• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Break in

ncinthenext3

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi all, just want to go over break in procedures before the new toy gets wet this weekend. I'm told no more than 2k rpm for about the first hour and a half then no more than 5k rpm for the next two. After that have at it until your ten hour first oil change. Has this been your experience? I want to do this right! Thanks!

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
There should be a break in section in your owners manual that spells it out very well. That's what I used.

ncinthenext3

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yep thanks problem is that's with the boat which isn't with me and I can't find a download on yamahaboats.com

ncinthenext3

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I swear I was there. I looked all over. Can't thank you enough. I wasnt too far off thankfully. Appreciate the help.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

EmeryZ28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
so my dealer said that although Yamaha says there is a break in period there really isn't. He said the boat is test run around a lake in Tennessee right by the factory and they more or less do the break in. thoughts on that?

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
so my dealer said that although Yamaha says there is a break in period there really isn't. He said the boat is test run around a lake in Tennessee right by the factory and they more or less do the break in. thoughts on that?
I would follow the manual instead of your dealer just to protect your warranty....unless your dealer is going to guarantee the he will cover all of your warranty work no questions asked :)

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Dealer talk = grain of salt....

I highly doubt Yamaha has the time or resources to water test every single boat for an hour and a half. If they did they would have known about the anchor locker issue long before we would have :oops::p:D

I would follow the manual for all service and maintenance intervals. If you don't you're potentially putting your warranty at risk per their clause.

Last edited:

EmeryZ28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
well this dealer is the largest volume Yamaha jet boat dealer in the country and has a laundry list of awards from Yamaha, so I somewhat think they know what they are talking about. I also noticed my boat had .8 hours on it, so who knows.

Dough

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Every boat is tested before leaving. The break in is very short. I'd do it.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
well this dealer is the largest volume Yamaha jet boat dealer in the country and has a laundry list of awards from Yamaha, so I somewhat think they know what they are talking about. I also noticed my boat had .8 hours on it, so who knows.
Ya know, that dealer should just tell Yamaha engineers they know better. I mean, surely they do because they sell boats instead of build engines.

My boat had .2 hours on it when I bought it brand new. I'd hardly call that a break in but do as you wish and whatever you feel comfortable with on your boat.

EmeryZ28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
just sharing a story, not trying to change anyones practices of boat break in.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Dealers (of all kinds) love to tell you all sorts of things :D

And while some of what he says may be true in regards to at least getting each boat wet or making sure it functionally checks out, I don't see them spending over an hour and a half on each boat that leaves the dealer to break in a new engine.

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Your not saving anything by not doing other than 95 minutes. I agree that it's likely not a big deal which is all the dealer was probably trying to say. I bet if you asked the dealer to put it in writing that he'll honor the warranty work that not doing it possibly voids, and he'd tell you to do the break in.

viper15

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When I picked up my brand new 2017 AR195, the dealer went through their pre-delivery checklist. On that checklist was the break-in, which the dealer performed before delivery to me. They even showed me the hour-meter which had shown almost 2 hours on it. So I didn't even need to go through the break-in procedure. I don't know the exact conditions of them performing the break-in (i.e. - was it done on a lake, swimming pool, just hooked up to a hose ... who knows?), but they assured me that it was already done. "Go have fun" they told me.