• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

BoatTEST.com 2019 Scarab 255 Open ID video

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow, those 300 ACE motors are so compact... Where are the intercoolers?
upload_2018-11-30_22-17-1.png

--

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The intercoolers are mounted away from the engine and not visible from that pic ;). I really like these new 300 ACE engines and their improvements! The supercharger is said to be maintenance free and the intercooler is like the size of an aftermarket Fizzle! Wished Yamaha's was as big and efficient stock.

image.jpeg

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The intercoolers are mounted away from the engine and not visible from that pic ;). I really like these new 300 ACE engines and their improvements! The supercharger is said to be maintenance free and the intercooler is like the size of an aftermarket Fizzle! Wished Yamaha's was as big and efficient stock.

View attachment 85550
Now, THAT is an engineering marvel... Simply amazing.

Still, at least for now, the whole package is not going to make me sell my AR240. Not yet.
If they continue their development of these boats and especially their bow rider/dual console I would totally see myself jumping on it in the near future.

Basically, I like to own one boat that DOES IT ALL, in 24-25' size I can comfortably trailer.

For now, this is the 240 Yamaha's platform to lose.

But, if the carbon seal/engine alignment, melting exhausts, and other stupid maintenance issues are resolved, AND they get serious about their noise and vibration deadening - I would consider switching brands for sure.

--

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
With that much junk in the water I'm surprised they didn't clog a pump!

I like the giant sunshade. Tailgate is still a neat option as well.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
With that much junk in the water I'm surprised they didn't clog a pump!

I like the giant sunshade. Tailgate is still a neat option as well.
Well, yeah.

Basically, if they were smart, they would have this gate overbuilt and modified substantially.

It could be built (modified for both sides surf and enforced) to serve as a Wake Wedge AND a platform for a large “swim deck bag” style Gatlin ballast bag - AT THE SAME TIME. Being a tailgate would leverage the weight nicely for extra effect.

I believe this would easily be THE package that would be hard to beat, jet boats or not, the ultimate “all in one” fish-and-surf!!!

But, sadly, none of those companies seem to be getting the advice from application standpoint they truly need...

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
The video seemed to be almost an advertisement, but just watching how it leaves and enters the water on chop looks far nicer than my 08 212.
My kids still haven't gotten into any kind of water sports, so we have really bought the tower for my wife, and she's gotten up once since we did that!
I think the fishing tryouts may be next in our family, and this 255 open really looks nice!
But, when the boat I have is already paid for... swallowing a payment just isn't worth it... yet!
I know, no cleanouts, but I have used my cleanouts twice. Once on the way to Bahamas (well, I think it was pulled 3x actually) and once In Cumberland. Seaweed clogging the intake, and in Cumberland it was wood chips from all the floating debris being mulched up by army corp or something. Other than that, my cleanouts have been a pain.
The length of the 25 vs 24 is minimal.
If I were buying today, I would be hard pressed between this 255 open, or saving a ton of money and buying a early run 240 (before AK) and either boat would immediately get trim tabs.
I LOVE that it claims to be a fishing boat, and has the cupholders that double as rod holders, and it looks like it has a couple holders on the tower.
I bet Yamaha releases a 24' center console now too though, so I'm sure some will stay tuned for that.
Chicago Boat/RV show is in January, but I doubt I will get to go as I am too busy right now with everything at home but it would be great to set foot on these newer machines!

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
buying a early run 240 (before AK) and either boat would immediately get trim tabs.
That would still be a better bet for a semi sea worthy small boat, IMO. In that size range, Yamaha beats other jet boat hulls with two major features:
1. The keel stretching all the way into stern AK - softens stern "slapping" when pounding chop
2. Self bailing deck/scupper - that is a feature that is hard to over estimate, IMO

A 25' CC fishing boat with deck draining... into the bilge... (Please... )

--

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
That would still be a better bet for a semi sea worthy small boat, IMO. In that size range, Yamaha beats other jet boat hulls with two major features:
1. The keel stretching all the way into stern AK - softens stern "slapping" when pounding chop
2. Self bailing deck/scupper - that is a feature that is hard to over estimate, IMO

A 25' CC fishing boat with deck draining... into the bilge... (Please... )

--
I thought that the video said the scuppers drained overboard

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nice viewScreenshot_20181203-135929_YouTube.jpg

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@djetok I was wondering if anyone else noted the "quality" of the "crew" in the clearly marketing driven photos interwoven into the video. Clearly they run in different circles than I do, as none of my boating pics look like that.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I thought that the video said the scuppers drained overboard
I don't think so. Drains with "high flow grates"?
Where those drains are positioned can only drain in the builge.
It's bull s..t.
I've been wrong before though! will need to watch it again to confirm, maybe someone else has?

--

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I don't think so. Drains with "high flow grates"?
Where those drains are positioned can only drain in the builge.
It's bull s..t.
I've been wrong before though! will need to watch it again to confirm, maybe someone else has?

--
Come to think of it I think I was looking at the locker drains from up in the bow and I think those are the ones he said drain overboard

mrmeaniemeateaterman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I really like the 255 open id but few things keep me where I am at in no particular order:
- my AR210 is paid for, don't want a boat payment.
- it has been problem free from day 1, very worried the scarab won't be.
- the 255 open id is 2X more than what my Ar210 cost new, will I really have 2X more fun on the new boat, I doubt it.
- used our boat maybe 6 times last summer, seems to get less and less use with each passing year.
- I still get compliments on my Ar210 EVERYTIME I launch it, people think it is a brand new boat.
- my youngest son absolutely hates going on the boat, to the point where we drop him off at friends house so we don't have to listen to him pout non-stop while we are out.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
- my youngest son absolutely hates going on the boat, to the point where we drop him off at friends house so we don't have to listen to him pout non-stop while we are out.
Holiday (gift return) season is nearly upon us. My dad always told me that Walmart would take anything back and threatened to return me for a new one. If my kids didn’t like the boat, I might look into that a little harder. lol

I’m sure sorry, that he doesn’t enjoy the family hobby. Hopefully, he’ll come around one day. :)

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Speedling , all there reviews seem like paid marketing advertisements for the manufacturer. They all are pro, pro, pro, with little cons.
I like magazine reviews better.

I am yami for life.... none of mine have ever let me down or made me regret buying them.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
At 3 minutes, the recessed tray that drains overboard. I think it's for the coolers. Would only drain the front.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
@Speedling , all there reviews seem like paid marketing advertisements for the manufacturer. They all are pro, pro, pro, with little cons.
I like magazine reviews better.

I am yami for life.... none of mine have ever let me down or made me regret buying them.
I agree that the "reviews" seems to be well... pretty staged.
Can't I be a reviewer? I wanna drive all the new boats and just yell at manufacturers for dumb things and then get paid to smile.