1. Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  2. Want to buy your boat a Labor Day gift beacuse it works so hard to keep you happy? How about some Cobra Jet Steering? Jeff at CobraSteering has a sale on a variety of steering system combos for Yamaha jet boats and special pricing for the 4 tec steering for forum members

Click Here for Deep Discounts on Cobra Jet Steering while it lasts!!!!!!

You can dismiss this notice (if you are a member) by clicking the "X" in the upper right>>>>>>>>>

Dismiss Notice
  3. Reminder of the Seadeck group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until SEPTEMBER 30th to get in on this group buy - which HAS ALREADY reached the 30% discount point!

So if you are looking to replace that old worn or stinky carpeting and get an awesome new look for your boat, or perhaps your stock swim platform is crumbling and leaving black crap on you and your guests when you sit on it.....look no further! Don't miss this opportunity as this only happens once a year!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

Dismiss Notice

Bow/anchor locker hatch lock - replacement

Discussion in 'Yamaha AR240, SX240, 242 Limited / S / X/ E-Series' started by swatski, Sep 7, 2017.

1. swatski

swatski Jetboaters Fleet Admiral

Ratings:
    +8,083 / 122
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    AR
    Boat Length:
    Fixing my 2016 AR240, finally got the bow (anchor) locker lid delivered. Boy, this piece is heavy! - maybe 15-20lbs.
    upload_2017-9-7_15-23-16.png

I intend to replace the bow/anchor lid lock (#20 below) with the ski locker lock (#27) - for added safety. Wonder if anyone has done that?
    (I lost my bow/anchor locker lid when it slammed open in the middle of Atlantic... en route to Bimini this year)

I have all the parts now and getting ready to put it together. The ski locker lock assembly is a tad wider than the bow locker so I would need to bore out the opening in the lid which is not an issue.
    Just wondering if I am overlooking any other obvious issues... I sometimes do that!

Here is the parts fiche:
    upload_2017-9-7_15-17-45.png

Bow locker lock:
    upload_2017-9-7_15-18-50.png

Ski locker lock:
    upload_2017-9-7_15-18-18.png

--

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Bill D

Bill D Jetboaters Captain

Ratings:
    +2,083 / 34
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    Limited S
    Boat Length:
    I replaced the latch on my anchor locker with a slam latch from GEM products and added a gas strut. The latch is awesome. Real stainless steel, top quality and easier operation. If you already have to buy a new latch, it's just a little bit more.

This is the one I purchased as a direct replacement on my 2011. All I had to do was move the catch and bolt it in place. I am in the process of replacing the clean out hatch and ski locker with the same product.
    http://www.gemlux.com/catalog/2-5-Non-locking-Slam/5251-420-16MM

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. swatski

Ratings:
    +8,083 / 122
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    AR
    Boat Length:
    Fantastic - thank you!
    Looks great, and the price is actually about half of what the OEM bow latch cost.

--

• Like Like x 1
  4. swatski

Ratings:
    +8,083 / 122
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    AR
    Boat Length:
    So, I finished installing the new bow locker lid (w/nav lights, SeaDek etc.) and answered my own questions about the lock assembly.
    Basically, the ski-locker lock (that actually locks) does not fit as the stem hits the ladder under the lid.
    I am going to finish this with the GEM lock - thank you @Bill D! The OEM is just awful, and I am going to return it. No wonder it unlocked on me, it is junk.
    The good news is, my boat is getting put back together pretty fast. I just had a little impeller issue today, as I found some rocks... Will post somewhere else.
    Here is the locker lid back up, missing the lock, but it' already better. Just like everything else in this damn boat, I'm slowly rebuilding the whole (new) thing, lol.
    upload_2017-9-10_21-8-5.png

upload_2017-9-10_21-9-6.png

--

• Like Like x 4
  5. Britboater

Britboater Jetboaters Commander

Ratings:
    +955 / 6
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    AR
    Boat Length:
    Didn't you know Yamaha boats are supplied in kit form? :rolleyes::winkingthumbsup".

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. swatski

Ratings:
    +8,083 / 122
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    AR
    Boat Length:
    I forgot to post the final pics on the GEM lock install - it is GREAT! Needed some tweaking to make it lock super tight, but it is a very well designed and robust lock that is easy to adjust without any manufacturing.
    upload_2018-2-27_14-50-36.png
    Here is the bottom:
    upload_2018-2-27_14-51-49.png

I'll try to shoot pics of it locked, I don't have them.

Highly recommend this locking mechanism, it is less expensive than the OEM and much higher quality.

--

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Gofish206

Gofish206 Active Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 5
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    AR
    Boat Length:

That looks great can you take a pic of underside and latch. Thanks

8. Bruce

Bruce Jetboaters Fleet Admiral Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +10,456 / 90
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    SX
    Boat Length:
    #yamaha, this would be a nice upgrade.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Frank Marshall

Frank Marshall Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +44 / 0
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    FSH Sport
    Boat Length:
    ...and if you get yourself stuck in the anchor locker, you can unlock from the inside!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. swatski

Ratings:
    +8,083 / 122
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    AR
    Boat Length: