• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bow Roller Scratching Boat

MGreen063

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Has anyone had any problems with their Shoreland'r trailer bow roller scratching the front of the boat? I've only taken out the new boat a couple of times and the bow has shown signs of wear already. The roller doesn't seem to spin as I wench the boat up the bow roller. Should it be spinning with it or are these factory rollers known to do this damage?

I'm wondering if I should upgrade the bow roller to something different if anyone has any ideas.

bow.jpg
Thanks!

dlkhmk

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I had the same issue. Roller is hard plastic and doesn’t roll. A Mr Clean Magic Erasers will cleanup most of the scratches. I changed my roller out with a Stoltz brand roller. Much better quality and softer material that doesn’t scratch.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length

Tailwaters

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I was wanting to install a stainless bow plat over that area

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I replaced to a Stoltz as well and had no scratches since!

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
It scratched mine also. Before I took it out the first time!

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Those don't look like scratches but just rubber wearing off on the boat. A little lighter fluid on a rag will wipe those right off. A urethane roller may/may not leave the same residue. If it does it will be harder to see.

mdchachi

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Is there a temporary workaround one can use in the meantime before replacing the roller? For example putting a neoprene sleeve around it (like from one of those insulated can holders) or wrapping the roller in some kind of tape?

Daron

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
We just bought our boat last Saturday and took it out for the first time yesterday to break in the engines. This is how we picked ours up from the dealership, brand new. I admit I may be wrong from zero past experience, but that kind of pressure seems wrong. That factory yellow roller is very hard plastic, and I can see it definitely is scuffing the gel coat. Is the boat not supposed to be pulled tight enough up to the roller to bend it like that? I will be buying one of these Stoltz I soon as I click "post reply". Is the Stoltz roller made of a softer material?

Attachments

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We just bought our boat last Saturday and took it out for the first time yesterday to break in the engines. This is how we picked ours up from the dealership, brand new. I admit I may be wrong from zero past experience, but that kind of pressure seems wrong. That factory yellow roller is very hard plastic, and I can see it definitely is scuffing the gel coat. Is the boat not supposed to be pulled tight enough up to the roller to bend it like that? I will be buying one of these Stoltz I soon as I click "post reply". Is the Stoltz roller made of a softer material?
My new boat looks the same. I’ve got my new bow roller sitting on my tool box waiting for it to quit raining.

Daron

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
My new boat looks the same. I’ve got my new bow roller sitting on my tool box waiting for it to quit raining.
I'm assuming your boat isn't on the trailer right now? lol

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yes the stoltz roller is soft polyurethane unlike the stock roller which is like a hard plastic. Bow eye needs to be up against the roller so the front of the boat is secure and doesn't bounce. Ditch that stock roller asap to preserve your gelcoat. Doesn't take long with the stock roller before scratches will show up. At worst the stoltz roller can leave gummy streaks if you come in too hot but they clean up easy and much better than a scratch you'd get from the stock roller.

Daron

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Yes the stoltz roller is soft polyurethane unlike the stock roller which is like a hard plastic. Bow eye needs to be up against the roller so the front of the boat is secure and doesn't bounce. Ditch that stock roller asap to preserve your gelcoat. Doesn't take long with the stock roller before scratches will show up.
Thanks. Yeah I’ll have it ordered and ready to install the next time I have the boat off the trailer. Looks like a quick and simple swap out while the boats in the water. I love this forum.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm assuming your boat isn't on the trailer right now? lol
You can replace the bow roller while on the trailer but it's much easier to do it next time you take the boat to the water.

Daron

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I can’t imagine all that pressure on the stock one being relieved easily, let alone forcing the new one in its place. Then I would have to trailer it with out any protection if I can’t get it on, that’s more of a risk than I’m willing to take. I’d also be worried that there’s enough weight and pressure on it now that the bow could shft down enough and make contact with the mount. Since it’s not going to effect anything as it is now I’ll just swap it at the next dock.

Alabaster, AL? I’m assuming you go to Lake Martin a lot? Heard good things about it. It’s one of the top ones on our list to try once boating season arrives.

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Replaced my stock roller with a Stoltz I purchased on Amazon and it is a better product. Softer with no sharp edges. I have no worries when I crank the boat up tight against it.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I can’t imagine all that pressure on the stock one being relieved easily, let alone forcing the new one in its place. Then I would have to trailer it with out any protection if I can’t get it on, that’s more of a risk than I’m willing to take. I’d also be worried that there’s enough weight and pressure on it now that the bow could shft down enough and make contact with the mount. Since it’s not going to effect anything as it is now I’ll just swap it at the next dock.

Alabaster, AL? I’m assuming you go to Lake Martin a lot? Heard good things about it. It’s one of the top ones on our list to try once boating season arrives.
Typically if you loosen the bow strap the bow will raise an inch or two and then you’re able to swap out the rollers. If not then it’s best to take it with you to the lake so you can swap it once you put the boat in the water.

Yes I visit Lake Martin a few times each season. It’s only about an hour and a half from my house. We typically go to Lake Mitchell as our home base lake. You will LOVE lake Martin if you visit. Such a beautiful lake with nice, greenish blue clear waters!

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just replaced mine. I’m glad I did it at home bc I needed a longer bolt and a c clamp. Although I drilled out the roller a little so I could use the existing bolt. I used a 3.5” center bc everyone seemed to shorten the 4” to make it fit right. 957EEB55-EBF1-4146-9571-74BF0B9A4D91.jpeg

Daron

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Typically if you loosen the bow strap the bow will raise an inch or two and then you’re able to swap out the rollers. If not then it’s best to take it with you to the lake so you can swap it once you put the boat in the water.

Yes I visit Lake Martin a few times each season. It’s only about an hour and a half from my house. We typically go to Lake Mitchell as our home base lake. You will LOVE lake Martin if you visit. Such a beautiful lake with nice, greenish blue clear waters!
Thanks for that info haknslash. With that said I think I will try that first at home, just loosen the tension on the strap and if it does rise enough to clear the whole assembly then I'll knock out the swap in the driveway, where I would prefer to do it anyway. Like you and others have said, there seems to be unknown variables that pop up and then you're screwed at the dock. I'll let ya know. Thanks again.

AJack

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm about to do this, what size bolt did you need?

I just replaced mine. I’m glad I did it at home bc I needed a longer bolt and a c clamp. Although I drilled out the roller a little so I could use the existing bolt. I used a 3.5” center bc everyone seemed to shorten the 4” to make it fit right. View attachment 88248