• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Calling all TV Geeks

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am in the market to replace our family TV in the main room. I know now is the time to strike with Black Friday deals and Cyber Monday upon us. My problem is I get serious "tired head" when reading all the reviews and looking at all the specs. My main concern is I want sports shows to be clear. I watch a lot of football. I currently have an 11 year old LG plasma that has served me well. The refresh rate is 600 HZ on that puppy, so I am terrified of buying a new TV that will blur when watching football.

We have a fairly large room that is not very bright. I am looking for a 70" or greater. Based on what I have seen so far it looks like the Samsung MU9000 model would be best???

Please chime in, this forum has never steered me wrong in the past!

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have both a 50" Panasonic G20 1080p plasma and a newer 55" LG LED 4K 120hz. I still prefer my plasma for sports viewing. You just can't beat the blacks and buttery smooth 600hz. My LED may be brighter and a little sharper but it's not an overall better or smoother picture then the plasma IMO. Plus you get a free heat source in the winter with plasma :D

Best place IMO to get reviews and learn about issues is www.avsforum.com

Last edited:

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Funny you should ask this.. as soon as i can get my wofe in the car we are heading to buy one.. i am aSamsung guy.. the 9 series tvs are nice.. we will prob ha e a 55 inch in the next few hours.

spatty99

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Check out rtings.com, they have very extensive reviews and seem to be unbiased. I bought a one of their higher rated Samsung 8000 models last year and the picture is excellent. They do rate the Samsung 9000 very highly for this year, probably a great bet unless you spend a lot more for OLED.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Check out rtings.com, they have very extensive reviews and seem to be unbiased. I bought a one of their higher rated Samsung 8000 models last year and the picture is excellent. They do rate the Samsung 9000 very highly for this year, probably a great bet unless you spend a lot more for OLED.
Pffftt.. that would be nice but i dont think they make them in 55 inch... my living room is long but narrow so a 55 will look giant.. ( we have had a 42 for approximately 12 years now)..

Last edited:

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I bought a 42" Samsung about 2 years ago ago and the HDMI ports started to die just outside of one year (of course just past the warranty period). After doing research trying to fix it I found out this is a known issue with several Samsung models. So yea that was my first and last Samsung. The TV itself works it's just there's no way to give it a signal. I remember when TV's weren't considered disposable devices and you would keep them for many, many years, sometimes a decade. yea the TVs back then weighed like 800 lbs lol but they lasted too. Miss those days of quality except when it was time to move the TV :D

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The tv in the picture above has a one connect courd that runs from the back of the tv to a small box on the floor that has all the usb connections in it. So only yhe power cord and the one connect cord run down from the tv.

viggen

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
For a while I think Samsung was leading the pack however there are better units out there now...

It really boils down to your pricepoint. Depending on budget I would go with a smaller high end TV then a more entry level 70+ TV. But if you have the funds for a high end 70+ then they are all pretty close, almost a coin toss or what’s on sale. My brother did this just a few weeks ago, went with a 70+ in I think LG that was a low end unit, looked like crap. Returned it and went with a 60-something Visio which looks 1000 x’s better.

Never been a Sony guy but if I had the funds that’s where I would go, but last time I looked it’s $10k for the TV. My Samsung unit is still working and since I don’t want to upgrade my pre/pro to a 4K unit, I will stick with my TV for a while longer.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
They had an lg on display that was absolutely amazing... the 55 inch was 2600 bucks.. sooo i left it at the store!

viggen

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
Yea that’s why to me it’s more about pricepoint then brand

A $995 75in from any company will look like crap

And a $2,600 55in from just about any will look great

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I remember when TV's weren't considered disposable devices and you would keep them for many, many years, sometimes a decade. yea the TVs back then weighed like 800 lbs lol but they lasted too. Miss those days of quality except when it was time to move the TV :D
all this ^^^ we had a 31" wooden console that was a 3 man job all day long. I have photos of my Dad and Uncle(both ET's in the Navy) building their tv's from parts in a box that they ordered while overseas.

Was a long time holdout from the tube tv... finally spent some cash, and bought a 42" pioneer plasma, didn't live 2 years. and It was an emergency when it died... LOL had people coming over to watch World Cup 2014 and Got a cheap deal through Target(wifeys an exec) on an LED... Vizio 55" ive been quite pleased. WOuldnt say its theatre quality, but its 120hz. Ive found that with LED's especially, this is the most important stat to me, really. We mostly play Xbox on it.. Lots of streaming. cheap, but flawless.

Our 3 other rooms all have the same Samsung 23" led's. probably the best value ive found. The picture is outstanding.

Yea that’s why to me it’s more about pricepoint then brand

A $995 75in from any company will look like crap

And a $2,600 55in from just about any will look great
yep this too mostly. but you have to look at them physically. you can tell. Price point can be misleading sometimes, because they know some folks think that way. Brand doesn't mean too much. the place you get it from does though.... I wouldnt order them online.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Depends on your budget... honestly I buy the best at the time and keep it until it dies. My Samsung Plasma was the last one they made and still blows most of these 4k HDRs out of the water. If I had to buy another TV right now - hands down no questions asked - it would be an LG OLED. Sure you are paying a premium - but you can EASILY see where your money is going compared to anything else on the market.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Oh that lg is bad ass! My wife and i walked past it and both just stopped and stared.... until i saw the price... i could buy 2.5 of the 4 k 8 series samsungs for that one! Its nice but dang!

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I can't buy into the new Samsung stuff... all of their TVs are glaring bright and overly saturated. At night time they are like a 60" flashlight lol. Even the QLED stuff disappointed me. I picked up my parents a 50" Sony 4k HDR (I think 850 model) that seemed pretty good for the price/picture.

I am still upset that they stopped making plasmas. Consumer misconception really ruined the best TVs.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I used Consumer Reports ratings of 60" and larger TV's and ended up going with a Samsung 75" from Costco. If you purchased the Square Trade Extended warranty for $90 they discounted the TV $90. It didn't make much sense but hey, what the heck. So I got a 5 year warranty on the TV plus free delivery. I went with the UN75MU800DFXZA which is the Ultra HD LED LCD. Waiting on delivery.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My samsung will auto adjust the picture at night... it doesnt seem overly bright to me.. but i am a samsung brand guy!

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I used Consumer Reports ratings of 60" and larger TV's and ended up going with a Samsung 75" from Costco. If you purchased the Square Trade Extended warranty for $90 they discounted the TV $90. It didn't make much sense but hey, what the heck. So I got a 5 year warranty on the TV plus free delivery. I went with the UN75MU800DFXZA which is the Ultra HD LED LCD. Waiting on delivery.
Looking forward to your review of it once you have it. Was it not available for take home from the store? We we walk in our Costco the electronics and tvs are right at the door and there are bunches. I always have to stop and linger and drool a little. o_O

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looking forward to your review of it once you have it. Was it not available for take home from the store? We we walk in our Costco the electronics and tvs are right at the door and there are bunches. I always have to stop and linger and drool a little. o_O
Don't own a truck anymore and that box is freakin Gigantic!! I figured I would just have them deliver it and carry it in the house for me. Why not it's free.....