• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Budget stereo?

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I haven’t pick up my new AR240 yet but I haven’t heard anything good about the stock stereo. I’ve Got a few amazon gift cards and don’t want to spend a bunch on a brand new boat. Which is a better bang for your buck...add two speakers at the captains chairs and a amp or just replace the stock 4 speakers? I pretty much only boat in salt water. Stereo equipment doesn’t seem to last long here. That was the only thing I liked about the stock speakers in my old boat. They lasted longer than aftermarket

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I haven’t pick up my new AR240 yet but I haven’t heard anything good about the stock stereo. I’ve Got a few amazon gift cards and don’t want to spend a bunch on a brand new boat. Which is a better bang for your buck...add two speakers at the captains chairs and a amp or just replace the stock 4 speakers? I pretty much only boat in salt water. Stereo equipment doesn’t seem to last long here. That was the only thing I liked about the stock speakers in my old boat. They lasted longer than aftermarket
I always say JL. Yes they cost a little more for 6.5s but they will last and give great sound.

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looking $2-300 budget. Honestly it’s killing me with the thought of buying a boat this expensive and not being happy with it as is.

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looking $2-300 budget. Honestly it’s killing me with the thought of buying a boat this expensive and not being happy with it as is.
The polk speakers are pretty good from what i hear.

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m thinking two by the captain chairs, two on the swim deck and a amp for those 4 added. Since the main stereo is on the swim deck, are the audio outputs on the stereo or connects system?

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’m thinking two by the captain chairs, two on the swim deck and a amp for those 4 added. Since the main stereo is on the swim deck, are the audio outputs on the stereo or connects system?
If you put an amp just to those 4 and power the other 4 off the radio the 4 coming off the amp will just about cancel out the other 4.

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What about wake tower speakers. Can u hear them in the boat? Or do they project behind the boat? Hearing music on the back of the boat is more important than anything.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thats what tower speakers are best at, projecting audio out of the cabin. I would probably do those and an inexpensive amp.

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What about wake tower speakers. Can u hear them in the boat? Or do they project behind the boat? Hearing music on the back of the boat is more important than anything.
The problem with a budget stereo is you end up buying things twice. You buy stuff because it's affordable or cheap but then you're not happy with the sound quality and you end up buying JL audio or wet sounds anyway.

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was thinking Polk or fusion if I do cabin and swim deck speakers. Kickers if I go tower. I like the clarion amp for power.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Kickee makes a great speaker, on par with anyone out there fof the money. Same with Rockford Fosgate.

I was lookinf at Rockville amps. Cheap cea rated power is always good.

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I saw them on amazon with great reviews but it didn’t make the top ten amps. Even Pyle was on it and I’ve had a Pyle amp. Worked ok but didn’t last more than one season.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I trust amazon reviews as much as magic beans. Modt people on there dont know their ass from a hole in the ground.

Rockville is a house brand for one of the big car audio websites. And unlike most inexpensive stuff, it does rated power. Its up there in the bang for the buck category.

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I trust amazon reviews as much as magic beans. Modt people on there dont know their ass from a hole in the ground.

Rockville is a house brand for one of the big car audio websites. And unlike most inexpensive stuff, it does rated power. Its up there in the bang for the buck category.
So you would pick the Rockville over clarion? I like the clarion for its tiny size but the Rockville has a ton of power. I just want it to last more than one season.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So you would pick the Rockville over clarion? I like the clarion for its tiny size but the Rockville has a ton of power. I just want it to last more than one season.
There is a whole thread here on Rockville, I would read it.
Clarions have worked very well for many members here. A xc1410 will power 4 Polk db651s very nicely with no nonsense. I have two of those powering 4 and 6 DBs, respectively, both 4 and 2 ohm combinations work very well.
Those xc1410s are more awkward to connect than most but are D class, efficient and reliable.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
For sure. Tiny size isnt as big a deal as enough power to hear them imo.

I would do a 6ch amp and some towers and go from there.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There is a whole thread here on Rockville, I would read it.
Clarions have worked very well for many members here. A xc1410 will power 4 Polk db651s very nicely with no nonsense. I have two of those powering 4 and 6 DBs, respectively, both 4 and 2 ohm combinations work very well.
Those xc1410s are more awkward to connect than most but are D class, efficient and reliable.

Fair poimt. They seem to be hit or miss in quality. But or the price, they make power. If i was concerned about quality, id be looking for a deal on mainstream equipment like rockford (what i run), kenwood, etc.