• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Buying 2018 Yamaha SX190, need advice ( Now looking for AR/SX230)

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think you defiantly made a good call to walk away from it.
My main advice is to be patient. Like super patient. I know you start feeling excited when you thing about and you one NOW but you have to cool down and wait.
I bought a used boat without even starting the engines and I did not take her to thelake until 5 months after I owned the boat. When a keeper shows up you will know it. I would say just keep scanning the forum here until the keeper shows up.

If you have a 20k budget you should stick to it, but $30k is not a stretch that AR240 in Dallas is worth a look.

Ando

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would take the AR240 for 30k over this one any day. This is one does not have seadeck or steering that is easily $1500 to $2,000.
If you can help it try to get a boat from a forum member. Because you can trace the boats history and the captains character

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yes I take all of your advise serious. I was clueless until I joined this forum.

I am negotiating with this owner now. This looks really clean, he is the only owner, did the sound system upgrade and boat has only 120hours.
I am trying to see if he will take 22k.
26k is overpriced for this no?
https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/boa/d/2008-yamaha-ar230-low-hours/6691331785.html
On an '08 you might want to see if it has lateral thrusters installed already and vector thrusters. Not that they're a necessity, but if you choose to put them on those are easily $500.00/piece. Boats pop up all the time. Especially when we get close to the boat show and just after.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes I take all of your advise serious. I was clueless until I joined this forum.

I am negotiating with this owner now. This looks really clean, he is the only owner, did the sound system upgrade and boat has only 120hours.
I am trying to see if he will take 22k.
26k is overpriced for this no?
https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/boa/d/2008-yamaha-ar230-low-hours/6691331785.html
Looks really good, if you can get it for 22k it's likely a great great deal. I do agree with what @Betik is saying, too, but there are plenty of good owners who are not on this board.
I would personally not worry about fins and steering enhancements up front, it would have zero impact on my decision to buy, decide later what you want and choose (or not) among the latest aftermarket upgrades.

--

Ando

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is there any difference as far as engine from 2006, 2007, 2008 AR/SX 230

2006 AR 230 is 18k, maybe even lower. Looks good.

I think i read somewhere about a change in the 2007 models?

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
2007+... the boat feels a little bigger (different Layout, check the pictures of the boat from above), and all the boats 07+ have the more powerful HO engines, which were an option for earlier boats (If it doesn't say High Output in caps on the Tachometer it's likely not High Output, the more powerful boat with 40 more HP) The Gunwale (Height of the side of the boat) is greater in the 07+ and the layout can be switched to J seating, which I personally like more. Some like Dual Captain chairs and the lower profile, and lower price of the 06- boats. Look at both in person and decide for yourself which one you like better. The increased weight means slightly better feel at choppy seas, by sheer physics. The 06 HO should also be slightly faster as it's a lighter boat with the same engines. The higher Gunwale and big storage room /"changing room"/"head" (If you are under 3 ft tall) and the fact I wanted more weight made me pick 07+...but I thought about it a lot. There were some great deals on the 06- non HO boats when I was looking a few years ago.

Best of Luck with your search!

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you have a 20k budget you should stick to it, but $30k is not a stretch that AR240 in Dallas is worth a look
+1 to that, @jawsf16 has a really nice AR240 in Dallas, if you have the budget then it is for sure worth a look as you would be getting way more for just less then what you were planning on paying for the SX190. @Betik could probably drag it to the river cheap.

https://jetboaters.net/threads/2010-yamaha-ar240-dallas-tx-31-000.19349/#post-343205

If you love boating and the boat, then this one will last you years and if you use it for a season and decide it's not your style, then you probably won't loose much as the resale of these boats is generally higher in the communist state then the rest of the country.

Also just a little .02 from one socal member to another, do not be afraid to expand your search to Arizona and Nevada (idk if anyone has mentioned this yet, if they have then sorry), as you will find a lot more boats for sale and better pricing.

Good luck, and hope to see you out on the water!

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'd agree with @JBehrens, that 240 is a clean, well taken care of boat. Might be worth the stretch.

Ando

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Since I am finacing the loan I don't think I can get 30k for a 2010 model.
My credit isn't great. Dealer was able to give me a loan on the brand new boat.
Since I declined that offer I applied for another loan at 20k. I guess I can try to see if I can get a 30k loan. I won't be able to go out there and see the AR240. It would all have to be based on trust I guess.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Ando I hate to sound like a parent or an ass*ole but would you consider waiting a couple of years before buying a boat ?

There are a lot of 1 year old boats that go on sale because the owners could service the loan after something minor changes in the life.

@JBehrens thanks for pimping out my truck. Lol
Looking forward to meeting you though

Ando

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Ando I hate to sound like a parent or an ass*ole but would you consider waiting a couple of years before buying a boat ?

There are a lot of 1 year old boats that go on sale because the owners could service the loan after something minor changes in the life.

@JBehrens thanks for pimping out my truck. Lol
Looking forward to meeting you though
I can't see myself wait couple of years. I may lose interest by then haha.
This my first boat and it doesn't have to be the best. AR230's seem like everything I want and need.
I can always upgrade if needed too.

I put an offer for 22k on that 2008 AR230, one owner and 120 hours. Looks super clean. Let's see if he accepts the offer.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's a nice boat. If compression checks out and you understand it's a 10 year old boat.... With a little luck it will be a blast.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Ando is you were my brother or a close friend, I will not want you on that boat or any boat for that matter. I am the advise will fall into deaf ears, but I feel morally obligated to mention it.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I humbly disagree... On a 5 year note that boat will be less than $400 per month if you put nothing down... If you are otherwise financially stable and have an emergency fund...I think this is exactly what credit is for...save you 5 years of your life being able to buy a boat before you saved it all up for a small fee. You can't ride your savings account into the water... But I understand the financial concern..specially if you are unsure if boating is for you. Boats are a time and cash commitment for a long time, and can be extremely enjoyable...just make sure for you the enjoyment surpasses the cost of the investment.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Ando is you were my brother or a close friend, I will not want you on that boat or any boat for that matter. I am the advise will fall into deaf ears, but I feel morally obligated to mention it.
Now, you sound like an older... sister.
:D

EDIT: I have always wanted an older sister.

--

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Ask about how much salt water it has seen. Look at steering nozzles and stainless steel hardware to verify the answer. Post pictures of engine bay and jets. Looks like a great find.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
older sister? you better get ready to be an uncle because I woke up this morning I looked like 8 month pregnant LOL

I understand that 99% of my posts will lead anyone to believe that I am a professional clown. And my kids do call me "Daddy Clown", and I frankly love being perceived as such. However, somewhere in that 1% you might draw the conclusion that i have formal education in understanding the human mind and mathematical sciences. It also just happened that in the last decade I have been very involved in helping loan sharks manage their credit risk ( remember I am Greek, so I have a moral vacuum). For example, client A says I have a 40% defaults on my portfolio. I looked at my crystal balls and I can tell him/her how to split the portfolio where 25% default less than 20%, 25% default at 80% and remaining are flat at 40%. And this predictions happen before the loan is even booked. The bottom line is that after imputing 79 posts on this thread, my crystal ball says, Ando should not buy a boat. I know I am not being pleasant and not the news that he or anyone wants to hears. Frankly I would love to add another boat on the Bimini fleet, but him pulling another loan with his current credit score will make it very difficult for him to get a "good" loan for something else down the line. It is all great for my client, not so great for Ando though.

I know you mind think that I am cranky because I look like I am 8 month pregnant, but if you take 20 or 30 minutes to read all the posts ( especially Ando's) you will see that this is not a systematic year long disciplined approach of finding a sailboat. This is a itch for a one season stand ;)