• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Canal Access Home? Do you still have a trailer? Or store boat at your home?

mikelisa0212

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
My current house is too small to store a boat. Looking to move next spring and buy a new house.

Considering a canal access house or a house with a big garage or space for storing a 24' Yamaha. If you have a canal house, do you still have a trailer? I want to do all the work on the boat and don't want it in a marina. The canal houses I can afford are smaller and don't seem to have space to store a trailer. I don't have a big truck for towing, so going back and forth. Canal Access or house with storage and have to buy a big truck too. I don't want to pay for any storage.

I currently own a jetski, but this will be my first boat.

Any tips or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mike

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I thought I wanted a canal home but those I've talked to who have been there done that, say to reconsider. Disclaimer: I have been researching where I want to live on the coast, but this is second hand info.

Why?

First, canals are almost always in a flood zone/hurricane area with MUCH higher insurance premiums.
Second, canals are a maze of no-wake zones. You might be on the boat within a couple minutes in your back yard, but you might have 45 minutes or more before you get to the bay/Gulf/etc.

What was recommended to me was to get a house relatively close to the gulf but NOT in the flood zone. The money saved from the insurance every year can be used for dry dock storage of your boat. When you want to go boating, just give a call an hour or so before you are going to get there, and your boat will be at the dock ready for you to load up your gear and go boating.

If you really want to work on the boat at your house, you might be able to store your trailer somewhere for a low fee and just bring it home when you have something that needs attention.

If any Gulf-goers don't think this is a realistic option, please let me know, as I'm learning all I can about this as well.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Similar advice as to what I've heard, MOA. I'm in the research phase for an eventual move to the gulf area. Even a number of communities I've found that have their own boat ramps and secured parking areas, which would be great.

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Similar advice as to what I've heard, MOA. I'm in the research phase for an eventual move to the gulf area. Even a number of communities I've found that have their own boat ramps and secured parking areas, which would be great.
Yeah I was convinced I wanted a canal home until I talked to several people who have lived there and boated.

I was even told that you can join "boat clubs" down there and can schedule your pick of what kind of boat you want, and you don't have to actually own one. Want to go offshore fishing? Reserve a 36' center console. Inshore fishing? Reserve a bay boat. Going to the sandbar? Reserve a runabout/pontoon/whatever.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Exactly, I wanted a nice renovated house with a screened in pool and a lift out back. That's an expensive order. Taking out the requirement for water in the backyard options up a million options.

DieselCamel

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
World Cat
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I bought a canal home in SWFL 2 1/2 years ago so still new I guess it could wear off. I guess it really depends on what’s important to you. Yes insurance is higher and you get less house than non waterfront. But I’m 15 minutes from dock to throttling up. I keep my trailer at @veedubtek shop for maintenance, Hurricane haul out and Bahama trips. Definitely beats trailering and boat ramp crowds. You can go out for a quick trip for lunch, dinner or sunset cruise I feel trailering or boatel my boat would get less use. I also find myself outside On the lanai most every night enjoying the wildlife in the canal. It’s definitely worth it to me at this point in my life. 96102AE7C1682-F285-4C5A-AD05-34A850C859C3.jpeg

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That's a gorgeous piece of the earth you got there. Sucking me right back into wanting a canal home, lol.

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We are planning on shopping for houses in that area next spring, need to get out of Ct..

mikelisa0212

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Thanks everyone for the replies. I have come across a few canal properties that boast not in a flood zone, but that also means long boat trip to open water like MOA said. I guess the canal property would have to be a perfect scenario.

Seems like a few of you are looking to move to the Gulf Coast. I am currently in suburbs of Ft Lauderdale and looking at Cape Coral/Fort Myers. Diesel, I see you are close, any tips?

From what I can tell, Cape Coral seems better for boating. Lots of canals and public boat ramps. Cheaper housing. On the con, there is a lot of things in Fort myers that will cause you to cross those bridges (and pay tolls). Like Costco for one, I am addicted to Costco. Bigger stores/malls/variety and the airport.

DieselCamel

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
World Cat
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Cape Coral is definitely a great place has a lot to offer as far as shopping, restaurants etc. But is growing fast. Good or bad. Was on our list at first. But then we found Punta Gorda. More of a small town feel. Which we like better as we don’t go out that much and 90% of the shopping we do is online. Punta Gorda has something going on most in season weekends. OCT- May So there is always something to do if the wind is blowing and the water rough.

I would also educate myself on red tide in the gulf and blue-green algae in the Caloosahatchee River. As these Will probably have an affect on Boating at some point if you move to SWFL

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
My current house is too small to store a boat. Looking to move next spring and buy a new house.

Considering a canal access house or a house with a big garage or space for storing a 24' Yamaha. If you have a canal house, do you still have a trailer? I want to do all the work on the boat and don't want it in a marina. The canal houses I can afford are smaller and don't seem to have space to store a trailer. I don't have a big truck for towing, so going back and forth. Canal Access or house with storage and have to buy a big truck too. I don't want to pay for any storage.

I currently own a jetski, but this will be my first boat.

Any tips or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mike
I live on a canal. I love it! My goal was to get as close as I could to downtown Saint Petersburg and be on the water. I ended up ~6 miles away. Couldn't be happier.

If you're going to be close to the water chances are you'll be in a flood zone. If you're close to water and you're not in a flood zone, get insurance anyway.

My canal is a bit long but it's a beautiful ride to the bay. This also give the engines time to warm up and I'll definitely know if there's anything wrong before I get too far out there.

I've kept my boats on a trailer and at a high and dry. There is nothing that compares to having it in your backyard; nothing.

When I purchased my Yami 192 I gave the trailer back to the dealer. BIG mistake. Being the boat was new, the dealer had to come to me. Charges $100 just for coming out. I kept the trailer for my Chap. This allows mw to work on the boat in my driveway, bring to a dealer or bring to West Palm for boating excursions. I cannot keep the trailer at my home cause my side yards are to narrow. But, my neighbor allows my to keep it at his place. I lucked out.
IMG_2228.JPGIMG_2255.JPGIMG_0705.JPG
I pull my boat with a 2006 Honda Odyssey (touring edition). It's maxed out but have had no issues. Picked it up for cheap $$. Works great.

We also see dolphins, otters, manatees, fish (Snook, Mullet, Blue Crabs, etc.) and an alligator (once) from our dock. Like I said we are lucky to have found this place. Wouldn't trade it for anything.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Cape Coral area looks nice, but we're looking a bit closer to Tampa just to maintain some depth of job opportunities should the need arrive (though we can generally work remotely).

mikelisa0212

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Hey Sean,
I work remotely, but that is why we moved to Ft Lauderdale/Miami area, because there are more job opportunities. A security blanket kind of thing. Plus, I always wanted to live here. Now that we have been here for a few years, the negatives are starting to weigh more heavy on our loving Broward (crowds, traffic, expenses constantly rising). The equity in the house has grown to the point, we can go to Cape Coral and if I lost my job, could live on the wifes salary. So, looking for less stress (then why am I buying a boat? LOL) Fort Myers is more expensive and wondering if maybe it is worth it to move there instead?

Thanks Diesel. Yeah, that is a fear with Cape Coral. Growing fast and afraid those bridges will be a nightmare in the future. Yes, we had some Red Tide here on the Atlantic side too. Beaches closed, people getting sick.

Dean, that is cool you can pull that boat with an Odyssey. We also have an odyssey, but just tow our jetski. I don't have a boat yet, will be buying when we move to the gulf.

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I like visiting the Ft Myers area, and we thought about Cape Coral. Actually have a friend that bought a place in Cape Coral. After looking into the more local online discussions, I saw a lot of infrastructure concerns along with political infighting and high property taxes in that town that made me second-guess it as a place to buy. I'm not completely writing it off, but I will need to do a LOT more research at this point.

I'm still in the workforce, but work remotely. We would likely consider something more towards Sarasota at this point, just for the fact that I'd be closer to Tampa (and other cities) where I could get a job locally IF something happened to my current position and I ended up having to drive to an office everyday. I wouldn't want the long commute from SW FL if that ended up happening.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I will throw this out there.. forget the screen get a mistaway automated misting system. They are amazing and you can install up to 10ft of water.

Kills mosquitos, many other flying and crawling insects as well.

I want a canal home, but my oldest had 11 more years of school so I got some saving to do.

PortTobacco II

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am thinking a canal home with screened in pool in Punta Gorda might be our next move. We are trying it out by renting a real cool house this July for 10 nights. Starting my trip down with the boat, wife, and two dogs this Saturday the 29th. I have studied the canals in PGI and the rental house seems to be well positioned for relatively easy bigger water access.
Really looking forward to this vaca. My daughter will drive down from St Pete's for a few days. My In-Laws will drive up from Naples for a couple hours :) . And my son and his fiance will fly down and visit for a few days. I am hoping to be on boat in the water in some capacity at least 5 of the days we are there.

I currently have real nice set up on a 6 mile wide part of the lower Potomac River. But we do get beat up by wind and waves. Seems like every day there are small craft advisories. I have PGI (Charlotte Harbor) loaded into my Boat US app and I rarely see small craft advisories for that body of water.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am thinking a canal home with screened in pool in Punta Gorda might be our next move. We are trying it out by renting a real cool house this July for 10 nights. Starting my trip down with the boat, wife, and two dogs this Saturday the 29th. I have studied the canals in PGI and the rental house seems to be well positioned for relatively easy bigger water access.
Really looking forward to this vaca. My daughter will drive down from St Pete's for a few days. My In-Laws will drive up from Naples for a couple hours :) . And my son and his fiance will fly down and visit for a few days. I am hoping to be on boat in the water in some capacity at least 5 of the days we are there.

I currently have real nice set up on a 6 mile wide part of the lower Potomac River. But we do get beat up by wind and waves. Seems like every day there are small craft advisories. I have PGI (Charlotte Harbor) loaded into my Boat US app and I rarely see small craft advisories for that body of water.
Is this an AirBNB/VRBO? If so, mind sharing the link? PITA finding rentals anywhere that are both dog and boat friendly.

PortTobacco II

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is this an AirBNB/VRBO? If so, mind sharing the link? PITA finding rentals anywhere that are both dog and boat friendly.
Yes AirBNB. Took some looking to find an owner willing to let me bring my two very friendly and well groomed Golden Retrievers. I think there were extra cleaning fees and security deposits involved. AND the owner agreed to let me use her boat lift. Just hope the boat lift is in working order and the bunk boards are not too far apart.

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We moved up our start date for coming down and looking for property from next spring to this September. My fiancé sold her house with a closing date of 8/1 and I have two people that may be interested in mine. I usually don't ask people how much they pay for things but I'm curious what home owners/flood insurance and property taxes cost on a canal home in the Punta Gorda area. I'm sure it will be less then the $7,200 I pay for property on my house here in Ct..