• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Chap is the fastest of the the 24' jetboats (tested by Boattest)

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I posted this on the Facebook as well... but in case you missed it:

http://www.boattest.com/view-news/5774_what-is-the-fastest-24-bowrider
Very interesting!
I'm good with those results as many 24' yammies can top 50 (with a clean hull, lol). I'm actually very surprised that the 24' yammies placed ahead of all o/b and most sterndrives considered in that test...!
But, as the authors point out: "While there is a clear-cut winner, there is also more to the story."

Here is the catch, IMO:
"Going fast is simply a matter of building a boat with a flattish bottom"

IMO the yammies are the best in class (for jet boats) in rough water.
(As long as a 2015+ AR tower does not knock the captain off of the boat that is, lol).

--

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
you should glue swim noodles to the tower so it won't hurt as much when it falls off LOL

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
at least (or I hope) it was better than that donkey who made the video that told how much faster the seadoo was vs. the Yamaha (except it was a moving start and the Yamaha had his bimini up and still only within a boat length lead)

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Did any scarabs finish the test without sinking?

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
36.1 GPH, that's a hell of a lot of gas.

Last edited:

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I dont believe much on that site as far as tests go.

seadude

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Put twin 250 outboards on that Four Winns (same hp as the Chap) and she'd really fly!

Foobar

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I hit 50 mph in my 210 FSH that is bone stock. I guess that is pretty good then.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I felt pretty good after reading this morning knowing I have hit 52 in my AR that puts it right up there with the fastest in category with in jut 2 mph I can live with that.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
52 is all i got as well for top speed on my ar240.
I rarely run wide open, so overall i am extremely happy with its performace

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I think the 21’ Chap with twin 250’s will do 60-61.

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
There is one of these Chaps on the lake I usually go to. Really beautiful boat.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have to agree the VRX is a is a very attractive boat and seems like a performer. Chaparral makes a solid boat. I looked closely at one when I was "shopping" in 2016.

There's a dealer in my area that my family has had dealings with for close to 30 years. I was just there to get my mother's boat after service and noticed that there was a jetboat on the floor and started to ask questions. Turned out they had a 24ft Glastron, a 19ft Scarab, and a 24ft Chaparral VR. The Chaparral is the one that caught my eye first. They'd ordered it with a few options, like a tower and such, but I'm not sure what engine size it was running. I knew Chaparral makes great boats but wasn't familiar with the Rotax. One thing lead to another and the dealer tried real hard to make me a deal on it at $60k, claiming it was his bottom figure and he needed to clear it from his inventory. I wasn't even sure if I was in a position to buy a boat yet... but it peaked my interest and made me serious about comparing it to the Yamaha's that had caught my eye at the boat show the year prior.

I started researching between the 2 and in the end purchased my AR240. There were several factors that lead me to my decision and the boattest.com stats plaid a bit of a roll.
1) Affordability - Yamaha's relationship with Synchrony Bank got me approve for a 2.99% interest rate for 5 years and 5.99% for the remaining. The best I could get for the Chaparral on my own was 6%. Made me realize I actually could afford a boat.
2) Price - both boats were, stock, were similarly equip. But the Yamaha was something like $7k less to start. I had the dealer add in a full speaker swap upgrade, adding amps, sub, and tower speakers. Also a 3 bag 3 pump ballast system and ribbon delete. All this included I was still under $60k and less than a 242 Limited s.
3) Interior layout - I much preferred the passenger swivel reclining captains chair in the Yamaha over the multi position backrest thing the Chaparral had.
4) Noise level - BoatTest statistics showed the Chaparral was producing the same noise level at idle as the Yamaha made at full throttle.
5) Reliability - the Rotax engines seem to have a bad rap, whether deserved or not... The dealer here is quite reputable for their service. So I don't know that I'd be all that scared...

Anyway, all this is pretty much a long way of saying that the one thing I have been slightly disappointed in with my Yamaha is it's top speed. At my altitude I'm topping out in the mid 40's. I expected a little more from a twin engine jetboat, but it's adequate. I think I got the right boat for me at the time, but I'd take a second look at a Chaparral next time I'm in the market.

Last edited:

spaceman2

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I worry about the Clean out plugs coming out on the Yamaha models from what I read some people have had problems with them. They seem to sell
alot of these boats even with that issue. I like the look of the Chaps and the build a bit more, cushions seem to first class on them. I like the walk thru transom to without having to step on cushions.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I worry about the Clean out plugs coming out on the Yamaha models from what I read some people have had problems with them. They seem to sell
alot of these boats even with that issue. I like the look of the Chaps and the build a bit more, cushions seem to first class on them. I like the walk thru transom to without having to step on cushions.
2 seasons in with my Yamaha and never had a issue with the clean out plug popping out. I just check they are seated properly before each outing. I think they've even redesigned them in more recent models. I think the convenience of having them available far outweighs the chance they might pop out. Most instances I've heard of the results have been insignificant. The small center cushion is removable so the is no stepping on the seat when entering the boat off the swim platform.

There is a give and take with each boat. It's been 2 years since I last looked at a Chaparral. They are beautiful and the build quality seemed as good as you'd expect from any Chaparral boat.

spaceman2

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I wonder if anyone has noticed a new design of the plugs in this forum??????????

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The new ones don't pop, so there's nothing to talk about :D

That's my exposure to them in the forum so far.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Last edited:

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Anyway, all this is pretty much a long way of saying that the one thing I have been slightly disappointed in with my Yamaha is it's top speed. At my altitude I'm topping out in the mid 40's. I expected a little more from a twin engine jetboat, but it's adequate.
I would want a demo in the other boat at altitude to get a apples to apples comparison, aren't they going to suffer from the altitude also?

I worry about the Clean out plugs coming out on the Yamaha models from what I read some people have had problems with them. .
That would be about the last thing I would worry about, 7 years and not have one launch yet. Most people that have issues don't even know it's a possibility and don't address it. On the older models a simple $25. lock cures it and on the new models it supposedly can't happen.