• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bought a new Ram; need extended warranty opinions

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just got a 2019 V8 4wd Big Horn $35,400 out the door - I believe a close to rock bottom price which I learned as I had another dealer get really rude to me when I said beat this by $500 and I'll come to you ("We are not in the business of not making money - your dealer is lying to you.") Now, to the subject of extended warranty. I am not posing this question to debate the pros and cons of extended warranties, I am here to find out the NAME of the actual Ram extended warranty. The actual NAME. I'd never buy an aftermarket warranty from a company not part of the brand as they are a complete ripoff and you have to fight them to cover what they say they will cover. As example, when I bought a new Honda 2 years ago, the dealer tried to sell me an aftermarket extended warranty, BUT NOT THE "HONDA CARE" extended warranty! I ended up getting a Honda care warranty, backed by Honda itself, not some 3rd party scumbag company. Why the hell won't a dealer sell you the actual warranty backed by their brand? I guess they make too much off the scumbag warranty companies. So, does anyone know the name of the similar product on a Ram. i.e. the factory extended warranty? (Example, Honda's is Honda Care) I googled and there are alot of companies that have the Ram/Chrysler/Mopar name attached to it, but I do not believe is the actual Ram extended factory warranty. Thanks for the comments.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Mopar vehicle protection I believe

Edit : yep

Last edited:

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I believe you can fill out a form right on the ram website. Good luck with your new truck it should pull that boat like a dream. I do not think you’ll ever use that Honda extended warranty. When I bought my Toyota forerunner I inquired about an extended warranty and the dealer side you’re not gonna need it on this. Look into the top warrantee that Dodge offers my old lady just got a Fiat and the Chrysler warrantee on it is an unlimited warranty as long as she owns the car and I checked it over pretty thoroughly.

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Working in service departments for different brands. I’d recommend you go talk to the veteran advisor and ask him which warranty is the best.

I can’t tell you how frustrated they get when finance sells a customer an all inclusive maintenance package or warranty that covers “everything” when it doesn’t. They are the ones that fight to get things covered. They will know best which warranty to get. IMO

Devin Jensen

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Don't have to go to the manufacture to get a good warranty just know what plan your purchasing and what it does/doesnt cover. Some of the manufacturers don't even back there own warranty plans they sell there branding to a third party.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My guy tried to sell me an outageously priced 3rd party aftermarket plan - the reviews were terrible. Nary a good comment. So when you sue, you have to go against the 3rd party handler of the warranty; I'd rather just directly sue the manufacturer for the breach if they don't cover a covered item or just proceed to give you a hard time. The mfc usually pays up quick if it is under a 5k claim. I can get an 8 year 125k miles pretty throrough coverage through Chrysler for about 2500. Peace of mind if the electronics go as far as I am concerned.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
The lifetime warranty from Chrysler is the only reason I would consider buying an FCA vehicle, wish Ford did something similar.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I just looked again, evidently they quit offering the lifetime warranty last year December 1st...shows what I know.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I just looked again, evidently they quit offering the lifetime warranty last year December 1st...shows what I know.
There goes the new Jeep pickup for me. With the warranty I would have bought it. This works for off-road.
I’ll go back to the Tundra next year. image.jpg

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the tips. I will get the Chrysler 8 year 100 K, no biggy a couple grand for peace of mind. Didn't like leaving the Chevy brand (had 2 over last 30 years) only issues were rust and even if they fixed this issue? Couldn't beat the deal on the Ram. Tested out a loaded Titan - brand new, well 850 miles on it- from Budget Rental and drove it 800 miles to to Florida and back 2 weeks ago. Loved it but the old lady said it rode like a truck and was pretty high off the ground. I couldn't argue with her, probably in the 55-60k range too, so not needed as a 4th vehicle. The prior month I rented another one from Budget, a fairly loaded up F 150 with 26k on it and that trip kind of confirmed why I won't ever own one. Compared to the Titan and Big Horn, it just couldn't cut it as far as ride and creature comforts. Got stopped 4 times because of a tail light isssue - a short somewhere on the vehicle, go figure, but I bitched at Budget and they knocked 75 bucks of the 175 rental and I will take that deal any day of the week, even if I am stuck in a Ford. Just like my Ford cop cars over 30 years - a world of difference from my old chevy malibu (one) Caprice (2) police and Hemi Chargers (2); The Crown Vic was my worse four years on the road. Although I will say the Chevy Citation I had to deal with ithe late 80s was pure junk. But I digress....As always thanks for the opinions.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the tips. I will get the Chrysler 8 year 100 K, no biggy a couple grand for peace of mind. Didn't like leaving the Chevy brand (had 2 over last 30 years) only issues were rust and even if they fixed this issue? Couldn't beat the deal on the Ram. Tested out a loaded Titan - brand new, well 850 miles on it- from Budget Rental and drove it 800 miles to to Florida and back 2 weeks ago. Loved it but the old lady said it rode like a truck and was pretty high off the ground. I couldn't argue with her, probably in the 55-60k range too, so not needed as a 4th vehicle. The prior month I rented another one from Budget, a fairly loaded up F 150 with 26k on it and that trip kind of confirmed why I won't ever own one. Compared to the Titan and Big Horn, it just couldn't cut it as far as ride and creature comforts. Got stopped 4 times because of a tail light isssue - a short somewhere on the vehicle, go figure, but I bitched at Budget and they knocked 75 bucks of the 175 rental and I will take that deal any day of the week, even if I am stuck in a Ford. Just like my Ford cop cars over 30 years - a world of difference from my old chevy malibu (one) Caprice (2) police and Hemi Chargers (2); The Crown Vic was my worse four years on the road. Although I will say the Chevy Citation I had to deal with ithe late 80s was pure junk. But I digress....As always thanks for the opinions.
2B861AAB-DD63-4D31-BB16-2D6D0C0E038E.gif

Brad460

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
As someone who previously worked as a Warranty Manager, extended warranties are a big money maker for anyone selling them (if you know what I am trying to say).....I would never ever never buy an extended warranty. Waste of money..

Seriously, what new vehicle these days can’t go 100k without any major issues? All of them...even a Dodge can go that long.

Never understand someone negotiating down the purchase price of a vehicle and then get suckered into an extended warranty...

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well I havent bought it yet....Thanks Brad, maybe I wont. I didn't buy one for my last few Hondas (but of course they are Hondas and that says it all) I did buy one for my Infiniti GS37 hard top convertible just to cover the 4000 moving parts if that ever went wrong - of course it did not but it was a great selling point when I sold that car. I never would for a new Yamaha boat either! But it is a Dodge so I do ponder the issue, maybe to a point of obsession.....

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well I havent bought it yet....Thanks Brad, maybe I wont. I didn't buy one for my last few Hondas (but of course they are Hondas and that says it all) I did buy one for my Infiniti GS37 hard top convertible just to cover the 4000 moving parts if that ever went wrong - of course it did not but it was a great selling point when I sold that car. I never would for a new Yamaha boat either! But it is a Dodge so I do ponder the issue, maybe to a point of obsession.....
I'm currently in the same boat, so to speak. Had my Ram a year now and getting calls from FCA about adding and extended bumper to bumper warranty out to 8yrs 100k for 3 grand. I know extended warranties are a ripoff, but I'm still considering it, lol

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am a dodge guy... and have never had a ford that didnt leave me hanging. They all have thier flaws..

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I bought my GM
As someone who previously worked as a Warranty Manager, extended warranties are a big money maker for anyone selling them (if you know what I am trying to say).....I would never ever never buy an extended warranty. Waste of money..

Seriously, what new vehicle these days can’t go 100k without any major issues? All of them...even a Dodge can go that long.

Never understand someone negotiating down the purchase price of a vehicle and then get suckered into an extended warranty...
I used to be this same way. I hated extended warranties with a passion and thought they were a giant waste of money.

Bought my current truck with 36k miles on it, and the dealership tossed in an aftermarket "bumper to bumper" warranty for free. Was the "compromise" they made after I got the price down from $39k to $36k, and wanted to drop to $35k. They came back with a free warranty "Worth $1,800", but stuck to the $36k price. Since I wasn't paying for it, I took it, and went on my way since the $36k was close enough for me.

Truck had 36k miles on it when I bought it, so the factory warranty had just expired. Had my first issue with the truck that required service with tools I don't own. A/C went out at 73k miles. I took it into the local dealership with that problem, as well as a trailer brake system fault, leaky 3rd brake light, rattly/clicking seat rail, vibration at 75mph, and tailgate latch that was not working properly. Explained the extended warranty situation and let them get moving. Took 2 days to diagnose everything. Then another 5 days to have a warranty rep come out and approve the charges. Once approved another 5 days to get parts, get them installed, and test. The only thing not covered by the extended warranty was the 3rd Brake Light Gasket. A/C, Seat, Tailgate, and Trailer Sensor was all covered. Over $2,800 in parts/labor from the dealership. Only $125 out of my pocket......Clearly the warranty saved me some money there.

WITH THAT SAID. It was a giant PIA to deal with the warranty company. They fought to not cover a few things, and won on the gasket. They might not cover the next thing either. The dealership put me in a loaner for the 16 calendar days the truck was out of my possession, and the warranty company only authorized 2 days of rental coverage. Again, it was a giant PIA, but monetarily worth it. Lots of time spent on the phone and emails getting things approved/coordinated.

The honest savings are not $2,800 either. I could have fixed the sensor and seat track for less money. The A/C I don't have the tools to do, so SOMEONE else was going to do that. The vibration was a wheel balance issue I'm having fixed on my own, and the tailgate was just an adjustment. I would say in "normal person dollars" not "dealership dollars" I probably saved around $1k or so.

We don't have an extended warranty on the Nissan Rogue in the driveway......yet. If she likes it enough to keep it past the warranty then we'll probably get one though. I'll be doing a TON of research on that when the time comes.

NOW.....a question......Anyone have much experience with the Certified Pre-Owned programs? I know not all are created equal, and some manufacturers will have better programs than others. Friend just bought a used Audi S6. It's an amazing car, and he sought out a CPO car as the means to get extended coverage on what could be a very expensive to fix 450hp TT V8 engine, and the complicated Quattro driveline. Not to mention the significant amount of electronics in that car. He's only had it a few months, so I'm curious to see how that works out for him.

Devin Jensen

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length

You can say that "big money maker" line for any product. It goes by ratios, sometimes the customer wins and more than not the warranty company does. With that being said i definitely believe in them, i've owned several brand new trucks in the last few years (i lease and never go out of factory coverage) and especially with all the fancy radio systems they put in its not worth the potential out of pocket. My last denali needed the whole radio system replaced with 15k miles on it. cost them about $2800 to replace.