level drop in anticipation of rising levels mid-week. I saw the Coast Guard there and they told me there was debris everywhere out there. We decided to call it a day and head back home. A bummer, but lesson learned. Won’t go there again without calling ahead. I checked the Facebook and website and didn’t see anything there to alter the plan today. I guess that the river just gives new variables that I’m not used too.
Sorry it did not work out. Damn, should have thought of it! Calling the Alton Marina is always a good idea when the river gets crazy. They are usually helpful and will let you know what's going on.
For future reference, I have found in the past that the ramp in Grafton (red arrow in the pic below) is usually open (almost) no matter what, albeit launching there can get a bit squirrely due to current and no dockage.
upload_2018-6-30_15-20-27.png

Of the STL crowd I boat at Carlyle quite a bit.

You have to be aware of the wind at this lake.

If it's windy and you are not standing on a sandbar make sure you wear a life jacket.

As long as the winds are less than 10 mph you can find smooth water on the lake.

I was on the east side of the lake today and had great water from 8am until noon.

If the storm picks up get off the water as fast as you can.

I can get shallow but as long as you have a chart or map you will be ok.

I launch from eldon hazlet state park 5 lane concrete ramps with a small courtesy dock.

I am at 55 and butler hill it took me 1 hour and 8 minutes this morning.

Send me a PM if you have any questions.

Of the STL crowd I boat at Carlyle quite a bit.

You have to be aware of the wind at this lake.

If it's windy and you are not standing on a sandbar make sure you wear a life jacket.

As long as the winds are less than 10 mph you can find smooth water on the lake.

I was on the east side of the lake today and had great water from 8am until noon.

If the storm picks up get off the water as fast as you can.

I can get shallow but as long as you have a chart or map you will be ok.

I launch from eldon hazlet state park 5 lane concrete ramps with a small courtesy dock.

I am at 55 and butler hill it took me 1 hour and 8 minutes this morning.

Send me a PM if you have any questions.
What would you rate Carlyle vs Rend lakes? Just wondering. I've been to both once or twice but it's been a while. I like Kaskaskia river for water sports but they closed the Riverhouse (marina/restaurant) in New Athens which was my favorite, so I haven't been this year, yet.

--

I have only been to Rend lake once.

I cant say that it is any worse or better than Carlyle. But Carlyle is closer

Sorry to hear that. We went to our friends campsite on the river saw quite a few boats out on the river. There was some big debris but it was spaced-out.

I would definitely look into maybe a marina to launch your boat. Like I said they have marinas up and down pool 26.

@swatski,
Rend Lake or Carlyle Lake. I think it's just personal preference. I would prefer Rend Lake over Carlyle Lake. Rend Lake is a Shallow Lake but it's a good size. When we lived in the city we used to take day trips over to Rend Lake all the time. Now we found a little Lodge that we go up for the weekend and we stay there called Seasons Lodge it's on a golf course but the ramp is a half a mile away. I've been the Carlyle Lake a couple of times. It is a sailing Lake because of the winds that they get. Like Ramprage said if you get winds that Lake gets rough quick. Both times we've been over there, we've had winds and Whitecaps.... not fun.

Sorry it did not work out. Damn, should have thought of it! Calling the Alton Marina is always a good idea when the river gets crazy. They are usually helpful and will let you know what's going on.
For future reference, I have found in the past that the ramp in Grafton (red arrow in the pic below) is usually open (almost) no matter what, albeit launching there can get a bit squirrely due to current and no dockage.
View attachment 77781
No worries. I’ll figure it out. I also need to try Kaskaskia too. Learning everyday. I also think I’ll try one of the marinas on the MO side next time as Matt recommended.

No worries. I’ll figure it out. I also need to try Kaskaskia too. Learning everyday. I also think I’ll try one of the marinas on the MO side next time as Matt recommended.
The best place to launch on Kaskaskia is probably still New Athens, a nice triple ramp and plenty of parking. The marina/Riverhouse permanently closed last year (BUMMER!) but if water gauges are showing normal levels there should be no issues with the ramp, just no fuel, no food. The adjacent camp site I believe is open and should be able to provide just-in-time info, the place can get impossibly crowded at times - when they run events.

While there, we like to go upstream past the bridge /Fayetteville - the river gets a bit shallower but you will be fine in a Yamaha JB and the crowds are gone.

--

I was looking at the area north of the Fayetteville bridge and my maps stop there on Navionics. This summer is just not going to allow much time to get out. Going away for a couple of weeks this month and then I have job training for almost 3 weeks when I get back.

I really do appreciate everyone's help in this forum. I think with all of the information, there are plenty of places to get out on the water. We'll just have to get out there and learn them to get comfortable.

Reviving an old post --- I used to use Johns Boat Harbor, but they went private. I'm super happy that Riverside Harbor now is purchased by St Charles Parks and Recreation. They have it all cleaned up and now this winter they are doing a major overhaul, ramps/camping/water/electric. Its in the dardenne slough, so easy in and easy out.

Anywho, I have been seeing more and more yamaha boats on pool 26. Pretty awesome!

Back