• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Brake Rotors tow vehicle

2devine

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have just gone through a set of brake rotors on my suburban. I had ceramics on the pads and from my research this can cause less brake dust but also less stopping power. I looked into the slotted or drilled rotors but they seem to be more for racing at high speeds when you get the airflow to cool down the rotors. For stopping and towing a large boat the speeds are lower so those holes and slots wouldn't make a difference. A lot of the rotors now are created in China. Anyone use an OEM brand rotor that they like. It's made in the USA or Canada. I was also recommended that using a semi metallic pad is better for stopping power. Although it will create more brake dust it fits to the rotors a little better has a little's ceramic in it anyway. I was thinking of using the Napa premium but I heard those had issues too thanks for any help.

I have a 2007 new body style GMC Sierra Denali which depending on year model should be pretty similar to your Suburban.

As the factory brakes aged I installed EBC slotted rotors and green stuff pads. I did the same in my previous Dodge and a 300 ZX got the same rotors with yellow stuff pads. I have been very happy with all three sets of EBC brakes. They have performed better and lasted longer than the factory parts.

Many of their rotors are made here in the US. Not sure about the pads.

http://ebcbrakes.com/

I heard great things about those green pads. The awesome thing about this site is getting the end users review to back up all the claims advertised. Thanks

I have an 07 Dodge Ram. I use stock rotors and EBC green stuff pads. Works great. And I always get my new rotors turned before use unless the manuf. says not necessary. I have used O'rileys premium pads, they work good but squeak. Then there's the hassle of taking them off to return them.

I think rotor are an issue on most trucks with automatic transmissions. Why auto? With auto trans vehicles you must keep the brakes on firmly at stoplights to keep from creeping fwd. This leads to brake pad material deposits on hot rotors which causes much of the vibration. Nothing worse than towing your boat down a long hill and then clamping on the brakes at a stoplight to stay in place. On my 1994 chevy K2500 (standard) it had the original rotors at 450,000, worn and grooved but no warp. On my 2007 Tundra I go through a set every 75000 which (from what I read) is good. Toyota rotors and pad were excellent although the rears were desintegrating from rust. I have the vented powerslot rotors and hawk pad on right now with napa premium on the rear. I expected more from the high-quality powerlsot rotors. Mine wore quickly and started vibrating last year. They are incredibly worn and grooved like an old record. The performance of the hawk pad was less than the OEM toyota pads in all situations. The rear NAPA premiums are excellent, but paint them with hi-heat paint before you put them on. Following powerslot recommendations I put semi-metalic pads on the front last fall to wear off the brake pad deposits and get rid of the vibrations. They have only gotten worse. It is time for new front rotors. Since even the "best" best rotors don't seem to last I plan on on trying some cheap ones up front but go back to OEM pads. From what I understand ceramics pads are better that semi-metalic pad in all aspects except price. EBC makes very good brake equipment. I have their pads on all of my dirtbikes. I may try the IDEAL rotors next. I put 4 on my sons car although not much of a test. The quality looks very good and their ceramic pad perform excellent although the brake dust is ugly. In summary I don't think you will find a rotor brand that lasts forever, just ones that last longer than others based on what pads you choose. Hope this helps. Cam.

Back