• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Calling all 2012 240 Owners!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Ok, I have the 2012 SX240. I don't know if the vinyl is the same in all 240 models. But the SX240 has the white vinyl with the tannish brown trim, and a beading that almost looks iridescent, like a lizard or something. I like it. But I am concerned about cleaning and preserving the trim as it appears more fabric than vinyl. Anybody have experience with it? And your recommendations? I have some black spots here and there, that is more than likely spider poop. It is common in boats to find spider poop/crap/shit, whatever you want to call it, on gelcoat and vinyl. Several products are excellent at removing it easily. LA's Totally Awesome will flat out melt it and you just wipe off. BUT...on that fabric??? I am almost fearful of it taking the color out of it. What say you?

Since you have something that works, anyway to try on an inconspicuous area?

I was just in West Marine 10 minutes ago....they actually sell spider poop remover! :p

They also have the 303 Fabric Cleaner:
Environmentally-friendly formula safely cleans marine canvass
The only cleaners recommended by and for Sunbrella®. Use this industrial strength concentrate to pre-clean marine canvas prior to re-treating. Dilute for spot cleaning. Dilute further for general cleaning. Safely removes even the most difficult stains and rinses residue free. Non-toxic, non-hazardous formula meets or exceeds EPA standards for biodegradability. Quart.
  • Non-toxic, non-hazardous formula meets or exceeds EPA standards for biodegradability
  • Use to pre-clean marine canvas prior to re-treating
  • The only cleaner recommended by and for Sunbrella
  • Safely removes even the most difficult stains and rinses residue free
  • Quart

• After you clean it, use 303 High Tech Fabric Guard:
Excellent protectant for Sunbrella upholstery and breathable foul weather gear
The only repellency product recommended by and for Sunbrella. Restores lasting water repellency to marine canvas. Stops leaks and protects against soiling and water and oil-based stains. Resists mildew formation and UV sun damage. Spray on, let dry. One pint treats 75-100 square feet of marine canvas. Also a great choice for fabric upholstery, carpeting and breathable foul-weather gear.

I picked up a bottle of that for my bimini among other things.

Is that fabric trim on the seats sunbrella? I need a shot of it close up, it looks like fabric, not vinyl. So do you use vinyl protectant on it? Vinyl Cleaners? What say you?IMG_3617.JPG

Personally, I have been cleaning with a glass cleaner for all of the fabric and vinyl. Then I have been using the 303 protectant on both the fabric and vinyl. No ill effects to report...

Glass cleaner??? With amonnia?

Use spray 9 to clean and 3m vinyl to protect it. It's the perfect combo. The 3m will actually make the vinyl softer to the touch.

image.jpg
Use spray 9 to clean and 3m vinyl to protect it. It's the perfect combo. The 3m will actually make the vinyl softer to the touch.

I tossed some of this 3m stuff on prior to the first outing. It came recommended from the other world.

I may have missed a posting but Mel, you have a new boat?

And by the way, I use Woolite to clean my cushions. A soft brush, full strength and rinse well. Seems to do a good job.

I think it is textured vinyl. I have a hell of a time cleaning it with just a microfiber cloth, I ended up using a soft bristle brush and vinyl sauce. It got 90% of the dirt and stuff, then I used Clorox cleanup for the rest. I'm still not sure if I like that upholstery or hate it! :-) sure is different though.

Glass cleaner??? With amonnia?

Don't think it has much if any in it. Doesn't smell like that. But one of those Glass Plus type cleaners. So what am I missing on the ammonia?

Don't know, I don't know if ammonia is good or bad on vinyl. Just hadn't ever heard of anyone using it on vinyl. So you guys think that brown/tan trim is textured vinyl? If it is, I'm going to use a vinyl cleaner and either 303 or vinyl sauce. Both are good.

Yep that's what I've been doing. 303 and vinyl sauce as a cleaner.
Don't know, I don't know if ammonia is good or bad on vinyl. Just hadn't ever heard of anyone using it on vinyl. So you guys think that brown/tan trim is textured vinyl? If it is, I'm going to use a vinyl cleaner and either 303 or vinyl sauce. Both are good.

Yes Mel, it's vinyl. Yamaha started using fine textured vinyls in various places more and more frequently.

So due to the texture, maybe a little soft bristle brush isn't a bad idea to remove any dirt in the pores, like @steined used. Glad to know its vinyl, thanks @trace ! That will make conditioning easy at least. Since it is vinyl, LA's totally awesome will remove the little black spider crap spots easily and safely! I am liking this boat more and more!

Mel ,
Had some black spots on the textured seats from the kids feet last year. vinyl sauce cleaned it right off where thought I have to scrub it off or not come clean at all. It kinda looked like tar or oil from the pavement at the landing.

Hey Mel,
I've been a bit out of touch, but congrats on the new boat!

@jetlagged Thanks Joe! Glad to see you around the forum. I like the new boat but kind of crazy to go through all of this again...just should have kept the one I had! But I am glad to have a boat again, regardless! BTW...love the new avatar! With the new "fit for duty" and "FAR 117", it's a wonder we don't end up forgetting our pants! LOL

Back