• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Both engines overheated, need advice

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Tonight I pulled up to the ramp and my wife took the helm as I went to get the trailer. She quickly asked if the engines should be smoking and then pointed out that one of the tachs had the red overheat light on. The ramp we used today was in the end of a cove and the lake was full of debris cut up by the holiday traffic. While pulling up to the ramp some debris caught in one of the reverse buckets. I had to cycle from forward to reverse several times before it shifted freely.

She turned off the engines and we discussed what to do. She restarted the engines to counter the backwards movement and saw overheat lights on both engines.

After I backed the trailer down the ramp she started the engines again and only the port side had an overheat light. After pulling the boat out of the water I noticed pieces of trash bag sticking out of the port jet intake. Looking in the jets from behind the port pump has a 1/4" stick in it as well. We checked under the engine hatch and did not see anything unusual.

I am hoping that I simultaneously sucked debris into both of the jets blocking cooling water intake to both engines. I will clean out the jets tomorrow and see how they run.

I would really appreciate your advice.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bruce the first overheat your wife detected was a true overheat most likely caused by the trash you mentioned. When you shut down an engine, whether water cooled or air cooled, the temp in that engine continues to climb for a while. When she started that engine again it gave an overheat indication only as a result of that climb in temp, not necessarily as a result of a continued problem.

You most likely had an initial debris ingestion in both engines. Sounds like your wife was quick to detect that and shut down which most likely released the ingested debris from the non overheated engine. Good thing you had her with you.

Lspeedss

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Bruce hope your motors are OK. They are tough. I dont know what temp the warning lights activate. Good thing is they did not seize . that makes me think your good. You said "Smoking"..from where? Steam or smoke?

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I think you are fine. I had an intermittent overheat for years before I found the problem. The small amount of cooling water that makes it in from the partially blocked screen / cavitating pump hits the hot exhaust manifold and turns to steam. That is what you see coming from the exhaust thru hull and the pee holes. As long as you don't beat on it while the light is on or run it after the computer limits the rpms I don't believe you will have a problem.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks guys. Since the problem occurred right in front of the ramp there was very little run time while overheated and it was at or just above idle. The engines started and sounded normal. So I believe they are fine.

I am going to clean out the jets then run the engines on the hose.

Magic

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would investigate the and/or change the oil and filters just to be sure you didn't fry some of the oil with a point specific over-temp....

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Sounds like you did just what you should...shut down and investigate. I too have had an overheat light illuminate from ingestion. And one from forgetting to install the damn cleanout plugs. The checklist was developed after that one! The light is your warning, the engine protects itself by reducing rpm...which you were well below already. I think your fine and have no issues at all, other than making sure all the debris is out of the intake/impeller and housing/and nozzle. But you want to make sure you didn't suck anything into the cooling loop too. Not likely you will get that feedback info from running on the hose. So once it is cleaned up, I would put her in the water and make sure you have good flow at speed and rpm on the water, through the pee holes. Then you know your good!

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have had an overheat one time. Different situation than most. We were tubing and running the boat... very hard... to be nice about it. Dumped whoever was out back and shut her down very quick.. Overheat light came on.

Idled for just a minute to flush in some cool water and went away fine. I thiink the alarms are very conservative based on that and when they come on.

Don;t run the engines for a long time with the light on and I expect no issues. I also will give a short cool down at idle after a hard run now too, never another issue.

Be glad your First Mate is attentive to these things!!!

Lspeedss

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah @Bruce . what Waterboy said...Mrs. Bruce did awesome!

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
In the middle of the lake no wake mode while in neutral will put a lot of cooling water through the engines if you are trying to cool them down from hard use too.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I believe these pictures will explain the overheating.

Looking at the port impeller from behind

PortJet.jpg

Looking at the port drive shaft from below

PortShaft.jpg

Looking down through the port clean out. I accidentally switched my phone to some filter

PortCleanout.jpg

These are the debris that came out of the port jet

PortDebris.jpg

And the starboard

StarboardDebris.jpg

After cleaning out the debris I flushed each engine for ten minutes without issue. Will move on to an in water test next.

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Wow what a pile of trash. Did you get all of it out through the cleanout ports

Lspeedss

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I hate liter bugs.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wow what a pile of trash. Did you get all of it out through the cleanout ports
All of the debris in the pictures came out through the clean out ports. I removed a smaller amount of additional debris from the intake grates and by reaching in from behind.

Here is a color picture of the combined pile of debris.

CombinedDebris.jpg

Magic

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for cleaning the lake!:D

Seriously, glad that was all it was! :winkingthumbsup"

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
What a great guy you are for clearing a path for those following you @Bruce Seriously, glad to know that is all it was. I think your golden...

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just heard from @Backwash that he had to stop and clean out his jets frequently on Lake Hamilton this weekend.