• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Buying advice - jet boat Yamaha/sea-doo/other help!!

RustyBucketBay

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Hi All,

First post, hopefully this is the right section. I’m based in Toronto Canada and looking for a fun family boat with some space when in-laws/friends visit too. I’ve decided jetboat for the young family no prop concern and spacious comfortable layouts for the size (oh and the speed, love to wakeboard but there are those times when the boat itself is the toy). I had thought I’d settled on finding a used Sea-Doo challenger but now my head is melted with the choices and do I want to be rebuilding SC’s every 2 years (I can but have other jobs on the cottage honey do list to keep me busy for years).
Original budget was 8-10k something fun for the next 3-5 years. now I’m considering 10-20k for something nicer and “one and done” kind of long term boat.

Re Sea-Doo
Think I’ve settled on the challenger 180. Right size and 2005+ looks a little more refined (than previous challengers) and 2007+ appears to build on that refinement. Obviously 2012 being the final iteration, however looking to keep costs down.

So what year is the sweet spot for creature comforts, maintenance issues (lack of). Prices vary but most hovering around CAD$20 +\- is that good/bad or just what the covid market is. Some seem priced high with tatty upholstery not sure if these owners is just fishing for fools and their $$.

A 2008 180 SE just came on the market. Apparently new engine put in 2 years ago now has 40hrs on it. Asking CAD$24k (usd$19) Upholstery in good shape no wake tower. I am looking to spend 20k max (usd$16). $24 seems high for 2008? I’ve seen 2012’s go for 24.
What would cause the need to get a new engine, ragging it around poor maintenance or just unlucky?
And 2008 180 SE good vintage in general?

Also saw a 2001 utopia up for sale looks nice, know it’s 2stroke not sure if I want to mess around with 2stokes but is it considered a good buy @ CAD$8k? (caveat one in my area owner says it was blowing fuel pump fuse before they took it out last summer and not fixing it prior to sale)

Re Yamaha

Now I’ve just found a 2013 Yamaha 242 limited S. it has 280hrs and asking CAD$21. This is more boat than I need for my small lake, if buying new I’d probably look at the 190, or 212x used. However in this price point that seems like a lot of boat. I have a large dock but 12 seater is overkill. Then again is it just as nimble and fun as a 212? I doubt I’d notice things like different gas mileage between the 2 on a day to day basis??

Other
Open to other options and recommendations Scarab etc.

All boats come with trailers. Some with wake towers and if not a wake tower will be an upgrade in the next year. Any advice appreciated.

Happy boating :D

Welcome to the forum. Lots of info here.

A few thoughts:

- don’t know much about the Challengers. I have a 2009 Sportster and it’s an ok boat. Nothing more.

- you can check on Nada Guides for used boat prices. Not sure if they reflect the Covid uptick or not but they can give you some guidance. Also look on Boat Trader, Craig’s List, Facebook, etc.

- regarding the 180SE, I’d definitely try and find out why the engine was changed. See if the seller has the bill.

- the Yamaha seems like a really good deal, and much better value than the 180SE. Hours seem pretty reasonable. Just make sure you get it inspected and water tested if you can.

- how big is your lake? Mine is quite small and I have a 212X. Probably wouldn’t want a 24 footer but from everything I’ve read on this forum, the interior space is not that much bigger.

- based on what you’re saying, I would think a tower is important and I’m not sure how easy they are to add after the fact. I’d search this forum to see what you can find. Most likely somebody has done it

- last thought is don’t buy something too small. One of the golden rules is to buy your second boat first. I think you’d find the 180SE pretty small after a while.

Good luck

I think an 18’ boat is going to be too small and you’ll outgrow it or wish you had something a little bigger within a few months or outings, especially if you’re taking out multiple friends and families.

I think an 18’ boat is going to be too small and you’ll outgrow it or wish you had something a little bigger within a few months or outings, especially if you’re taking out multiple friends and families.

Cheers, oddly size is (was) the one thing I thought I had sorted. The only reason I’m considering the 242 is because for the same money it seems like a lot more boat. We’re a family of 4 (eldest kid 4). Challenger seats 8. So with grandparents/ visiting in-laws all can be out for a cruise. With a couple in the water on tubes the seating would be a little more comfortable while under spirited driving. I grew up with a fletcher Bravo 16’ outboard with bench seating for 6. While there was no space for lounging around, bow or swim platform it gave us miles of smiles, so something like challenger 180 is very much an upgrade in space to me and likely majority of the time it will be just 4 of us in the boat. It’s a small lake too, long distance trips would happen if we choose to drop it somewhere else’s (say Trent Severn waterway) but again 99% time will be on our small lake.

I think if all things equal I’d have a hard time ignoring the yam 242, but if I could get my hands on a nice challenger 180 for 15k id jump at it. Though SC rebuild seems like a pain to deal with every 2 years. I’ve a sc on a Mini Cooper it’s now 15 years old and has never had a SC issue daily driver.

8 on a '18 foot boot is way too tight. 8 was pushing it for me on a 21'. 8 is comfortable on the 25' lol.

No question, unless there is a deal breaker for you on the 242, (like it doesn't fit where you plan to store it, not allowed where you want it to go, -or concerned about fuel cost, and if so you are looking at the wrong hobby...) That 242 is your very best deal and I would not pass on it given your options. My only uneasiness would be the timing chain issue affecting some 1.8 engines, but those have been few and far between. (I mention it because you will read about them eventually, better now than later :) )

I agree with the 8ppl on a 180 is one of those “it can” do it but not the enjoyable all day thing you want as an experience. As said it’s going to be the 4 of us 90% of the time. And the odd time 2 more adults and one other small child. For sunset cruise will be fine loaded. During the day the dock is on the lake and we can take turns if there is a group tubing etc. Hence the 18’ would work. But that is not to say the yam 242 would be a burden on my life :D. Yes fuel is more of a miles per smiles situation. It is what it is, the small lake will keep some control on the wallet but you have to pay to play.

Regarding storage. It’s on the honeydo list. The garage is non existent - I can always build it 4’ Deeper than whatever I was going to build which is a blank canvas right now.

So if I was going challenger 180. What years would you stay away from? And what price would you pay for decent condition?

If going Yamaha, is 2013 242 a good year and other than timing chain anything else to look for at 280hrs?

Any other boats/years you’d recommend I look at, in the 20’ range?

Back