• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Can I tow??

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There seems to be 1,000,000 opinions on what you can tow, what to calculate to determine if you can tow, what day of the week it is, etc. Wanted to reach out on here and get a consensus (if possible).

I have a 2015 Grand Cherokee Altitude 4x4 with the 3.6L V6 8 speed transmission with the factory tow package (Class IV). I’ve added rear airbags in the coils to level while towing. I’ve also purchased a transmission cooler but haven’t installed yet. Per the owners manual it has a 6,200 GTW and 620 max tongue weight.

I tow my 2006 AR210 and it pulls great! No exceeding temps (engine/transmission).

I’m looking to purchase a camper with the following stats:

Unloaded Vehicle Weight: 5625
Dry Hitch Weight: 565
GVWR: 7350
Length: 29’2”
Wheel base: 229”

Obviously I would get/need a high end weight distribution hitch and I would have to be conscious of how much added weight I put in the camper while traveling.

My question is, am I ok? I know I’m def on the high end of what I can tow, but my question is am I exceeding what I can tow?

Troch1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Ok is a relative term. Will you die or kill someone? Probably not. Are you maxing out or exceeding the capacity of your vehicle? Absolutely. And with that you’ll have less or zero headroom for emergency situations, and increased wear on both your nerves and your vehicle. You make the call, this is ‘Merica after all 🙄

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The Grand Cherokee has a relatively short wheelbase. Campers are susceptible to sway induced by high winds which require a vehicle with a long wheelbase. Anti sway hitches can help some, but crossing a bridge in high winds might be more fun than you want. Additionally, you are going to want to load up that trailer for vacation. Potable water, groceries, propane, bikes.... You don't want to be worried and not bring something. Having towed boats and campers, pound for pound, campers are much harder.

Stevenpigsooie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Better question is “can I stop?”
I agree completely. Most towing capacities are low for what the vehicle can actually pull. The scary part is having control and ability to stop. Otherwise, it’s the tail wagging the dog situation.

Stevenpigsooie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For a real world example. We towed our 28 ft camper with my wife’s Sequoia for 2 years before I bought my Silverado. It pulled no problem with that strong 5.7L V8. But there was a lot of sway at times much more than my truck because of the wheelbase being shorter.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You'll be right at the limit if not over it. You're looking at only about 575lbs of "stuff" between the camper and the Jeep that you can add before you're over the limits. Wife and 2 kids are an easy 200lbs of that (depends on stature of course). Leaving you at 375lbs of "stuff" to take with you. 100lbs of Weight Distributing Hitch puts you down to 275lbs of stuff. Another 150lbs in luggage for the people drops you to 175lbs. I mean this one is damn close to the limit "by the books"

@Trevor Shipman How long/what model is the camper you have in mind? A relatively shorter camper with higher weight might be preferable with your shorter tow vehicle. A long wheelbase helps get closer to the limit without sway becoming a large player.

I've been thinking about developing a google spreadsheet to share as a "Can I tow xxxx with my yyyy" standard answer. I might do that tonight. The math is pretty simple, the hard part is making the estimates on weight and finding GOOD information on gross weight ratings.

Last edited:

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Like everyone has said towing is one thing. having control is another and stopping is another. When we purchased our first Travel trailer I thought my F-150 would be fine towing it. I was VERY wrong. In a little bit of wind it would sway, the brakes were hardly adequate. Passing a semi, rather a semi passing me would suck me in when one got to the trailer and then push me away when it got to the front end.

The F-150 does fine pulling 242X.

Our Current 5th wheel weighs almost 2 1/2" times what our pulling truck does BUT the truck is built to allow for pulling. Oversized brakes, engine brake, dually....etc.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Even if you load carefully to be under total wet weight it will most certainly be a tail wagging the dog situation. As already mentioned crosswinds and passing tractor trailers will not be fun or safe. Reality is campers need batteries, propane, wd hitches, fresh water tank full if off grid, and you will want to load up stuff for camping and none of that is included in the dry weight. Once all of that stuff along with people is loaded in the camper and jeep you will be over weight.

Beyond the side load porpoising is another consideration. Short wheel bases especially near max capacity will not handle that well. Now if on a big upswing you get a heavy side wind load at the same time it is possible to change lanes, sides of the road, or jack knife without wanting to if the tow vehicle is not up to the task. When I had a TT I would fill the fresh water tank (it was in front of the axles) to reduce porpoising.

As everyone else has said it will pull it. Travel Trailers are a whole different ball game than boats when it comes to the forces and leverage involved and a 29 ft TT would put the jeep on the raged edge making your butt pucker under normal conditions. Add any number of factors and your shorts may not be clean.

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So you guys aren’t giving me the answer I want to hear! Lol

Here’s the trailer I have my heart set on (scroll down a tad to see specs): White Hawk 24MBH | Jayco, Inc.

It’s actually a 24’ camper but hitch to back it’s 29’.

I’ve been doing a bit of reading and sounds like the wheelbase really makes a big difference (which makes sense to me).

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I like the layout. Those Murphy beds give nice usable room until you need to use it at night. Good call. Word to the wise, if they have a 50 amp version do it or make sure you have a 15,000 but ac unit. You will thank me later.

Recoveringfiberglassaddic

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
One other thing to consider, most advertised "dry hitch weight" in my experience is before batteries and propane are added. Those are almost always at the wishbone of trailer frame so count on that number going up instantly BEFORE you even put any gear in front of the axles in the trailer. Will the jeep do it, most likely. Is it "safe", probably not from a legal standpoint. I have towed overweight before when I had my F150 and it generally sucked. I have zero regrets going to a 3/4ton with an 8ft bed. My campers 30' and you couldnt pay me to tow it with a Jeep.

One other thing to think about, are you ever going to upgrade to a bigger camper down the road?? If the answer is yes then you should probably just get the tow vehicle situation handled now. Just my opinion tho.

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So you guys aren’t giving me the answer I want to hear! Lol

Here’s the trailer I have my heart set on (scroll down a tad to see specs): White Hawk 24MBH | Jayco, Inc.

It’s actually a 24’ camper but hitch to back it’s 29’.

I’ve been doing a bit of reading and sounds like the wheelbase really makes a big difference (which makes sense to me).
That's a nice one. Looks like a new Jeep Gladiator is on the way :)

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah all good thoughts and the answer is I don’t think I’ll end up getting a larger camper but I’ve also said I’ll never buy another boat too.

In all honesty, you may laugh, I waiting to see what this Tesla truck is/what it can do. I normally don’t tow that far so not too worried about range (whatever that may be) but yes at some point I’ll be upgrading and if I do it will be either the Tesla truck (if it fits my needs) if not 3/4 truck, not going to mess with a 1/2 ton and be stuck in this situation again.

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I like the layout. Those Murphy beds give nice usable room until you need to use it at night. Good call. Word to the wise, if they have a 50 amp version do it or make sure you have a 15,000 but ac unit. You will thank me later.
Couldn’t agree more!! I think they only do 30amp on that one but def will do the 15,000 btu AC (if I can tow it, ha!)

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah all good thoughts and the answer is I don’t think I’ll end up getting a larger camper but I’ve also said I’ll never buy another boat too.

In all honesty, you may laugh, I waiting to see what this Tesla truck is/what it can do. I normally don’t tow that far so not too worried about range (whatever that may be) but yes at some point I’ll be upgrading and if I do it will be either the Tesla truck (if it fits my needs) if not 3/4 truck, not going to mess with a 1/2 ton and be stuck in this situation again.
We're in opposite and same boats at the same time.

I bought this truck thinking "I want a bigger boat soon", but not thinking "I might want a slide in camper"......So I bought bigger than I needed thinking I would be covered, only to figure out later that I'm still not covered. next truck might be a 3500 SRW in a "throw the kitchen sink at" approach :D :D

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We're in opposite and same boats at the same time.

I bought this truck thinking "I want a bigger boat soon", but not thinking "I might want a slide in camper"......So I bought bigger than I needed thinking I would be covered, only to figure out later that I'm still not covered. next truck might be a 3500 SRW in a "throw the kitchen sink at" approach :D :D
Ugh! We need cheaper hobbies!!!!

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The big three American truck brands have all said they are working on gas electric hybrids. 95 percent of the time my truck is a short distance errand runner. The other 5 percent I require lots of range or hauling power. I could certainly see myself in a hybrid down the road. I am holding off on a new truck until I see what comes out in the next few years.

All TT and long enclosed bumper pull trailers tow like crap. If I were to get into a camper again I would go giant 5th wheel behind a one ton truck.

FWIW I towed this with a half ton within the ratings when wet loaded and still never really felt comfortable while towing it. Wife hated it because it shook when walking around in it and exterior walls were thin. She had to have the biggest thing our truck could tow with an island kitchen, big bunk room, and couch. Being an ultralite everything just felt a bit cheap about it over the time we had it. No comparison to a heavy 4 season fifth wheel.

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah a 5th wheel is the ultimate. Like you said @Mainah I’m really trying to hold off on my next vehicle till I see the next generation of hybrids/or all electric... I fear though I might be waiting a bit longer than I want to.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Switching from a TT to a fifth wheel was night and day different. When we first purchase the 5er we still had the 3/4 Ton Ford short bed SRW. Towed the TT up, dealer installed the slider hitch and we hooked back up 9 hours later ( different story ) and I was a little cautious at first. Got out on the highway and was amazed by the stability and ease of driving. We haven't looked back since. If we decide to get smaller camper we will defiantly stay in the fifth wheel category.

This past 4th of July we put over 1200 miles towing the camper from Table Rock lake and then to Indiana to visit my parents.