• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Carpet Button Pulled Out - Suggestions for Repair?

MDBodnar

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Per the title: any suggestions for repairing a carpet snap?

The snap ripped away from the carpet; suggestions for reinforcing the carpet backer and re-installing a button?

Thanks,
Mike

asclarch

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Had this happen last week. 3m marine sealant on the screw and drive it back in. Let it set overnight. Did not pull out last weekend. It should never pull out again.

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
5200 3m marine in the hole and then around the threads of the screw. Jam it back in there and wipe up the mess (with a paper towel that is lightly coated in wd-40)

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think the OP is saying the snap ripped out from the carpet, not from the floor of the boat...

I had it happen to my stock carpet and upgraded to Berber, but I would be interested in a simple fix for this too...

sstegh

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Had that happen on too many snaps in my old yamaha carpet (berber). I took all the carpet to an upholstery shop and had them reinforce the carpet at each snap with some heavy plastic. It wasnt hard plastic, just a thick clear chunk of pliable plastic on the underside of the carpet. With the berber you really couldn't see the stitching and they held very well.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had this last time I towed my boat on the highway without a cover and the carpet in (um, btw, don't do that). Aftmost starboard snap shredded out of the carpet.

I went to the local fabric store (Joann, I think) and looked though the remnants. I was able to find a few little sections of marine fabric from which to choose. I picked the heaviest and smallest piece I could find. I think it cost me about $2.

I cut about a 1" square and broke out the sewing machine with some grey thread. Sewed the living daylights out of the thing all the way around over the hole in the carpet (underneath, of course). Then I punched a little hole and installed a brand new snap (don't try to reuse the old one). Get a snap kit with an installer peg thingy and that will make the install easy. Line it up and smack it with a hammer a couple times.

Good as new.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Easiest thing to do is move the snap left or right. You'll need to move the male snap on the floor also. You will need a snap tool to install the new female snap in the carpet.