• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bringing home a 2014 AR192 today!

luxehomes

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi,

Thank you for those who have replied to my post from last week. We were looking at SX240 and AR210 from private sellers. We decided to pass on those two because AR210 had damages and SX240 was more than 3 hours away and we thought this might be too big. We went to a local marina and saw a 2014 AR192 which was in great shape and has only 110 hours. We are bringing home this boat later today. We may regret we didn't get a bigger boat but being a first time boater and the size of the boat ramp we will be using, we hope we made the right decision.

Is there anything we should check before we pick up the boat?

Do you have any recommendation on boat insurance?

Lastly, the boat will be used and kept at our vacation home. There is a carport but no garage. We have space in our garage. Is it better to bring the boat and keep it in the garage during winter?

Thank you!

Attachments

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congratulations! Exciting day for you.

To check: I would not check more/less than any other pickup you may have seen on here. Check the bilge for water line marks. Check the engine runs well. Inspect the impeller (bring a flashlight with you). Look well around the hull outside for bumps, gashes, etc. The key is not that it be perfect, but that it is what you expect for what you are paying. Smell the oil (you are looking for a 'burned' smell, which may indicate the engine has been overheated). Sea trial is always a good idea--see if you can take it out, make sure it goes, no leaks of substance, bilge pump not constantly running, etc. Open every compartment--again, looking for signs of water flooding, but also do the hatches open well, any damage in there. Lift mats to look underneath.

Then, assuming it is all as you expect, go buy your boat and enjoy!

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Congratulations! It is a super clean looking boat. :winkingthumbsup"

Were you able to sea trial the boat?

Jim

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

luxehomes

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We are at the dealer. We just noticed a repair work done in the hull. They are contacting the owner to get more info…..

luxehomes

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The seller said he went to a shallow beach and hit a rock and scratched the bottom. He had a local marina repaired it and insurer paid for it.

Could you please take a look at the photos and let me know what you think?

So disappointed we are going home without the boat today🥲

Attachments

Last edited:

luxehomes

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I hate to say this but ask the dealer to check the records to see if it has had the timing chain replaced and if not will they cover it if it goes bad. 2014 was a timing chain year I know I had one hatch at around 350 hours https://jetboaters.net/threads/have-you-had-a-1-8-timing-chain-failure-was-it-in-warranty-and-how-has-yamaha-handled-it.10799/page-7#post-193260
Congratulations! It is a super clean looking boat. :winkingthumbsup"

Were you able to sea trial the boat?

Jim

luxehomes

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That’s a good point. I will ask about the timing chain.

Yes, we did a sea trial and everything went well.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not the neatest and cleanest repair I have seen. Hard to tell from the pics. But it is on the bottom of the boat, where basically only you will know it is there.

When you press on the repair area, is it solid (like the hull around it)? Unfortunately the inside part of the repair is not going to be something you will be able to see. Main concern should be if it was repaired correctly if the hole went through the glass mat. If the glass was impacted, then the proper repair is to remove the impacted glass, lay new glass and re gelcoat. If the hole went through the glass, then the proper repair is to remove the impacted glass, lay up from the back side with new glass and re gelcoat--a much bigger deal. That bigger deal is needed to restore the structural integrity...

I would not say that because it has been repaired that you automatically should not buy it. Heck, I have 2 spots on my hull where I hit things and had to have it repaired. But with any repair you risk that it was not done correctly. So my recommendation would be to evaluate the best you can to see if it was done right and then decide if, given that information, it meets your risk tolerance.

luxehomes

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not the neatest and cleanest repair I have seen. Hard to tell from the pics. But it is on the bottom of the boat, where basically only you will know it is there.

When you press on the repair area, is it solid (like the hull around it)? Unfortunately the inside part of the repair is not going to be something you will be able to see. Main concern should be if it was repaired correctly if the hole went through the glass mat. If the glass was impacted, then the proper repair is to remove the impacted glass, lay new glass and re gelcoat. If the hole went through the glass, then the proper repair is to remove the impacted glass, lay up from the back side with new glass and re gelcoat--a much bigger deal. That bigger deal is needed to restore the structural integrity...

I would not say that because it has been repaired that you automatically should not buy it. Heck, I have 2 spots on my hull where I hit things and had to have it repaired. But with any repair you risk that it was not done correctly. So my recommendation would be to evaluate the best you can to see if it was done right and then decide if, given that information, it meets your risk tolerance.
I got a copy of the repair invoice. It says severe structural and chine damage. The total repair cost was $10k.:eek: The dealer said they were not aware of the repair. How can the seller not disclose this? This is not just some scratches and chips. I know the boat was throughly cleaned by the dealer at least twice. How can they not know the hull has been repaired?

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I wouldn't buy it for any more than 20K if even at all, seems some shady business is going on

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
#luxehomes I have good sx190 FS in Miami.
Sorry for shameless plug.

Definitely keep an eye out for another 192 if you want a SC. That one would be a pass. Good eye now and not later after sale is 'as is"

yjander

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I have the same boat and its great. Easy to use with 6 people. Love the size too.

Honestly, that amount of damage would bother me unless I could get a proper survey of the damage by a qualified professional to make sure it was done correctly. That must of been one hell of a boulder to cause 10k in damage.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
On the upside, if the bill was $10k, it is more likely that they did the job correctly.

On the downside, it was a heck of a hit and if not done correctly you will have bigger problems. Especially if you hit something/beach it at the same place...

@yjander 's thought as to a marine surveyor is a good one, if you are interested in proceeding.