• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Can (should) I place a speaker parallel to a high level (speaker output) to line level converter?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am considering amplifying VHF radio output some of the time. The VHF radio has a mono 4.5 watt @ 4 ohm output that is currently powering a Poly-Planar MB21 speaker.

What would happen if I installed a PAC SNI-35 Variable LOC Line Out Converter in parallel to the existing speaker? I am uncertain how having a converter (transformer) in parallel to the speaker would change the resistance of the load.

@David Analog, @Mainah can you guys help?

Thanks

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am considering amplifying VHF radio output some of the time. The VHF radio has a mono 4.5 watt @ 4 ohm output that is currently powering a Poly-Planar MB21 speaker.

What would happen if I installed a PAC SNI-35 Variable LOC Line Out Converter in parallel to the existing speaker? I am uncertain how having a converter (transformer) in parallel to the speaker would change the resistance of the load.

@David Analog, @Mainah can you guys help?

Thanks
I am not familiar with line out converters or using amps with line level ins. My guess is that the converter will place a load and will affect resistance to some degree.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm not understanding what you are trying to do? That PAC is for Headunits that no not have any RCA cable out puts. So to use the HU with the amp, must covert speaker level outputs to rca outputs. So I am little confused by what you mean by paralleling the existing speaker?

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think he's trying to get from speaker line level back to rca format so he can run into his existing audio setup. Could you put some kind of switch in the mix to toggle small speaker vs thru amp?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@FloJet, I am piping speaker level VHF output to one channel of an amplifier. I have an existing external speaker and a single output from the VHF radio. My intention is to wire a speaker level to low level converter in parallel to the external speaker. I can not find any resistance ratings for speaker level to RCA converters so I am unsure what that will do to the resistance of the circuit.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think he's trying to get from speaker line level back to rca format so he can run into his existing audio setup. Could you put some kind of switch in the mix to toggle small speaker vs thru amp?
If thats the case, than what he is doing right now is probably his best option unless he wants to replace the unit to something with RCA outputs. You can line drive each individual speakers but I don't think that's what he is looking for here.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Gotcha. If there is any resistance, it should be at minimal if even that.

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
A little (or a lot of) speculation here on my part. The SNI internal coupling transformers would apply to the output side. To satisfy the source unit output circuit there might first be a lower input resistance. Check with PAC to get this number or measure the input resistance across the PAC SNI input + & -., assuming there is no capacitor coupling across the input, and I doubt there is.
So let's estimate the PAC SNI-35 to have a 20-ohm input resistance. Tied in parallel with an 8-ohm speaker gives you a 5.71-ohm load. Okay if the VHF radio output is rated @ 4-ohms (unlikely), and NOT okay if rated @ 8-ohms.
If the SNI input was 100-ohms then tied in parallel with 8-ohms would be a 7.41-ohm load, which wouldn't be an issue.
Probably best to switch between the speaker input positive and the SNI-35 input positive.
I'm guessing that the VHF speaker output ground is common to its chassis, thus will not require switching along with the positive.