• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

BRAKES-Teen Driving course

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
http://www.putonthebrakes.com/

PSA: My daughter and I attended this class in Raleigh today...Well Done ! I recommend this course for any new driver, AND any parent about to give the keys to a young driver. The program is national.

This was held at (and supported by) the NC State Trooper training track south side Raleigh. The course and the track had:
Accident avoidance (rapid maneuver steering)
Maneuver braking
slalom course
dropping your tire off the road (major cause of deaths in NC)
distraction course (cell phone targeted).. and
A wet slip track for spin outs. Polished concrete course with high grade epoxy coating...and soapy water....This was a real winner.

It's hard to practice a lot of the above items, this course presents them well. The parents can do a few sections of the class and get a lot of pointers to continue to help instruct your kids. They even provided the cars !!

If they do not serve your area there are several courses like this becoming popular. A couple years back I took my son to a similar one, I preferred this one. The staff and crew are VERY PASSIONATE about this program. State Police are there in full support as well.

Take a moment to watch the videos in the link above.
Be safe out there!

Thanks for the heads up. I'm a few years out on this, but good to know that these types of classes are out there.

In our 20s @Rana and I both spent a lot of weekends Autocrossing. I believe that it significantly improved our driving skills. As our kids get older I want to introduce them to Autocrossing first with carts and then behind the wheel of a car. My opinion is that Autocrossing helps you learn how to avoid pushing the car too far and how to recover if you do in a safe environment. It does not teach traffic (defensive driving) skills but it really helps develop a solid understanding of vehicle handling. I believe some time Autocrossing would be a good compliment to defensive driving classes. It sounds like the class @justason attended is a mixture of both.

Autocross is a BLAST! I've done a few with the Rocky Mountain PCA (Porsche Club of America). I've also attended their driving class that had several courses including skidpad (throttle steer), slalom and mini auto cross. Each had an instructor in car to tell what you where doing wrong and how to do it right.

I'd like to echo what Bruce said about vehicle handling and Autocross. It really teaches you how to handle your vehicle to up and beyond the limits. Autocross is not about speed nor is it about defensive driving (unless you consider the cones as people). It's just you versus the clock. I just wish I currently has a vehicle I could use for Autocross. PCA won't let me use my Touareg, even though it's just a Cayenne but with $20,000 back in my pocket! ;)

I just wish I currently has a vehicle I could use for Autocross. PCA won't let me use my Touareg, even though it's just a Cayenne minus $20,000!

Have you asked your local SCCA if they will let you run your Touareg? I checked and did not find a classification for it or a Cayenne so it may not be allowed.

Honestly, no I haven't. I have red the SCCA manual and they generally forbid SUVs and for good reason. PCA allows the Cayenne since it's in the family. Neither the Cayenne nor Touareg are not as big of a roll over risk as most other SUV but it's easier for organizers to blank disallow all in that class.
But honestly, as much as I'd love to run my V10 TDI in Autocross, I'd rather do it in some sexy little sports car that is low to the ground. Boat is purchased, so sexy sports cars is next. Someday.

I wish they had safety classes like this when I was a kid.

the Facebook page said Putonthebrakes was coming to CA last of April-first of May . I hadn't heard of this before ,but found out its held several times this year in Concord NC .

That sounds like an excellent course. DO some research before you choose a driving school. The course we picked for our first son was the same excellent one I took in my teens - but unfortunately NOT the same. They touted their driving simulator which ended up being a very bad grad theft auto type. He failed. The new instructor we found was very excellent, quickly found the flaws he was taught and corrected them. We used the same guy for the second son. Both have been driving for years with no mishaps. Do the research. None of our course available have any type of obstacle course they can work on. Cam.

the Facebook page said Putonthebrakes was coming to CA last of April-first of May . I hadn't heard of this before ,but found out its held several times this year in Concord NC .
They are based out of the greater charlotte area

That's awesome. I think I'm gonna sign both of mine up, thanks @justason

Back