• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Brisket Dedication....

ClemsonTiger

REJECTED / BANNED
REJECTED / BANNED
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Being from the Chesapeake born and raised, seafood comes easy to me; however, after living in Dallas & Fort Worth for 5 years I've grown a deep appreciation for REAL Brisket. Not your local BBQ spot that happens to have Brisket on the menu....I'm talking about legit, Texas, smoked Brisket with dry rub only and served in brown butcher paper (NO BBQ SAUCE)......BBQ sauce (ketchup) is a sacrilege!

I've tried my share at it....never turned out as good as the native Texan's...but I think its damn good for Florida standards!

Trim'd the fat and scored the fat cap. Slathered with yellow mustard and dusted with my dry rub. (powdered mustard seed, powdered garlic, powdered onion, salt, pepper, brown sugar)

12lbs. Brisket
3am Saturday morning...going in the smoker with mesquite chips @ 210 degrees for 8 hours!

IMG_1908.jpg IMG_1909.jpg IMG_1910.jpg IMG_1911.jpg IMG_1912.jpg IMG_1913.jpg

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks good but I think you’re going to need more time and probably more heat depending on your smoker. Make sure to post up pics of the finished product. One thing that we do is have a spray bottle with apple juice. After about hour 5 give it some spray. Spray it every hour after that. Makes an incredible bark, especially on ribs!

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@ClemsonTiger - definitely more time than 8 hours @ 210. The preview looks awesome! By the time you read this you may just be waking up

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Being from the Chesapeake born and raised, seafood comes easy to me; however, after living in Dallas & Fort Worth for 5 years I've grown a deep appreciation for REAL Brisket. Not your local BBQ spot that happens to have Brisket on the menu....I'm talking about legit, Texas, smoked Brisket with dry rub only and served in brown butcher paper (NO BBQ SAUCE)......BBQ sauce (ketchup) is a sacrilege!

I've tried my share at it....never turned out as good as the native Texan's...but I think its damn good for Florida standards!

Trim'd the fat and scored the fat cap. Slathered with yellow mustard and dusted with my dry rub. (powdered mustard seed, powdered garlic, powdered onion, salt, pepper, brown sugar)

12lbs. Brisket
3am Saturday morning...going in the smoker with mesquite chips @ 210 degrees for 8 hours!

View attachment 81118 View attachment 81119 View attachment 81120 View attachment 81121 View attachment 81122 View attachment 81123
Fyi as a former competitive cook and a 6th place at the jack worlds in brisket. From the pic your flat looks way too lean. Also a off the shelf rub like head country would help a lot. Here's a butt I did on a newyears

Attachments

Last edited:

ClemsonTiger

REJECTED / BANNED
REJECTED / BANNED
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Fyi as a former competitive cook and a 6th place at the jack worlds in brisket. From the pic your flat looks way too lean. Also a off the shelf rub like head country would help a lot.
Glad to disappoint ;)

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Glad to disappoint ;)
Just trying to help. Sorry if I offended.

If I'm home cooking I also use a packer and trim myself. Most of the butchers cut off too much fat cap and you lose so much moisture.

ClemsonTiger

REJECTED / BANNED
REJECTED / BANNED
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
No offense...never offended. Always willing to listen.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Also a trick that I do is I actually sear a brisket on a 500 degree grill before it goes on the smoker. Then re sprinkle with rub

My rub comment is that. It is way cheaper to modify a great rub than build your own. In my competitive days. I always went to sams and got the huge bottles of head country. Then I would add coriander, fennel or other spices depending on the meat. It's just a great base and is very consistent.

Last edited:

John McLaughlin

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How did your brisket come out? Many say it is the hardest to BBQ although I am not sure why. Like others I think 210 is to low for the whole cook. You might want to keep it at that temp for an hour or two if you want a smokey flavor then bounce the temp up to 250 to finish. I personally am not big on smoke flavor so I will cook mine at around 250 until it reaches my desired temp. As to rubs IMO that is a personal thing. I always make my own rubs however for brisket I keep it simple, salt and pepper with paprika mixed in. other techniques that are used is to wrap during the cook either in butcher paper or foil. again that is a personal choice. I only wrap after the cook.
Happy BBQing [flag]