• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Buy the boat first? or the New truck then the boat?

spidicus

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey guys,

Currently I have an 04 Tacoma extended cab with 3.4 v6 and auto tranny 4x4 with 230k miles but in excellent condition.

My question is: should I buy a new 2019 Yamaha AR190 first and use my current truck knowing that my girlfriend and her kid would have to meet me at the lake in their own car because we can't all fit remotely comfortably in the Tacoma extended cab. Regardless I suppose I could sacrifice a little and squeeze in the current truck now for a year or two and get the new truck a year or two down the road. Or should I go with a new crew cab truck and get boat next season?

Additionally, I'm a little worried on the 04 Tacoma's ability to stop the boat. I'm like about 5 miles from Lake Mead Nevada... but its a steep down grade from where I live in Vegas to the boat launch at Lake Meade. I'm certain trips to Lake Havasu (2.1/4 hours away) and Lake Powell (4 hours away) will be in the yearly destination plans. It would suck having to take 2 cars on the road trips to the other lakes because we all can't fit in the 04 Tacoma extended cab.

New truck I'm considering 2018 Tacoma double cab v6.

Thoughts?

AJack

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hmm, I manage budgets and one technique is to get what you need, and then force additional funding for what you need. Thus, I would get the boat, and then show the need for the truck later (assuming the truck can safely tow the boat). Of course, your situation is a little different with your relationship.

I have a Jeep that the family cannot fit in. I then "had" to get a family vehicle, but needed to be able to tow the Jeep since I frequently move (military). Of course, I needed a trailer too! Now that I have a truck, I had the means to tow a boat! It all began with the Jeep.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A few thoughts I have. Might help, might not.
  • 5 miles is no big deal to be "squished" in the cab of a pickup IMO.
    • Especially if you like your girlfriend and her kid is nice :D
    • Having a second vehicle in this situation isn't terrible either.
    • If you're really that close, perhaps renting a slip at that marina would quell some of the anxiety?
      • I bet you use the boat more with it slipped just minutes away!
    • The downhill isn't a huge concern for your truck.
      • The AR190 is fairly light
      • Use a lower gear when headed down the hill
      • Consider having brakes added to the boat trailer
      • make sure the brakes on the Tacoma are in top shape. Aftermarket pads aren't expensive and will pay dividends.
  • For the longer tips.
    • What does your Girlfriend drive? Could her vehicle be used for those trips?
    • Most mid-sized SUV's can handle the 190.
    • Some minivans can handle a 190 as well.
    • I've seen one person on here towing it with an Escape, though I wouldn't recommend that any further than around the block.
    • What about renting a fullsize SUV for the 2-3 times a year you make a long trip.
      • It's cheaper than owning a larger vehicle full time
      • Get to try new/upgraded vehicles to see what you like
  • On the next tow vehicle
    • Consider an upgrade to a fullsize SUV/Pickup
    • Upgraded cooling systems make travelling in the heat no big deal
    • You'll be setup to upgrade the boat in a few years :D
    • The total cost of ownership of a fullsize is typically not appreciably more than a mid-size in my experience
    • Towing capability becomes an afterthought when you move into a fullsize
Both times I've bought a boat I had a "capable, but not ideal" vehicle to start with. Upgraded within a year on both experiences. This last time I kinda wish I would have bought the wife a larger SUV, and bought me a mid-size sedan/wagon to drive. I got a fullsize pickup instead, and now when she upgrades this fall we'll have two tow vehicles again.

Finally, Don't buy the boat and let it sit because you don't have a tow vehicle. In other words, be sure you have the budget to upgrade both. I would buy the boat first if I was comfortable with the truck to start the season, with the idea that a tow vehicle upgrade might be in short order. If I didn't have a way to trailer the boat home I would get the truck first :D

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
X2 on the boat first with conditions being that you have a safe, reliable and comfortable way to get the boat to the water and back. I was presented a very similar choice this past winter/spring. New truck or a used boat, both around same value. I have an 06 2500 Silverado/Duramax that needed a lot of work to pass a State inspection and keep it on the road for a couple more years and tow the 23' Yamaha back and forth from home to slip a couple times a year. I chose to fix the truck myself and put the truck purchase off a couple of years, when we are done pouring mod./upgrade/repair $$$ into that hole in the water we call our 91 Beneteau 35s5. And honestly, if I knew then, what I know now I would do it again as long as the truck stays reliable. I LOVE BOATS!

Last edited:

malibu Dan

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The surge brakes on the trailer should help decrease some of the anxiety

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The surge brakes on the trailer should help decrease some of the anxiety
That may be a perk for 195 owners!
My 2012 190 had no trailer breaks, I was surprised as those are required in some states.

--

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
We should make this a poll!

Boat first!

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
our experience back in 2010
- buy boat wednesday
- buy van thursday before boat appears on credit report.
- attempted to buy new motorcycle cycle also, wife said no way at that point, unable to convince her spending 100k in 3 days would fun. lol. she still teases me.

spidicus

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Dan144k.. dang dude 100k in 3 days.. u got skills.. lol

Sounds like everyone is of same mind.. boat first.. :)

I guess worst case scenario... I might be like Dan144k. And buy a new truck in short order too.. those f150 eco boosts look nice ;)

Farmdog267

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I picked up a 2018 SX 190 back in April and at the time was towing it with my 2012 Tacoma 4.0 dcsb. The truck was rated for 6400 pound tow capacity and did ok. Longer trips to the shore or to the mountains, it was hairy at times either locking out 5th gear and running higher rpms in 4th or leaving it in 5th and watch it hunt for gears at times. It got the job done for the most part.

I upgraded a few weeks ago to an f150 crew cab with a larger bed and such.. The extra cab space is nice in adition to the cargo capacity from the bigger bed... (coolers, towable tubes etc.) I would say youy should be good to start with the tacoma and then look to upgrade in the near future. Good luck!

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Agreed with the others, boat first. Once you get the boat, you will end up getting a bigger truck than a Tacoma.