• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Can anyone explain DRIVE? Is it just using paddles instead of the Throttles and how is it $4K???

Enduro900

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Anyone have experience with DRIVE from the 275 and could it be worth $4k or is adding the aftermarket fins as good or better for low speed maneuverability ????

I’m really having a hard time with the pricing and HUGE jumps from model to model.......very surprised no real in-depth discussion of DRIVE on any of the so far released videos.....

Hard to believe Yamaha couldn’t find a way to come out with a true thrust bucket like BRP....patents are worked around all the time (all you really typically need is a 10%+ change in desig. DRIVE so far seems more like a gimmick but I’ll wait to (hopefully) get a chance to drive one with and one without to make a true determination.....

The spread from 240sx -242x Was $25k......now its $37K????

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
My assumption is that bumping the paddles leads in very small incremental bucket changes... which, like you, I'm unsure why that's any more useful than using the shift levers? Not only that, but that means you have to have both hands on the wheel, which is hardly the case - hell, usually I'm standing, one hand on the wheel, one hand on the throttles, ready to put a hand out to catch a railing or might even be tying on a bumper at the same time. In my mind, it's easier to find the N with the throttles than to have to find it with paddles or on the screen. I can already hear my brain... "did i go four or five forward paddles up - now what, that's three back to neutral, then another two for more reverse.. CRASH"

I mean, 4k extra, the damn boat should park itself.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I think they also control some throttle along with the buckets. Yeah I agree, I know I've never used it, but I can't see how its more than a gimmick- is anyone really having trouble steering with one hand and doing bucket/throttle control with the other???

Mhamann75

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My 2019 VX cruiser HO’s have the drive system. While I realize these are wave runners, they are so easy to maneuver around docks etc.... can go from foreword to neutral to revere instantly.

Timmy1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
I have owned a 275D for a couple months now. The drive system works exactly like the twin throttles on a waverunner. Its definitely easier than using the throttle to dock. Hard to say if its worth 4k though.

Enduro900

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
My 2019 VX cruiser HO’s have the drive system. While I realize these are wave runners, they are so easy to maneuver around docks etc.... can go from foreword to neutral to revere instantly.
On a
I have owned a 275D for a couple months now. The drive system works exactly like the twin throttles on a waverunner. Its definitely easier than using the throttle to dock. Hard to say if its worth 4k though.
Can you back into a slip with it like they show?

Have you ever driven a Yamaha jet boat without it?

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The concept of the “drive“ system is the same as the “ride“ system which has existed on Yamaha’s waverunners for sometime now. I have it on my 2018 GP1800 and it makes riding the waverunner so much easier. Unlike a boat, you need both hands on the handlebar of a waverunner to operate effectively and safely. To that extent, when maneuvering around the dock at low speeds, the left side lever gives you instant reverse burst while you can do the same but in the fwd direction with the right lever. Doing this alternately gives you great maneuverability. Now, pressing the left lever when you are moving at great speeds gives you the effect of braking. This significantly slows the waverunner to almost a stop. As you know, there no brakes on skis or waverunners.
I am assuming the drive system works the same way around low speeds but don’t know if it also works the same to slow down the boat from a high speed run.
I don’t think it’s worth $4k in my opinion unless the $4k adds other stuff.

Timmy1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Yes you can back in like they show. I used to have a sx210, the drive system really just makes docking easier but doesn't really add any manuverability

Epsmith19

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Other
This is a pretty good breakdown

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
The cost is that the buckets are now actuated by an electronically controlled hydraulic system. The paddles dont control how much the bucket mives ip or down. Its either in full fwd or rev. The more you squeeze the paddle the higher then eng rpms. Limited to 3500

fabian

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The cost is that the buckets are now actuated by an electronically controlled hydraulic system. The paddles dont control how much the bucket mives ip or down. Its either in full fwd or rev. The more you squeeze the paddle the higher then eng rpms. Limited to 3500
Aren’t the buckets also electronically controlled on the e-series?

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Not sure. I dont know anything about the e. Somewhere i saw a video explaining the mechanics of the drive system on the 275sd. the steering and buckets on that boat has an electro hydraulic system to control them. Im not sure if that would be needed on the e series or not. Just saying that would explain the extra cost on a drive equipped model rather than just 4 grand for some paddles on a steering wheel.

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Just adding more unnecessary elecronics and hydraulics to the boat that will breakdown and cost more money to fix

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Yep that goes for anything these days though. Not just boats. We all like out techy things. It all comes with a price. Both to buy and fix unfortunately.

Enduro900

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
So it sounds like it is also steer-by-wire.....when you engage the paddles the lock-lock turning ratio changes too (you turn less to get lock-to-lock).

Enduro900

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I think ole Capt Steve needs a 15 mph cross wind, a few kayaks, and ten boats floating around waiting to be retrieved, then I will be impressed.
Haha i said the same thing......and add a couple people yelling at him too :)

elcue

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Your waverunner has ride system

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'm not aware of any hydrolics unless the power steering is hyrolic. The gate controls are servo driven and the same as the E Series servo controlled gates (to my knowledge)

DRiVE gives you power steering and paddle controls.

KCAR250

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I like using both power levers individually when docking to get a little extra maneuverability (differential thrust) if I use drive I don’t have that. I’ve never used drive but I have a feeling if I spent the extra money on it I would never use it. I think it’s way overpriced anyway.