• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Buying 2018 Yamaha SX190, need advice ( Now looking for AR/SX230)

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes, ideally. And there are some that would still run pretty close to that. But a 2007 boat will typically have some hull dulling, pumps may not be as tight and perfectly sealed etc. etc. 50mph is attainable, but I would personally not hesitate to buy a 2007 230/232 that would only go 45 if everything else looks good.

--

Ando

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is bilge plug the drain plug?
We are meeting up at Pyramid Lake which is 2500ft above sea level

Thanks guys. Im really nervious and this is my first boat.
I hope to get lucky and the boat doesnt have any issues. Guy swears it runs perfect.

Last edited:

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Is bilge plug the drain plug?
We are meeting up at Pyramid Lake which is 2500ft above sea level

Thanks guys. Im really nervious and this is my first boat.
I hope to get lucky and the boat doesnt have any issues. Guy swears it runs perfect.
Ando, don't be nervous. If it's a used boat, my best advice is to ALWAYS take it to a dealer and pay to have an inspection done. Have the current owner tow it there and you pay the fee. He'll see that it wont cost him a dime and he's not out anything. For you, it's peace of mind. I did that with my last (and first boat) boat I owned, a 9 year old 2006 Sea Ray 185. Found a couple small issues, nothing bad. So I knew what I was getting. They'll check everything including compression so you'll know if theres an issue with that part of the engine. If new, push for an early "boat show" deal.

Also, I was looking at the AR 195's then jumped to the AR210 but "settled" on a 2019 212x. Get what you feel comfortable in and can afford. My 18 ft was a great starter boat, but I realized after a year or so, that I wanted and needed a bigger boat.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
You won't get 50 mph at 2500'. But I would still encourage you to buy that boat if things look good.

Ando

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes I am super excited.
Before test drive I am going to take the boat to a shop to check the engine.

Only downside so far is just the cushions have wear and tear and I guess it's normal for a 11 year old boat.

Attachments

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
That is not too unusual for a boat that a family has enjoyed. I know it is expensive to replace and I would suggest you just go have fun with it for a season and then decide if you want to spend the money to repair the seats.

Ando

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Got inspection scheduled tomorrow morning.

Anything specific I should ask the shop to check ? Any questions to ask?

Dwrat

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Compression test for sure.

Ando

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is it possible to pass the compression test and everything look good, but still have cavitation when on water?

Is test drive on the water must even if shop says boat looks healthy?

Dwrat

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If a shop says everything looks good you really don't need a lake test.
If you don't have it checked by a shop then you really should do a lake test.

BTW, a compression test checks the health of the motor.
Cavitation is caused by a poor pump/prop area.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Is it possible to pass the compression test and everything look good, but still have cavitation when on water?

Is test drive on the water must even if shop says boat looks healthy?
Yes, it is still possible for the engines to check out perfect, and for the pumps to have problems. ALWAYS do a water test no matter what on a used boat! No Exceptions (unless you have a contract that allows you to get your money back out of a secure escrow account if you find something wrong).

At 2500 feet this boat should still hit 45 quickly. You should be able to floor it and have the boat momentarily hesitate, then take off! If when you floor it, there is a lot of loud noise and the boat slowly accelerates (like takes over 6 seconds to get over 40) then it is likely cavitating. This doesn't mean its not a boat you should buy, but just that the pump(s) probably has something that needs fixing (plugs might need a rebuild, the intake tunnel might be missing caulk, or the impellers might be damaged). If is takes off fast enough for you....(should be fast) and reaches 45, its probably a keeper.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Dealer fees are bs
Dealer fees are not total BS. If you think you didn't pay one, you are mistaken, as nothing in this world is free. The dealer, at the very minimum has to pay for the battery(s) to put into the boat. They also have to unload and assemble the boat off the trailer, put the wheels on the trailer etc (all time they are paying their people) and should water test the boat and all its functions. Some dealers do this well, some do not. If you hammer them down to no margin, they will spend less time on checking out your boat (my opinion). If you buy one of the more complex boats (like an "X" model), then you risk, for example, the ballast not working properly.....or something like that.

So are dealer fees BS...No. Are they high, yes. Does it cost the dealer to prep your boat Yes. My guess is somewhere between $200 for a simple boat to $500 for a complex one. If you didn't pay a dealer fee, you did, they just didn't list it.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree! A good dealer can be super helpful. They need to eat, too.

ACRDSPORT14

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
PWC
Most people on here say, don't pay dealer fees. I paid under msrp for my sx190 in 2013 then tax in my state.

Some people here pay msrp plus dealer fees plus tags and license.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Most people on here say, don't pay dealer fees. I paid under msrp for my sx190 in 2013 then tax in my state.

Some people here pay msrp plus dealer fees plus tags and license.
I'm not saying don't or do pay dealer fees. What I'm saying is negotiate with all the information. Tell them you know what they have to do and what you are willing to pay. Look up the dealer invoice and add a reasonable setup fee and reasonable profit, and befriend your dealer. Treat them with respect, and you'll get respect in return.

Ando

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So didn't go as planned.

Seller never transfered ownership to his name when he got the boat. It will take maybe 3 weeks to get his paperwork done.
He took the boat back before we could complete the inspection.

From what the shop saw he said offer him 18k the most. Not worth the 20k
There was a damage on the bottom of the boat. Seemed like they drove on a sand and parked it head on. Shop said fixing that is around $900. Idk if it's a big deal or not.
-The stereo control unit was gone. So canxt listen to music until new head unit is installed. Maybe $100?
-Trailor tires may need replacement soon.
-Oil change was needed as oil was dark.
-The back deck needs new flooring.

Plus that the seats are worn out pretty good.

Pretty sad to say the list. Had already planned the weekend.

Now my budget is 20k and i am still looking for 2007+ ar or sx 230.
I heard 2006 is different and with less power.

Ando

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So didn't go as planned.

Seller never transfered ownership to his name when he got the boat. It will take maybe 3 weeks to get his paperwork done.

There was a damage on the bottom of the boat. Seemed like they drove on a sand and parked it head on. Shop said fixing that is around $900. Idk if it's a big deal or not.
-The stereo control unit was gone. So canxt listen to music until new head unit is installed. Maybe $100?

Good call - I would back away, too. The lack of maintenance is worrisome.

EDIT: this could still be an good purchase but more in the realm of a project boat. If you have the time and resources.

--

Ando

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Also what worries me is he only bought it around 10 months ago. Why would he try to get rid of it so soon.

It's my first boat and I have limited knowledge so it should be ready to use until I slowly get more experience.

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
So didn't go as planned.

Sounds like an owner that doesn't take care of his shit. Which means, it would be your shit to take care of. Good move, I would back away and move on. There are plenty of good owners with good boats that might want to upgrade or change or whatever reason they are selling. There's always another boat around the corner, don't get discouraged. Who knows, you might just find a boat you never thought you could get for a price you cant beat. Stick to defending yourself in the deal, the seller (those who don't care) will say anything to unload their problem. Keep us updated, there are some great, knowledgeable people on this site that will help you however they can. You might not agree with some of the things they have to say, but chances are, they're being honest with you. Good luck buddy.