• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Catalina Island on a Jetboat ?

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
super long story, made very short.
  • we will most likely not be able to make Bimini in 2018
  • I got rather negative feedback about doing the Erie canal
  • some good friend from LA suggested going to Catalina
Has anyone attempted the 30 mile run? Or anyone has any recommendation in term logistics? For example, accommodations seem to be rather hard to find.

From looking around the forum a few people had mentioned the term "Catalina"
@Bruce @itsdgm @Glassman @Geoffrey bell

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There are some Yamaha guys on Facebook that have done it.

I prefer rough water to be warm.

Someday I want to take a road trip to the lakes of the South West culminating in a Marina Del Rey to Catalina trip.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
super long story, made very short.
  • we will most likely not be able to make Bimini in 2018
  • I got rather negative feedback about doing the Erie canal
  • some good friend from LA suggested going to Catalina
Has anyone attempted the 30 mile run? Or anyone has any recommendation in term logistics? For example, accommodations seem to be rather hard to find.

From looking around the forum a few people had mentioned the term "Catalina"
@Bruce @itsdgm @Glassman @Geoffrey bell
New thriller in paperback, coming soon!

"The Odyssey of An Immature Captain II: Catalina Emprise"

--

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
... and I thought that rough=hot :winkingthumbsup"

I fully intent to outrun you at Marina Del Rey and Catalina. But you know what they say, if you cannot beat them you got to join them....

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
New thriller in paperback, coming soon!

"The Odyssey of An Immature Captain II: Catalina Emprise"

--

I am coughing lungs out from laughing.... I hate you so very much, LOL

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have thought about making the trip to Catalina but from Long Beach where I went to college. I think it’s 26miles from Long Beach. An alternative is to buy into a pwc tour, one or two companies offer it in LA and/or Long Beach. For around $300 you get a pwc and a guide to lead you and others to and from Catalina on a day trip. If you bing your on boat and want to stay near the water there are quite a few hotels including the Queen Mary around the port of Long Beach.

JetPowered

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I have family in the Orange County area and I used to do the Catalina crossing over to Cherry Cove and the Isthmus every summer. I've never done it in anything smaller than a 26 foot outboard, but it's completely do-able. I've had very smooth crossings that have taken 45 minutes, and I have had teeth pounding whitecap'd crossings that take three hours. Usually its calm with just normal ocean swell at on average 1-2 height to navigate. Take a good VHF radio with you.

Like any other ocean crossing, weather is your friend. Leave early, get an early lunch and get back before the winds pick up too much for the return crossing. Or, rent a room on the island and stay. They have mooring options available for the boat.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Betik If you can access the old site, there was a guy called Captain Kev or something like that. He used to take his 240 out in the Pacific (from Honolulu?) and contributed some good write ups.
Not Catalina, but still more info on what to expect and how these boats do over there. I'll try to find it for you.

--

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've been there a bunch of times. We sailed from San Diego at 2-3 knots and it took 18hr! From long beach it's nothing. Guys take wave runners all the time. Leave in the morning before the chop kicks up. Stay on avalon for simplicity. Talk to the harbor master about overnight parking.

JetPowered

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Come to think of it, book a ride on the Catalina Express and you'll still get a ride in a jet boat, just a really big one. They even have a bar on board! :p

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Come to think of it, book a ride on the Catalina Express and you'll still get a ride in a jet boat, just a really big one. They even have a bar on board! :p
that is what rational people will do.

For the irrational ones the destination carries value only if it is done with your boat. I rationalize my actions as such. I love that my wife has kids and I love it even more that she made those kids with me. :eek:

JetPowered

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
No, I don't blame you one bit. It's much cooler arriving in Avalon walking up from the small dock versus walking DOWN from the big dock. Plus much of Catalina is best seen from the shoreline, accessible ONLY by boat.

Lion

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The ride from San Pedro to Catalina is 21.78 Nautical miles. People do it all the time.
Yes definitely take a VHF radio as stated by Jet Powered.
A couple of friends and myself once did the trip on a little 17’ boat. We wanted to go fishing at the island. We left early and had a very smooth ride. Once we got to the back side of the island (open ocean side), it became a different story... lol
We headed back to the Avalon side and fished all day.
Our trip back was a rough one. High swells.
I do agree that you need a radio. And if any boats come near you to say hello and happen to ask if you have a radio, just say yes even if you don’t ...lol
We didn’t have one. when a captain of a fishing boat asked and we said no, let’s just say that he about lost his head going off on us.
Very doable and fun trip.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Betik like others have stated above, it's very doable. Lots of people make that crossing an anything from waterskis to SUP's. I for one have only gone over on commercial boats or helicopter. So I can't give you any first hand experiences on making the crossing.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
thank you for the feedback. I am getting excited. I am going to LA this weekend and I will see if I can drive by a couple of marinas to check them out.

PS. In terms of VHF, please rest assured that if I make a single boat trip, there will be 3 VHF on board ( 1 HH & 2 fixed with 8ft antennas) as well as 2 independent GPS units.