• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cannot "close" engine compartment drain plug

EricE

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Not trying to debate whether the plugs should be closed or open when in the water..... For me it's easy since I can't screw in the plug that drains into the bilge from the engine compartment.
It is almost directly underneath the forward bulkhead in the engine compartment which means you really can't get the plug to screw into the threaded opening. This is on a 2020 212s.
Does anytime have picks of the plugs in their engine compartment? I am guessing the one in my boat was put to far forward when it was built.
I'll post pics as soon as I have a chance to take some.
It definitely has me stumped.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Not trying to debate whether the plugs should be closed or open when in the water..... For me it's easy since I can't screw in the plug that drains into the bilge from the engine compartment.
It is almost directly underneath the forward bulkhead in the engine compartment which means you really can't get the plug to screw into the threaded opening. This is on a 2020 212s.
Does anytime have picks of the plugs in their engine compartment? I am guessing the one in my boat was put to far forward when it was built.
Sounds the same as mine - it's hard to reach and not much room to turn your hand to get it threaded in and tightened. I sprayed all the plugs with silicone lubricant to keep them in good shape, and put them in so no need to remove them till there's a water problem - hopefully never. So for now I'm only going to remove them in spring and fall to spray them with silicone.

EricE

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Here are pics of the plugs... Notice the engine compartment drain plug...
Plugs.jpg

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well that is pretty dumb. It definitely looks like it was installed a little too far forward and before the sections were mated. You could always “stick a cork in it” if you really want it closed. (Rubber stopper). Over all the years, I only got a little water there once. It was too little to even drain so I used a paper towel.

EricE

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Well that is pretty dumb. It definitely looks like it was installed a little too far forward and before the sections were mated. You could always “stick a cork in it” if you really want it closed. (Rubber stopper). Over all the years, I only got a little water there once. It was too little to even drain so I used a paper towel.
Yeah, seems like a mistake... I'm not worried too much about it since the only water that would probably drain there would be from the fuel drain plug above it. Had a massive rain last night. So much that even with our button cover on I drained 5 gallons of water from the boat.(had to raise the front up)
Ski locker had about an inch of water...That area was totally dry.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Here are pics of the plugs... Notice the engine compartment drain plug...
Ok wow, after seeing the pic, yeah someone was in a hurry to go pee or something to screw that one in like that. Mine is right in the middle and still hard to reach, but not blocked an any way. I'd hit up the dealer on that one and complain to Yamaha.

EricE

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Ok wow, after seeing the pic, yeah someone was in a hurry to go pee or something to screw that one in like that. Mine is right in the middle and still hard to reach, but not blocked an any way. I'd hit up the dealer on that one and complain to Yamaha.
Definitely gonna mention it at the 1st service appointment and see what they say. I'm not sure there is much they will do though since it's probably not a safety issue.... Well see

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
I have the same issue. Unless you play for the NBA, there's no way your arms are long enough to reach it. I'm going to try some 24" needle nose pliers. Ridiculous

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Lol you want to see a really tough one to get to? Eng compartment fwd bulkhead on a 275 series. I reach my arm down as far as i can possibly get it and my hand is still 2ft away. Inly way i have found is to disassemble the front of the port eng. the intake and airbox has to be removed then you can hang upside down in there and barely get to it. Someone needs to pull you out though once your in there. Dont do it alone lol. Same goes for the bilge pump which is right next to the drain plug.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Lol you want to see a really tough one to get to? Eng compartment fwd bulkhead on a 275 series. I reach my arm down as far as i can possibly get it and my hand is still 2ft away. Inly way i have found is to disassemble the front of the port eng. the intake and airbox has to be removed then you can hang upside down in there and barely get to it. Someone needs to pull you out though once your in there. Dont do it alone lol. Same goes for the bilge pump which is right next to the drain plug.
🤣🤣

EricE

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
That seems crazy. I stopped thinking about it after I let the dealer know. I actually never heard back from them. I just leave it open.

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Well typically i would leave it closed. Its just to drain the fuel tank compartment into the bilge. I just happened to pull my deck up just to grease the bolts and chk the gasket. I had to hose the whole compartment out so jad to pull the plug then put it back in. It aint easy ill tell you that.