• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Brand new 2020 212X - Ski & Tubing Questions

ScrewWorkn

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Just dropped my new 212X in the water last Friday. Got up on 2 skis first try, last try before that was 27 years ago or so. Didn't last long because there are some muscles that need attention, but love the boat.

Question:

1. For skiing I should be on empty ballast right? Ever a reason to add some?
2. How long of a rope are you using for skiing on the jet boat. Not sure what I used (borrowed from a neighbor) but the wake was turbulent. Thought moving back a little might help.
2. We are going to be doing a lot of tubing. I would like to get a dual rope, any recommendations? I see a bunch that say you need a 12 foot wide boat?
3. Again what length rope you using? The riders were getting some spray in their face.

Thanks guys, I'm I'll have more questions.

jsg73

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
If I recall correctly the ski rope is 75 feet. Some put a 15 foot extension on it. I just stay outside the wake most of the time.
I do not put in any ballast when skiing or tubing.
For tubing, I suggest you buy some swim goggles. Cheap and easy solution.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Biggest difference in ropes, is that for tubing or any towable, having it as long as it takes to get out of the spray. But the tube rope is many times thicker and has some stretch to it. It takes some shock out of the tow when getting going.

A tow rope for skiing and more specifically wakeboarding will be the length needed to get in the sweet spot, and that will be different for skiing over boarding. That and the rope will be a thin, no-stretch type. These ropes are like a synthetic winch cable almost, but thinner.

The handle on a ski rope may be narrower, but that isn't as important as a wakeboarder will want a wider padded handle, as they many times pass the handle often, if not behind their back.

When I say sweet spot, a skier wants a flat wake (no ballast) as they are crossing the wake with minimal air and usually at higher speeds. A wakeboarder wants that rope to put them in at the ramp of the wave. In other words, we are looking for air, and ballast gives us that volume. The rop puts us on the ramp. This is why all the best ropes have removable sections to tune the rope for the wave each time out.

Good luck!

PS: If you start surfing, buy a surf rope when possible. Yes you can shorten a ski rope and use it to get by. But a surf rope will have easy length adjustment at shorter lengths, will have grab handles every so many feet for the surfer to pull into the pocket. And the handle will be heavily padded. This is for the safety of the spectators in the back of the boat. There will always be that time that the rope will fly back at the boat as the surfer loses grip.