• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Can you Clay Bar Gelcoat?!?!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I got the boat out of the garage last night to get it cleaned up for the weekend fun. We haven't been out this year due to a whole slew of issues, most notably an unusually cool spring.

While washing and wiping down the exterior, I noticed that I had some pretty significant water spotting from last season. This is only on the black trim section (might be on the white areas, as well but I can't see or feel it) that it's noticeable. I scrubbed pretty hard and they won't come off. Tried a Mr Clean Magic Eraser and that didn't get them off either.

Had a black Ford Ranger in High School that would water spot if it sprinkled 4 counties over. I got pretty decent at getting those water spots out by using a clay bar. Would usually attack that one twice a year in the spring and fall and it worked well. Really made the paint shine, and got rid of all kinds of water spots and other crud on the paint. Felt and looked like glass afterwards.

Can I use a Clay bar on the GelCoat for the same purpose? If not, what can I use to get these water spots off and get back to the nice glossy deep black I had before?

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Gel coats are much harder and tougher than paint on a car. It can take a lot more abuse than car paint/finish. So yes, clay bars won't be a problem at all. But that could be pretty tedious.

Personally I much prefer using a rotary buffer (you have to be careful on cars because you can burn through with the friction pretty quickly but luckily since the gel coat is much thicker and tougher, it's not really a concern unless you stay in the same spot for a long time). Combine the buffer with a cleaner wax like M-5032 or M-5016 (I like those, Meguire brand) and it can clean/wax simultaneously.

There are lots of techniques to maintain your gel coat. Lookup youtube for details. But yes, if you think a clay bar will work to clean, by all means.

Redneck_4Play

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I clayed mine a few weeks ago before I polished and applied Rejex. Smooth as a baby's azz and mirror shine. Look at the reflection of the gravel driveway on the gelcoat. Go for it!
20190511_162919.jpg

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Use a vinegar and water mix in a spray bottle, the spots will disappear with no scrubbing, it's amazing. (learned it from a post here several years ago.
I second this - always worked for me with stubborn water spots or oxidation.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Try BarKeepers Friend... available at Lowes.... follow the directions.....best I have found!

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Clay bar will only completely remove superficial water spots, if they are bonded to the actual surface (not the wax) they have etched into the surface. They will then need to be polished away. The same is true for vinegar. If your water spots have etched (chemically reacted with) your surface, you will need to polish the surface. The best choice for polishing a surface is an automotive or marine polish designed to polish paint/gel coat surfaces. The abrasives in these polishes are much finer than normal cleaning products, and they are designed to break down into even finer particles as you polish to produce a superior finish (possibly avoiding the need to polish multiple times with finer and finer products).

This is one of my prior posts, it took me 2.5 hours to polish and wax (synthetic) my boat with a Random Orbital buffer (no danger of burning the surface) which cost ~$150.

It has been over year with no problems/issues with the FSH 190 Sport in salt water. Water was still beading well on the hull, but there was a build up of water spots and a general dullness. To most people it still looked very good, but it was time to polish and wax the hull. I chose to use Griot's Garage One-Step Sealant; it is a fine polish and synthetic wax. I have used on autos to remove etched water spots and other minor paint blemishes with impressive results. I applied it to the boat with a Griot's 6 inch Random Orbital buffer (8 mm throw) using an orange correcting pad. You spread the product on speed 2, and then you buff it on speed 5. After two quick passes, I moved to the next area. The product hazes in 15-30 minutes, and it wipes off with almost no residue or dust. I wiped off the boat with three Griot's PFM microfiber wax removal cloths - each about the size of a pot holder. The cloths were relatively clean after the removing the One-Step. The entire process took less than 2.5 hours, including set-up and tear-down.

The results are in the photo; you can see the horizon in the blue stripe. It is the brightest boat at the marina. The One-step should last about a year; it has done that for me on daily driven cars.

** One-Step would not be appropriate for oxidized gel coat. You would need a more aggressive compound/possibly wet sand paper/more aggressive pad

Reflection in Yamaha FSH 190 boat Gelcoat.jpg

and a longer throw buffer (15-21 mm).

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
WOW......Awesome responses. Thanks to all.

I'll give the clay bar a try (Already have one at home) and see where I get. Have some vinegar at home as well if the clay bar doesn't work. If those don't get me there, then I'll move on to the cleaner/wax/buffer setup.

I'm REALLY bad about taking care of the finishes on my vehicles. I hand wash with dish soap, and then towel dry with some micro-fibers. Usually do that a few times a year and that's it. Every now and then I have to get a bit more involved and the clay bar has worked for me for a long time, just never tried it on gel coat before.

I should probably consider waxing them at some point.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
WOW......Awesome responses. Thanks to all.

I'll give the clay bar a try (Already have one at home) and see where I get. Have some vinegar at home as well if the clay bar doesn't work. If those don't get me there, then I'll move on to the cleaner/wax/buffer setup.

I'm REALLY bad about taking care of the finishes on my vehicles. I hand wash with dish soap, and then towel dry with some micro-fibers. Usually do that a few times a year and that's it. Every now and then I have to get a bit more involved and the clay bar has worked for me for a long time, just never tried it on gel coat before.

I should probably consider waxing them at some point.
In case you aren't aware I'll mention that if you wash with dish soap you are removing any wax or other protective type coatings that you have applied previously. So if you are waxing or start waxing, get a good quality car or boat wash which is typically made to not strip wax and protective coatings.

EDIT: I'll throw in a shout out to Rejex as it is really easy on/off to protect the finish. I'm not much for enjoying detailing but I like to take care of my stuff, so I'm happy when I find an easy product that works. Rejex was my latest find discovered from the great people on this forum.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I use hot sauce vinegar based water spot remover after being in the water, but sounds like you should hit it with a rotary buffer and some compound. I just polished my Jeep doors after i painted them with home Depot spray paint. I used 3m gel coat polish because that's what i had.

20190523_193431.jpg20190523_223317.jpg

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I use a product called Ducky's water spot remover. I've mentioned it on here a number of times. The lake we normally boat on has a high mineral concentration so it spots on black hulls and once it gets baked in the hot sun it's next to impossible to remove without some chemical help. Vinegar and water in a spray bottle will work too, maybe not as easy, but it will eventually cut through it. Once you do get the water spots off you can certainly clay bar it. I did our Yamaha several years ago and it's still holding up well. I keep it clean and I seal the surface with Topcoat F11. Makes wiping it down a piece of cake and the dirty water doesn't stick to it.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In case you aren't aware I'll mention that if you wash with dish soap you are removing any wax or other protective type coatings that you have applied previously. So if you are waxing or start waxing, get a good quality car or boat wash which is typically made to not strip wax and protective coatings.

EDIT: I'll throw in a shout out to Rejex as it is really easy on/off to protect the finish. I'm not much for enjoying detailing but I like to take care of my stuff, so I'm happy when I find an easy product that works. Rejex was my latest find discovered from the great people on this forum.
Been reading up on Rejex this morning.......How far does a 12oz bottle go? Can I do a single coat on my truck (4dr short bed fullsize pickup), and my boat ('19 AR190) with one 12oz bottle?

Looks like it applies like a regular wax. Just clean the surface (which I would say I'm doing somewhat adequately with the Dawn Dish Soap and Clay Bar). Then apply Rejex, wait for the haze, then wipe off. Anything I'm missing there?

Might make a weeknight project out of the truck and really wash/detail it for the season. If it works well I might do the same thing to the boat.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Been reading up on Rejex this morning.......How far does a 12oz bottle go? Can I do a single coat on my truck (4dr short bed fullsize pickup), and my boat ('19 AR190) with one 12oz bottle?

Looks like it applies like a regular wax. Just clean the surface (which I would say I'm doing somewhat adequately with the Dawn Dish Soap and Clay Bar). Then apply Rejex, wait for the haze, then wipe off. Anything I'm missing there?

Might make a weeknight project out of the truck and really wash/detail it for the season. If it works well I might do the same thing to the boat.
You should be able to use one bottle on both. A 16 oz bottle has done 2 applications on my boat and 2 vehicles.

On application , make sure you are not applying over the wax. So your process is good. I put a light coat with good coverage. A couple key elements , temp under 85 degrees. I do not do it in direct sunlight either. After your finished give at least 12 hours to cure.

I was very skeptical when I first learned of it. I tried it and wow. I use it religiously. The fleet manager at the dealership that I buy my vehicles from laughs every time he picks up a truck from. "Do you use that stuff on everything? me - Yep . I don't suppose your going to buy the sealant from us then are you. Nope"

I have been doing it for 3 + years now, and my paint looks and feels better than when it was new. I do my vehicles every 6 months. The boat every year. It is so easy on and off that is doesn't take long to apply it. The normal prep on the boat the first time takes longer, but the follow applications don't. I will typically apply the rejex (about 45 - 1 hr) go inside and have a beer. Then wipe it off.

Last edited:

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You should be able to use one bottle on both. A 16 oz bottle has done 2 applications on my boat and 2 vehicles.

On application , make sure you are not applying over the wax. So your process is good. I put a light coat with good coverage. A couple key elements , temp under 85 degrees. I do not do it in direct sunlight either. After your finished give at least 12 hours to cure.
12hrs to cure eh?

SO, on the truck for instance........Apply, then wait 12hrs and remove haze? OR Apply, wait for haze (10-20min), remove haze, then don't drive until tomorrow morning?

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
12hrs to cure eh?

SO, on the truck for instance........Apply, then wait 12hrs and remove haze? OR Apply, wait for haze (10-20min), remove haze, then don't drive until tomorrow morning?
no remove when it hazes and don't get it wet for 12 hours on a vehicle overnight in the shaded garage would do it well, I edited the above post as well

Last edited: