• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Car dash cam recommendations

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I know there is a thread floating around out there, but I can't locate it. Anyone have a good recommendation for a basic dash cam that functions well? For under $75? There seems to be a few on Amazon with decent reviews for under 75 bucks. I just bought a kid a new car as a reward for me not having to pay for her grad school, and figured since I just bought a nice sport car also, maybe I should pick up two. Can't hurt, especially with all the knucklehead drivers out on the road today. Video evidence would be a nice thing to have. I had a circuit court case that I was not able to settle because the defendant driving the truck was a retired cop, and of course, what insurance company will doubt the former cop, when she indicated that my client's vehicle must have been doing at least 75 mph when she was driving down the road, blah blah blah. We had to file suit before the statute ran last fall. After exhaustive searching and subpoena power once suit was filed, I was able to locate a video which we all thought was destroyed (local guy was being vandalized and had set up a surveillance camera to catch the vandals, and it happened to catch my client's accident case also) and of course the case settled quickly, as my client had done nothing wrong. Thus, I see the value in a dash cam. Ha, you think litigation drags out? This wreck occurred in 2013 and just last month I received the settlement check. Gotta' love insurance companies. Whatever happened to the good old "Boulevard Rule" where when you approach a stop sign you must STOP AND YIELD! Well, justice was delayed, but ultimately obtained.

Absent this video, my client was stuck with over 20K in surgery bills putting her leg back together.....But I digress...

In any event, with a couple new cars and one new driver, I am looking for a cheap dash cam that functions well. Any suggestions? (Not spending more than $75 bucks either)

This one seems to be a basic unit that does what I need, with pretty good reviews, for $39.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LRK0HQ8/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

AIN'T THIS FORUM GREAT?

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a couple of the mini 0806 ones. From chinabay. Work excellent, superb video, tracks speed ang GPS tracks. Oldest is over 3 yrs. I would buy another. Cam.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would like one as well. One without the screen would fit me best, if I need to view the footage I could take the memory card to a computer and view it.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm in. Dash cam is just a good idea these days. Looking forward to the recommendations. No screen necessary as well.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I've looked at a few on slickdeals.com and in reading the comments they say if it has a battery it will fail quickly in the hot temperature inside a car. The capacitor models which don't have that problem may be the way to go. Something to research up on anyway.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My mini 806 has a tiny screen and i think a battery. It is very small and hides in front of the mirror so is hard to tell it is these. We have - 30f to 100f temps and it has done well. Note to make sure the capture is on overwrite. I missed capturing an exciting episode where I used the excellent tundra traction control to go ditch to ditch and avoid a black ice multiple car pileup. Cam.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Bumpity bump bump......more recs anyone?

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Bestbuy has a few options for under $100. You should be able to put your hands on them and ask the mobile install guys questions. The brand name is Thinkware.

I'm interested in this 2 channel unit if I can find it cheaper. I like the app connection idea.
http://m.brickhousesecurity.com//product/blackvue+2ch+dr650gw+dash+cam.do?utm_source=mb&utm_medium=product_search&utm_campaign=mb_product&campaign=399784463&adgroup=25108665023&keyword=&network=g&adposition=1o16&gclid=Cj0KCQjwn6DMBRC0ARIsAHZtCeNFk-3krpxarbMJk1F1Bq9nxaHcswYo2rPrIWjbWqC6KQGoGAY7JCkaAiVDEALw_wcB

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Getting power to them in a clean install is a pain. I installed the OEM 12v/5v converter in the headliner of my truck and put in a pico-fuse and wired it to the power at the convenience lights. Bit of work but worth it. Their method was to route a very, very long power wire around the vehicle, under the floor, and then up and plug into the cigarette lighter socket. Ugly. Cam.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Getting power to them in a clean install is a pain. I installed the OEM 12v/5v converter in the headliner of my truck and put in a pico-fuse and wired it to the power at the convenience lights. Bit of work but worth it. Their method was to route a very, very long power wire around the vehicle, under the floor, and then up and plug into the cigarette lighter socket. Ugly. Cam.
Agree....I would hard wire it into the fuse panel with a piggyback fuse extentesion.

claiton26

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Check out Gearbest if you want an inexpensive one.

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I got a cheap one for just fitting in my rental car, Walmart $25, came with micro card.
Resolution fine, overwrites the memory card for continued use, no problems so far.

Regarding hardwiring, just a word of caution, I wired my expensive dash cam in my own car and blew it up, it had the usual 12v socket and I cut that off to hard wire but to my discovery it reduces the voltage :confused::(.

mrmeaniemeateaterman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@OCMD not sure if you still looking or not and this is $100, not $75, but....I have one from Falcon Zero It is not hardwired in but cords tuck in enough for me (not crazy neurotic as some though). It turns on/off automatically plugged into cigarette outlet. Makes a little sound on start up/shutdown so you at least know it's on. Screen turns off automatically so not distracting. Has nice wide coverage in front of vehicle. Can mute microphone or it is recording you singing as you drive. Also has optional GPS that detects/records your speed (depending on your driving habits you may or may not want this). It records 3 minutes of video, then creates another file. It keeps doing this until it runs out of data then starts rewriting over oldest stuff. My experience the times I have looked at it is there are videos on there from several weeks ago that are still yet to be overwritten. Has survived one summer of NC heat so far.

My gripes are
1)the menu buttons on video playback are not real intuitive. So if you are in a wreck or witness a wreck and want to show officer on the side of road you better have instructions with you or play with it a lot to know how to use it.
2) LCD screen for playback is small and not real clear. But video on computer looks good, albeit very "fish eye" type video.
3) suction cup mounted, so not sure how well it would actually stay in place during a wreck, but you would at least get lead up to accident and impact.

Overall though you can pretty much set it and forget it and it's there if you need it.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Found one. $19.99 at Walmart. Might be the one @Britboater mentioned. Easy set up. Wires don't get in the way. Set it for 20 min loop, and let it rest in place. Automatically starts up when car turns on. Overwrites when included micro HD card is filled up. Too many lying POS's out there causing accidents and then lying in their statements to the insurance company, resulting in litigation to get paid for what the dirtball's negligence caused. When it happens to me, I will have it captured on video. Video quality is fine; set up easy and for 20 bucks you can't go wrong.20180506_141529.jpg

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Wow. I have been thinking of this too. $20 I can afford to buy the wrong thing.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@OCMD Can you post the part number?

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@buckbuck I am not sure what you mean - a number of the camera? Let me know and I will look. Here is the link:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Blackweb-Digital-Dashcam-with-1080P-Camera-and-SD-Card/612706432

I will say that I have not run it long enough to see if the overwrite works,(reviews say it does not) If it doesn't then I will say this camera sucks. Also, it has a motion detector, for whatever that is worth as far as security. Again, for 20 bucks, no loss and if it sucks I'll return it. I bought it months ago but finally set it up this week. Very pleased, to capture any poor driving in front of me. A potential $20 insurance policy against a liar who cuts me off.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks. I could not find it. I think I will take a chance with it.

props2you

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length