• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bought a used Porche today ...

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm the third owner it's only 3 years old and has a new motor. I will post a pic later.

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm the third owner it's only 3 years old and has a new motor. I will post a pic later.
Ronnie sorry if i appear ignorant but why a new motor in only 3 years? Have you owned a Porche before? If not take extra care in the wet you can very easily loose the backend, Good Luck with it.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Did you buy a porch with an engine or a Porsche? (Sorry....jet lag causes sarcasm...there really should be a sarcasm font!!!!)

Never owned a Porsche....but they look fun!

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Ronnie : It's so good to see that Santa Claus is all alive and well within your household ! :rolleyes: :playful: :p

Merry Christmas ! :winkingthumbsup"

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice! I took a Cayman S for a test drive yesterday but it was bought the night before. I have a line on another one but my wife is not sold on the idea now that it is real. Something about the older one starting college next year and the 2nd one close behind him. I actually threw in the fact that I "would be selling the boat this summer" which has always been my plan.

What kind of porsche? Will you take it on the track?

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Awesome Ronnie!! Lets see some pictures:winkingthumbsup"

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The first motor burned out on the first owner. The second owner installed the ew motor and set the car up as a drifter so it is configured to loose the back end easily.

I only test drove it for a few minutes before buying it because it was that much fun and the weather was crappy so I wanted to get home ASAP.

I stopped waiting on Santa years ago, although I appreciate any and all gifts I receive the best ones I've ever gotten were the ones I bought myself.

I took a look at a few new Porsches last month, when I told the salesman that I had an out the door budget of $100k or less he showed me loaded versions of the only models I could afford, the Cayman and the Boxter. I was dreaming of the Turbo but at $192k plus tax of close to $19k my dream turned into a fantasy faster than the Turbo's 0 to 60 mph time.

It's a 911 that my son and I will use primarily on a track nearby. He keeps insisting that it is ours not mine, little does he know that he is getting one for X-Mas this year.

Do you guys see where this is going?

Last edited:

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
1. You justified a $100K Xmas gift for your son in the hopes that he will someday be a master drifter so you can use all your drones to record footage to be on point with what Ken Block produces....?

2. You are transitioning your hobbies from water to asphalt and we will soon see a boat for sale...?

or

3. There is not a pair of pants on earth that can resist the fire your money produces while in your pocket!?

Either way, pretty cool.

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The first motor burned out on the first owner. The second owner installed the ew motor and set the car up as a drifter so it is configured to loose the back end easily.

I only test drove it for a few minutes before buying it because it was that much fun and the weather was crappy so I wanted to get home ASAP.

I stopped waiting on Santa years ago, although I appreciate any and all gifts I receive the best ones I've ever gotten were the ones I bought myself.

I took a look at a few new Porsches last month, when I told the salesman that I had an out the door budget of $100k or less he showed me loaded versions of the only models I could afford, the Cayman and the Boxter. I was dreaming of the Turbo but at $192k plus tax of close to $19k my dream turned into a fantasy faster than the Turbo's 0 to 60 mph time.

It's a 911 that my son and I will use primarily on a track nearby. He keeps insisting that it is ours not mine, little does he know that he is getting one for X-Mas this year.

Great news have a great Xmas and enjoy every minute with your son.

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Just wondering... Would you be up for adopting a new son? I'm available if you are...

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Damn it @GiddYupJoe , your guess regarding hobbies is so close that I may as well tell the rest of the truth. Keep in mind that everything I've stated so far is true. I was going to wait until later today to post this pic but all of the responses above have motivated me to do this now.

image.jpg image.jpg
It's a 1/10th scale rc car by hpi, powered by an after market brushless motor and lithium ion battery with an actual top speed of 60mph.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
In the joking spirit of this thread I present Propless (hiding in the garage) and Topless (front and center). I almost forgot, Powerless is under the deck.

image.jpg

Last edited:

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Nice!! I thought maybe you won the Lottery!

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I liked where I thought this was going and now I see it was too good to be true. I am sort of glad that it was not true that you bought your son a 911 drifter car. Not that there is anything wrong with that...

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Haha! When you said "motor burned out" instead of engine blew or something like that it got me thinking something was up, then I read getting your son one I figured it was a Rc.
Very nice! I'm 40 and still ask for a nice RC car for Christmas, I always get that look, like I'm an idiot for wanting one. My wife always tells me I'm the hardest person to buy gifts for. I don't think I am, I ask for practical things that I want, like when I bought the camper I had a new sewer hose, upgraded AC controller...on my list, I have no idea what I got for that Christmas but It wasn't what I needed/wanted and I'm sure it is stuffed in a box in the garage somewhere. Then after Christmas I wind up going and buying what I wanted anyway:)

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Bruce that's a beautiful ride. I recall someone winning or buying a black Porsche a few years ago but don't think it was yours as it was a Boxter. I'm not sure what model yours is but I've never been great at distinguishing between Porsche's Boxter, cayman and 9xx models.

To close this out a little more. My son and I (mostly my son) got a lot of indoor track and parking lot practice with our first drift car (the Porsche pictured). My wife and I let him open his big Xmas gift this year early on Xmas eve, it was a newer drift car, so that we could get some track time before the shop closed for the holiday. We also made it to the parking lot on Xmas day.

The day after Xmas we went back to the hobby store to use their track only to find that my drift car had a Brocken part that the shop had on back order. Rather than lose the track and bonding time I ended up buying a new drift car instead. My son surprised me in that he chose the car (they come with different bodies and components depending on your likes and intended usage) but declined to take it for himself, he said he was happy with the one my wife and I gave him. We ended up losing track of time on the track (which is kind of ironic) and getting back late for dinner. I wouldn't change a thing even if I could. Here are a few pics of our current hobby/ rc drift cars. His is the BMW, mine the camero.
image.jpg image.jpg

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Nice Ronnie....You and I might be "brothers from another mother" We definitely have the same toy interests. I don't have a track that I can race where I live but I have hours and hours of empty parking lot time. I really like the nitro RC cars, something about the smell and the ability to hot refuel and hit the gas for more. I have a traxxis Jato and used to have a revo for off road. The traxxis has a couple mods and will do 65+ the revo was an awesome 4x4. but I sold it to a buddy.

Unfortunately there can be high speed accidents but traxxis parts are cheap and it live to see another day.

The off road tires and a concrete pole at about 50 mph shut me down.

Have fun.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Ronnie, it sounds like your drift cars have been a great bonding experience! I would like to see video of them in action someday.

Our Porsche is a 1994 968 Cabriolet. Before we had kids we auto crossed once or twice a month. I was fortunate enough to win second place in class at the national Porsche Parade.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@ Julian, the "drift cars" that we have been into lately are all ready to run kits offered by hpi. I think the only thing that makes them drift cars are the tires which are plastic instead of rubber this allows them to drift easier on carpeted (usually indoor) tracks. The track we have been using is at out local hobby store which is a converted warehouse. I think we pay $5 a day each to use the track but are rarely their month an 2 hours a day.

The kits vary in price from $240 to $300, some come with nickel metal hydride batteries while others are set up for lithium polymer batteries (I.e., they have brushless motors and electronic speed controls that can handle lipos). All of the hpi sprint 2s like the one we run are 1/10 scale with belt driven 4wd transmissions and oil filled shocks. The lipos run between $50 and $60 each depending on capacity and last about 30 mins on a full charge. Chargers are around $100 and take about an hour to fully charge a lipo. So the buy in price to get into the hobby is between $240 for a kit with an nmh battery and trickle charger with rubber tires to $ 400 / $450 for a car with the brushless motor/esc ($300), lipo battery $50 and charger ($50 to $100).
The plastic and rubber tires are interchangeable but also relatively cheap at $25 for a set of 4 premounted on rims so I go that route instead of using the same rim for different tires.

If you are thinking about getting into this I suggest you start slow and look at what is available in craigs list. I found a lot of guys selling almost new kits because they went all in only to find it just wasn't there thing or things changed such that they, their fiends and / or family didn't have the time anymore. The kit I bought my son was used and included the lipo ready car, two batteries, a charger, two extra bodies (mustang and Porsche) and other extras for $400 no sales tax. If I don't keep it for spare parts I will sell the first Porsche I bought (once I get it fixed) for $140 (the price of two new lipos and fees for two on the indoor drift track). I got it for around $200 so it's been a good training vehicle for my son and I.

The box says that they go 53 mph (actual not scaled) I believe it and this can be changed by using aftermarket gears. We've done speed runs at the local high school parking lot but still haven't strapped a GPS or iPhone to one to clock it. On the drift track I don't think these things ever exceed 20 mph since the focus is on drifting not necessarily winning the race so there are a lot of turns on a relatively small track.

@Big Shasta your pics remind me of the 1/8 scale into buggies and truggies I used to be into along with the traxxis nitro 4 tech and several nitro powered boats and Helis. I used to love those vehicles but always found tuning the carbs on them more of an art than a science, I suck at art. I will stay into this as long as my son does but so far I have more fun maintaining the cars with him and using them with rubber tires in a parking lot than drift tires on a drift track. These have been great at getting my boy to use his hands and his head while maintaining them. He is really starting to appreciate tools and having spare parts on hand.

My latest purchase is the "air dog" basically a quad copter which tracks the user via a homing device and keeps the camera focused on the user automatically. Theoretically, I should be able to strap the homing device to my arm, activate it from the water and have the drone take off, follow/film me and land at the touch of a few buttons. According to the web site I'm the 1,257 preorder customer and it should be delivered on or before June 30, 2015, in time for the next boating season.