• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Buying new Garmin Maps

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Has anyone had any experience buying and installing new maps from Garmin they would like to share, or is pretty simple and straight forward? I am looking at the BlueChart g2 Vision HD VUS010R-Southeast Florida. I am thinking my system has not been updated from 2011 era, so a new set of maps and software update is needed, and with the likely hood of doing a Abaco/Exuma trip in the future. Thanks in advance.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have not done it to a gps that is permanent on the boat mine was removable so I plugged it up to the laptop and added the updated maps but I would assume the process is pretty straight forward just download them to a sd card or take the laptop to the boat once downloaded and should go through. My garmin did it pretty painless but hopefully someone else will chime in

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
What a price to pay lol 321 dollars ugh.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I installed the LakeVu HD maps last year on my GPSMAP 740S at the beginning of the year. The maps came on a SD card and I believe all I had to do was put in the new card and I was good to go. I don't remember having to do any tricks to get it to work, so it must be that easy. :winkingthumbsup"

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I did the same this as @Bill D did with my map upgrade for this past Exuma trip, just put the xD card in the slot and worked perfectly. I'm not sure if there is a way to permanently install the maps on the unit.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Cool thanks to guys I too have the 740s I will update software and buy maps and see what happens. Should be straight forward, just need to find a non Mac computer as I think Garmin and Mac don't like one another.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Have you considered buying a new plotter with current maps and selling the old? You might come in at a lower cost than $300 of maps if they really are that expensive.

Navioincs Updates allows you to download 2GB of maps in the areas you choose for $99 a year. That could be a less expensive option for you but you need an existing Navionics chip to activate it. Lots of new plotters that use Navionics come with a year of Updates.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
IMG_1203.JPG I have thought of that @Bruce but I am unsure if I will still be cheaper when I need a transducer, also finding one around same size as mine or slightly larger since it is flush mounted on dash. The 740s is discontinued so selling may be a hassle. The unit works flawlessly though, and maps seem okay. But if we make the longer trips to remote Bahamas a fresh set of maps would be needed.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have really wanted to upgrade the 740, but can't justify the cost. It works perfectly, and the HD maps have been good in all the lakes I've been to. But the newer units look really sharp and I like the functionality of the Navioics maps.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'll probably update software and map and keep unit a few more years if problem free and upgrade after. I need to an ACR and batteries on boat so that is priority first. Then it will be time for a full service on outboard and I'll update maps prior to an out of area trip. Even though I have two standalone back up units.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I need to an ACR
An EPIRB is the industry standard but I feel that inReach and other traceable devices are more useful.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm hoping to see some nice deals on updates on black friday/cyber monday @2nazt . Might be at least worth waiting to see.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
An EPIRB is the industry standard but I feel that inReach and other traceable devices are more useful.
I meant an ACR like automatic charging relay from Blue Seas. Since I do not have one it will be peace of mind with dual battery and the house set up. Without much use and larger charging system of an outboard. I probably won't do the LVD this time around. I only have plotter VHF etc so not much draw. Right now I have dual NAPA start batteries and corroded wires and breakers so I worry and will redo it correctly.

But I do have an 8' antenna with our VHF and DSC built in plus we have an InReach for our ventures off shore.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm hoping to see some nice deals on updates on black friday/cyber monday @2nazt . Might be at least worth waiting to see.
I will probably try to grab my chargers and everything from Amazon at that time or Overtons if they have a first time user code to save money or any other code

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Lol, I was also thinking you meant an ACR brand PLB.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I should have specified I guess, at least I knew what I meant! Haha. That a change for once.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Wow that is a nifty little thing huh? I wonder if it 10amps per bank or a max of 10amps total while on shore? 195 for the new switch on Amazon also cheaper the. Doing an add a battery kit plus charger. I'll call Blue Seas and see what the 10amp means.

Thanks @Bruce what would I do with you?! Haha