• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Buying my first boat

John Y

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I've been visiting the boat shows and have fallen in love with Yamaha jet boats. 21 ft is the best size for me and is what I'll be purchasing within the next month or so. The question is... new or used. I've run across some beautiful 2012-2015 models and wonder if the year over year changes are worth it. Any help would be appreciated.

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
almost everyone will say used, you can customize the used boats if a feature is missing. where are you located?

latitudeadjuster

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I've been visiting the boat shows and have fallen in love with Yamaha jet boats. 21 ft is the best size for me and is what I'll be purchasing within the next month or so. The question is... new or used. I've run across some beautiful 2012-2015 models and wonder if the year over year changes are worth it. Any help would be appreciated.
used def saves you money. I would, if you don't know the owner or friends of owner, see if there is a YES extended warranty, hours matter....but def find a better deal used. My first 2006 SX230 I bought as a divorce special for $19900 in 2006, they, my neighbors, paid $34,000. We had boat 8 years and sold it for $19900.....lol. We bought a new boat, not used. I'm paying for it now....lol. Love my 212X tho!!!

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Especially if its your first boat, you don't know what you don't know, get used, figure things out, then make a more informed decision in the future.

John Y

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks, I'll look into the warrenty as well. There is a 2012 212ss that looks awefully nice... but I know Yamaha improves models with each year.

John Y

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Especially if its your first boat, you don't know what you don't know, get used, figure things out, then make a more informed decision in the future.
I think my real question is, how far back in years can I go before really losing out on features and engine reliability/ compared to value.

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
its sounds like the general consensus is if you have kids, get a wake tower

latitudeadjuster

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
D
I think my real question is, how far back in years can I go before really losing out on features and engine reliability/ compared to value.
Depends on you really, what you want, price you want to pay, condition of boat looking at. Like mentioned above, first boat, you would get sick over your first scratch. 2012 is a good midway year if you find a good price.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@John Y Check your Inbox located in the top right corner. The new 2017 21' boats will be quieter but I also generally steer people toward used until you know if you are a boating family.

John Y

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks for the comments and advice everyone! I've been around boats quite a bit through friends, but have never been in a position to own one myself.... that changed this week! I am now the proud owner of a 2017 212 Limited S. I hope to use the forum to connect with other jet boaters and continue to learn and have fun!
John

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Congratulations @John Y. Your family is going to have a fun summer.

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Make sure and put your location info in your profile so others near you can invite you to gatherings! I've met some really great people so far and look to meet more. There is also a member map so you can see who is near you.

Livewire

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Im not trying to hijack this thread, but im going to look at a 2010 sx210 today. I was wanting to know what a good price would be on it. the dealer pulled hours off both engines and they're both have 38 hours. Boat also has bow filler cushion and rear middle cushion. Boat has been in fresh water its whole life and looks brand new. This dealer also maintained this boat and kept it at their marina for winterizing. Dealer is asking 20,950. What do you guys think about this price? Im hoping to get it for 18.5, but 19 is probably best I'll do since the dealer got it two days ago. Also im from alabama and the boat is here as well. One more thing. Dealer said it has the factory cover and the table and both pedestals.

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Other can chime in, that is a VERY LOW amount of hours for a 2010. Sitting isn't the greatest with these boats from what I read.

NADA has boat prices, look it up online. Also, try to find similar boats and see what they are going for.

When/if you go look at a boat, take pics and post any questions.

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
that changed this week! I am now the proud owner of a 2017 212 Limited S. I hope to use the forum to connect with other jet boaters and continue to learn and have fun
New has its advantages, for one you get a warranty, for two you can finance for 15 years and pay it off and ALL of the upgrades Yamaha has made over the year.

Anyway you go, you'll have a blast with your family, and that's what is most important.

Livewire

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Other can chime in, that is a VERY LOW amount of hours for a 2010. Sitting isn't the greatest with these boats from what I read.

NADA has boat prices, look it up online. Also, try to find similar boats and see what they are going for.

When/if you go look at a boat, take pics and post any questions.
I had my wife look it up and low trade in is 16.4. Average retail is 21k and high retail is 24.6k. But now you have me thinking about it having too low of hours. Lol

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Im not trying to hijack this thread, but im going to look at a 2010 sx210 today. I was wanting to know what a good price would be on it. the dealer pulled hours off both engines and they're both have 38 hours. Boat also has bow filler cushion and rear middle cushion. Boat has been in fresh water its whole life and looks brand new. This dealer also maintained this boat and kept it at their marina for winterizing. Dealer is asking 20,950. What do you guys think about this price? Im hoping to get it for 18.5, but 19 is probably best I'll do since the dealer got it two days ago. Also im from alabama and the boat is here as well. One more thing. Dealer said it has the factory cover and the table and both pedestals.
@Speedling - was it the 2010's that had the bolts breaking off in the block? Or did that only apply to the 24'ers?

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
@Speedling - was it the 2010's that had the bolts breaking off in the block? Or did that only apply to the 24'ers?
Pretty sure the bolt shearing issue is only on the 1.8 motors which is the 24', the 212x/ss/limited and the 190 series.
Don't have one of them fancy new motors so don't quote me on it!

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Pretty sure the bolt shearing issue is only on the 1.8 motors which is the 24', the 212x/ss/limited and the 190 series.
Don't have one of them fancy new motors so don't quote me on it!
I believe you're correct now that I think about it. . . . . Just wanted to make sure he wasn't getting offered a Lemon. The hours are kinda low for 7yr old boat.