• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bunk Scratches

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I trailer my boat a bunch and noticed this weekend there are some nice scratches along the Keel from the bunks. is this avoidable if I continue to trailer the boat

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I trailer my boat a bunch and noticed this weekend there are some nice scratches along the Keel from the bunks. is this avoidable if I continue to trailer the boat
Is that along the entire length of the keel or just certain areas @Evil Sports? I'm wondering if you have some bunk carpet balding or sticking up. The other issue may be sand on your bunk carpet caused by power loading. How old is the carpeting?

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Same here! Looks like i'll need to replace my bunk carpet as its almost worn straight through (Bald). Is there a softer carpet I can use to avoid scratching?

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Same here! Looks like i'll need to replace my bunk carpet as its almost worn straight through (Bald). Is there a softer carpet I can use to avoid scratching?
Not sure about softer carpeting as I don't use carpeting. You can buy the plastic covers for the ends of the bunks where the carpeting gets the most wear.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Gym I saw those and wondered if plastic on gelcoat would be better or worse. For a 1 time never have to replace again option Id def do it, but at what cost to the gelcoat?

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Gym I saw those and wondered if plastic on gelcoat would be better or worse. For a 1 time never have to replace again option Id def do it, but at what cost to the gelcoat?
@njmr2fan I'm assuming your carpeting is warn towards the rear of the bunk boards. If so that is usually due to the boats first contact point as you power load your boat.
( I have stopped power loading partially for this reason). The end caps would give your boat a smoother transition onto the carpeted bunk. I believe there are members here who have used these bunk slicks on the entire length of their bunk boards. Hopefully they will chime in with their experience. Here is what I am suggesting. http://www.easternmarine.com/loadrite-plastic-bunk-cover-edge-2-x-6-1008-46

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Another issue is your bow stop and stern tie down straps. If you have a bow stop with any fore / aft play in it or stern straps that aren't tight this will cause your boat to move slightly on your bunks. I welded my bow stop and changed over to the ratcheting stern straps. Also winch your boat up tight to the bow eye when hauling out. On long tows with the boat, stop occasionally to check your winch strap and stern straps for tightness.

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Well I wont be able to inspect my carpet till next season. I will try to get some pictures in the next couple days. I am guilty of some power loading but I come in pretty hot as it is to avoid blowing out the ramp sand. This season my ramp has been really shallow so sand could be an issue

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Last edited:

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Evil Sports I had my bunks wear completely through the gelcoat on both sides of the keel. I went to a local fiberglass repair place to get a quote and he just so happened to have a 23' Yamaha with wear exactly in the same place as mine. He wanted close to 800.00 to fix it so I decided to do it myself. While fixing the keel I added another layer of carpeting to the existing carpeting. The wear on the bunks and my keel is from where the boat centers itself on the trailer. @njmr2fan that's exactly what I was looking for, I only want something on the first few feet of the bunk to eliminate wear.

IMG_20150810_154448_846.jpg

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
OH MAN!!! I don't want wear like that. I realize your boat weighs more, but I'm sliding on and off these 3-4 days a week! I need some channeled nylon / PTFE / Plastic

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Lets keep track of the best solution here. I need to do something for the next season or mine is gonna look like ass

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just ordered new carpet for mine and hope to get it done before the season is over.

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
same issue on mine...the factory bunk carpet is secured with industrial grade staples(i mean they are huge)

so i couldn't get it off... i was thinking...can i just double it on top of it? err..

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Years ago everyone was excited by a product call Ultimate Bunk Boards. They use a special plastic to replace the bunk board with a slippery plastic piece. After using them for a while owners started to see accelerated damage to their hulls.

I am sticking with soft spruce boards covered with quality marine carpet. They are cheap and easy to replace.

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I can't see how plastic wouldn't scratch the hell out of the bottom of the boat. Heck if carpet scratches it how could plastic not? Nothing but carpet for me.

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
So we have discussed the not to do's, I cant believe after 3 seasons I have this amount of damage. My 4winns went on and off the trailer for 10 years with no issues. How do I prevent this gonig forward

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How do I prevent this gonig forward
My thoughts - note I have no special expertise, but this is where I have landed after quite a bit of trial and error:

1) Spray your carpeted bunks down with hose nozzle (with boat off trailer) as often as possible to reduce the amount of entrained sand in the carpet
2) Minimize the use of reverse when you are on or near the trailer - this throws sand from ramp directly on your bunk carpet
3) Use silicone spray on bunk carpet to minimize friction (be careful about when you take off your straps, etc)
4) Tighten down bow and transom straps such that boat cannot scrub fore & aft as you drive down the road (do a bow stop mod if you have MFI trailer, something like this: https://jetboaters.net/threads/the-official-what-did-you-do-to-your-jet-boat-today-thread.2661/page-7#post-55003 - note if you have other than MFI trailer, this does not apply to you)
5) Stop after a couple of miles of towing to ensure your straps are tight
6) Don't power load if you don't have to...kicks up a lot of bottom debris onto your bunk carpets & you can really scrub hard without realizing it
Note: I typically drive on but use winch to pull up last 6 inches or so
7) Upgrade to a good winch if your trailer's OEM equipment isn't up to snuff (most aren't, I did this: https://jetboaters.net/threads/the-official-what-did-you-do-to-your-jet-boat-today-thread.2661/page-7#post-55653)

Anyway, those are my thoughts. Others will chime in, I'm sure. Take the constellation of opinions and head for the middle, the truth is in there somewhere.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I can't see how plastic wouldn't scratch the hell out of the bottom of the boat. Heck if carpet scratches it how could plastic not? Nothing but carpet for me.
Because the carpet can trap sand and debris whereas it just flows off the plastic. I've used both so I know. I'm currently using the UBB's (not looking for a debate here) I've had no issues as I have a welded bow stop and ratcheting stern straps holding keeping the boat from sliding glass around.
If I'm not mistaken, my wear is up front on the bunks not the rear. The rear is usually pretty well submerged. I dont need to powerload (I have shifted myself over while up on the bunks).

Considered this.

http://www.gatorbak.com/

$185 for a 5"x10' long pair.

Maybe this???

http://www.explosivepowersports.com/caliber-bunk-wrap-kit-grey-16-x-2-x-6-w-end-caps-23052/
That's because the front of your keel is the first point of contact with your bunks when you load your boat onto the trailer. I'm betting the rear of your bunk board is the part where the carpeting is warn down. Do you power load your boat?

Last edited:

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's because the front of your keel is the first point of contact with your bunks when you load your boat onto the trailer. I'm betting the rear of your bunk board is the part where the carpeting is warn down. Do you power load your boat?
My bunk boards are worn up front near the bow, not the rear. I try to float on at no wake 1, no power loading allowed by me.