• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Buying 2018 Yamaha SX190, need advice ( Now looking for AR/SX230)

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That is about the range for a 2006-2009 bost pending hrs used and condition plus upgrades.

Check the hrs, and see if anyone near by has YDS to check diagnostics on it.

Upholstery can be redone on boat pending what you want for 4-6k. Add in some nice sea deck make some of the many mods on here you will have a great boat to fit your needs for less then 32k

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Ando

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

What is YDS? Diagnostics reader?

Dwrat

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That boat looks real nice.
This time of year you can get really good deals on boats so don't ever pay full asking price.
I'd offer $18K if it looks good and if he accepts it time for a water test.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That boat looks real nice.
This time of year you can get really good deals on boats so don't ever pay full asking price.
I'd offer $18K if it looks good and if he accepts it time for a water test.
I agree. It is almost too nice... But could be legit.

--

Ando

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I saw this boat in person. I don't have much experience, but only issues was wear and tear on the seats.

What's nice about it? hours are low?
He says it runs perfectly and we can take it out to the lake once I am ready.

Ando

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So guys first and foremost thanks for all the great information and advise.

Going to test the 2007 AR230 at a lake next weekend before I pay him. If all goes well I will buy it at the spot.
Anything I should look for at my test drive?

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ask him to show you how clean out plugs work. Pay attention to what seems like any cavatation.

Once away from dock see if he will let you drive but try it at slow speeds as well, it's different (like jetski with less control at slower speeds).

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So guys first and foremost thanks for all the great information and advise.

Going to test the 2007 AR230 at a lake next weekend before I pay him. If all goes well I will buy it at the spot.
Anything I should look for at my test drive?
The max RPM should be around 10k, speed at WOT around 40. No serious cavitation (or impeller slippage) - like wheels spinning in mud. Pull the bilge plug after the ride and see how much water got in the bilge - can be some but shouldn't be massive amounts.
Good luck tomorrow! This boat looks really good in pictures, if it looks the same in real life it is probably a great find. Owners who take care of their boats cosmetically are usually meticulous about maintenance as well.

--

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
At that price I would get a 2019!

Ando

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have been reading and watching videos about cavitation and I still don't understand it fully. If the boat reaches 40+ mph then that means no cavitation?
I heard this boat can do 50mph?

Cavitation is air bubbles? Looking at videos with the problem and I still can't spot it.

BTW I am going next weekend for the boat.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have been reading and watching videos about cavitation and I still don't understand it fully. If the boat reaches 40+ mph then that means no cavitation?
I heard this boat can do 50mph?

Cavitation is air bubbles? Looking at videos with the problem and I still can't spot it.

BTW I am going next weekend for the boat.
It's basically similar to the loss of traction. The correct term really is "ventilation" - as it refers to air mixing with water inside the pump/intake tunnel - either due to to leaks in the intake/pump (allowing the air entry) or "boiling" of water and releasing gas - due to pressure and damage/imperfections in the surface of impeller spinning too fast.

You can have a ton of cavitation and still get to the top speed, it will just take longer. With no cavitation the "hook up" is immediate and the impeller(s) does not over rev and does not hit the rev limiter.

--

Ando

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you!

And if I see that issue is that a deal breaker or just need to reduce purchase price.
Expensive fix?

Dwrat

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If this boat only goes 40 then theres a problem.
Should run 50 or close to 50 anyways.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If this boat only goes 40 then theres a problem.
Should run 50 or close to 50 anyways.
2007 230 going 50? Not so sure about it. I would be very happy with 45mph at WOT, and super happy if it was reaching 10k RPM.
Of course - that is in cool weather and sea level. If hot/humid or at elevation - adjustments may be in order.

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you!

And if I see that issue is that a deal breaker or just need to reduce purchase price.
Expensive fix?
It depends how bad it would be. If the boat accelerates well with throttles just thrown forward and reaches top speed within a minute or two I wouldn't worry about it too much. But if you have to modulate the throttles to get up to speed - that could be an issue. If the engines reach 10k it would likely be just the pump, and that can be fixed relatively cheaply if you can hold a wrench (no special skills required, just very simple DIY mechanical tasks). May need new impellers if those are beat up. Sometimes those can be difficult to pull off.

--