• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Captain's chair... Replace/swap/upgrade?

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Has anyone changed their captain's chair for any reason? Mine is very uncomfortable, and the bolster is a horrible design, not to mention even more uncomfortable. I guess I could replace it with anything really, but I don't know anywhere that I can just go sit in a bunch of chairs before purchasing. I'm not super concerned with matching upholstery. I'd much prefer a comfortable chair in solid white than the factory one I have now. So any successful swaps and recommendations on a new chair?

Last edited:

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a 2016 SX190 and I have to agree. The chair is fine with the bolster down for the most part, but I don't use it that way 99% of the time. Also, the chair wiggles a lot and feels like it's going to break. It was really noticeable yesterday on some pretty choppy water.

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
So the 2016 chair isn't any better then. It looks like the older boats had at least a better bolster design. I saw a 2008 chair and the bolster didn't have plastic arms, and you sat on the actual seat, instead of the end.

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think the 24' boats have a pretty good chair, but they are also quite expensive.

Redneck_4Play

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

Bedlamfirm

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I'm feeling same way. I'd like to find pedestal that is a bit taller. Does anyone know what can replace pedestal for 16 192?

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My bolster broke. So I installed a taller adjustable pedastle. Looking to replace the chair someday also.

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I installed an adjustable pedestal from garelick also. Its helpful for seat height, but its the seat itself I have a problem with. My seat should be the most comfortable one on the boat, and its awful.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I once looked into upgrading mine to an aftermarket recline chair back style but by the time it was all said and done the upgrade would have cost nearly $1,000. @njmr2fan recently upgraded his 19' to use the recline ones from the newer boats like in the 242 and it fit with the taller pedestal. Problem there is nobody sells those seats used so buying new from yamahasportsplaza you're right up there again near $1,000.

I too wished for a better seat, especially after test driving some wake boats where the seat was much more comfortable than mine. I will say the bolster on the Moomba Max was not as comfortable as the one in my boat mainly because on the Max there were these metal plates on the side of the bolster and I could feel them on the edges right under my thigh if I didn't sit right in the middle. You can see them in the pic below. The good news on that boat was even with the bow in the air for surf wave the visibility was good enough that I didn't even need to use the bolster (unlike the Axis). The Max's seat itself though was very comfy and made up for the bolster nitpick. My next boat I want to make sure the seat has better/higher back support and even better if it could recline.

image.png
image.png

No bolster and good visibility!
image.png

Last edited:

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
That does look like a nice chair. I was afraid of a crazy cost, for sure. I'm just pipe dreaming at the moment, but I found these online that seem like an improvement over stock.
https://greatlakesskipper.com/chaparral-boat-helm-bolster-seat-31-00166-186-ssi-white-black
https://greatlakesskipper.com/larson-boat-reclining-bolster-seat-8307-1448-2015-lxi-white-black

The problem is I don't think there's any way to know if it will be good or terrible until you buy it and try to install it. If I knew I could get a nice comfortable seat that fits the boat well for $400-$500, I'd probably do it. I don't want to spend that much, but after fighting the seat all weekend, I think it would be worth it. I've spent more on less unfortunately.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That Larson one looked like the one I was looking at a year or so ago only branded as something else I think. Like you said hard to know if a seat is any good unless you get to try it out and they cost so much that it's a gamble going by pics. I guess there's always reviews but not a lot out there for seats, most I find are about bass boat seat reviews. Don't forget that you'll need to get a sliding/swivel mount that works with it plus the pedestal. It all adds up quickly unfortunately.

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'd just love to be able to stand up BEHIND the wheel. Anyway, that is my dream......

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The bolster on my captains chair sucks in that there is little or no padding on the part of the bolster that I am sitting/leaning on when the bolster is up. I’ve used it so much i can actually see the indentation of the support bar underneath the vinyl.

I can’t see spending $1k plus to replace the entire chair but do plan on calling the marine upholstery shop that made me a custom Bimini boot and repaired another one for me to get a quote on having additional padding add to the bolster.

I took my boat out for its 2018 maiden voyage last weekend, 52 miles round trip for lunch. After that trip I decided to do something about the bolster. It is no longer acceptable for me to say, “I had a great day boating with my friends and/or family but now my butt hurts.”

I bought an adjustable pedestal for my last Yamaha jet boat, that didn’t work for me to get the chair th right height to replace the bolster meant my feet wouldn’t touch the ground when I sat in it.

I will report back once I get a quote but it probably won’t happen until next year as the shop is already very busy and the boating season just started.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think @Wesley D has an air suspension chair in his custom jet boat. Can’t imagine it getting more comfortable than that.

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What are the fasteners for the pedestal base? Are they bolts or screws?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think @Wesley D has an air suspension chair in his custom jet boat. Can’t imagine it getting more comfortable than that.
“Custom” and “air suspension” just sounds expensive or put another way, can’t imagine it getting more expensive than that but if this turns out to be a $200 mod, I’m all in and will buy you one as well.