• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bumper Placement

Edward

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I am one day into ownership of a new 2015 AR240 and have a simple question as I prepare my gear for tomorrows maiden voyage.......bumper placement.

There are 3 cleats. Bow, middle (midships?), stern.

Right now I'm thinking of not using the cleats and using the aft section of the tower and the box hand rails, thus leaving all cleats available to tie up if necessary.

What do you do?

Having fun today working out some of the kinks.

Thanks!

Ed

Edward

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Helipilot11, thanks for the suggestion I'll look into those.

For now I'm just tie them until I have an easier/better/faster solution. Those look interesting not sure if the clip would work on the tower.

Here is what I've come up with thus far.

Attachments

Helipilot11

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
We clip one on the side window and the front stainless handle.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I use the perko bumper holders. Easy to use and slide on and off.

Attachments

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ordered those same ones yesterday, @subysti .

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I used the suction cup mounts last year (with those contour fenders). 3 times I was chasing down runaway fenders. Love the convenience, but they didn't love me. Seemed they were good for a few months, but towards the end of the season they started failing. I actually ordered replacements before finding those fender locks.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I use 1/8" para cord line on my fenders so that I can hang them on the cleats AND still have room to tie the dock lines up.

I only use the stern and midship cleats for fenders. The bow is unnessesary to fender because it is too far away from the dock -- unless you are an out of control docker! In that case you should give a fender to your mate and have them be ready to put the fender between the boat and whatever you are about to hit.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
The 240's have a much flatter side than the 230's did. So 3 fenders work better but only one or two will come into play once tied. I put mine on midship cleat, rear cockpit grab rail on gunwale, and bow grab rail at aft end. Everything else is too far north and south. With a tower, you can use the tower for both midship and aft, and grab rail up front.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
One on the curved part of the bow is useless.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Even in a 230, I liked to approach the dock at a 45 degree angle bow first. That fender is on the bow in case I blow the approach, not for actual tie up. On the 240, the sides are flat and a bow fender is beneficial if you tie up a little looser. You only need 1 fender if you don't have any wind or water movement...and if your perfect. Are you? Set the odds in your favor.

Last edited:

Edward

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for all ideas and input. I'm gonna start with my original idea and change as necessary once I'm able to see the boat next to the dock and better understand the dimensions/angles. If I remember I'll take pictures and provide feedback tomorrow to help future owners like myself.

Ed

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I use Taylor Made fender locks:

Before using these, I would use midships cleat and then tie off the aft end of my tower.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
On my AR240, I use the bow cleat (almost useless), the middle cleat and the very aft end of the tower. Usually the midship cleat and the one on the tower do 98% of the work.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I use Fender Tender II, http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=34014, to hang my fender on because I found the cleats are to low to effectively hang the fenders. I use two fender per side, 1) hanging off the top of the side window at the drivers or passenger seat location, 2) hanging off the grab rail just aft of the side window.

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
This is where I place mine on the 15' 242

20141004_130817.jpg

Edward

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Williamsone46, that's pretty much what I did. I didn't think I'd need the one on the bow however when coming in and dropping off my wife to get the trailer for recovery I mis judged the wind when approaching the dock. I thought I was heading straight into the wind with the dock on my starboard toward the dock at a slight angle but when I got close, put the jets in reverse and wheel towards the dock to pull the stern in the wind blew my bow into the dock before the stern could react. Good thing I had the bumper there.

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Williamsone46, that's pretty much what I did. I didn't think I'd need the one on the bow however when coming in and dropping off my wife to get the trailer for recovery I mis judged the wind when approaching the dock. I thought I was heading straight into the wind with the dock on my starboard toward the dock at a slight angle but when I got close, put the jets in reverse and wheel towards the dock to pull the stern in the wind blew my bow into the dock before the stern could react. Good thing I had the bumper there.
I usually have my wife or whomever is helping at the dock just hold a fender in one hand and an extended boat hook in the other if I'm coming into a complicated slip or somewhere with poor conditions (weather/wind,etc). I think that bow cleat is worthless for anything other than anchoring or mooring (I feel the same way about the stern cleats).

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I generally use all three cleats.