• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Chaparral 203 Vortex Won't Turn To Right

Dajson

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Was out riding yesterday and all of sudden I was unable to turn to the right. I could go left or straight. Got back home and can't see anything stuck. I do have thrust vectors installed but they don't appear to be hitting anything. Granted I can't get a full view since I was looking at it with the boat in the water. Would as broken cable do this? I've been boating 40yrs and never had a steering cable break. Also, anybody know a site I can go to to explain how to adjust the steering cable.

Thanks

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Broken cables will push and the pump force will return the nozzle to center but it just won't pull so it is possible, because of that when I do tricks involving going fast and aiming for the trees I do it making a left turn because if the cable breaks on a right turn landing in the mangroves at 60 mph is not any fun.

ChrisM

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Best to have it out of the water and check all bucket, and nozzle linkage. And with someone operating steering/forward/reverse while you examine the function. I had either a propulsion or reverse issue 5 months after purchase and realized I had lost a single screw on the port reverse gate tie rod. The starboard side tie rod actually bent. The lever and pin nut was heading south too. All was covered under warranty. After checking all fasteners following that I never had an issue since.

IMG_2558.JPG

IMG_2559.JPG

IMG_2560.JPG

IMG_2561.JPG

IMG_2562.JPG

IMG_2568.JPG

IMG_2569.JPG

Attachments

Dajson

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Thanks for the replies. The cable is pulling because nozzle will go hard left and I can then straighten it out . It just won't go right. What is strange is the wheel turns it's normal range. It turns about 3/4 of a turn to left and right from center, like it did before this happened.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
left is a PUSH right is a PULL won't go right it won't pull cable is broken. As I said before the water in the nozzle from the pump will make the nozzle go back to straight even with a broken cable it just won't pull it to the right so the boat won't go right. broken cables will often still turn left because if the cable is broken within the outer cable it is confined and the broken end will push the other broken end of the cable to make a left turn and the nozzle will return to center as soon as you retract the cable but once at center it stops.
if you had a stuck nozzle the helm would stop turning when the nozzle hit the obstruction , perhaps you can turn the helm all the way to the right and then grab the nozzle and turn it with your hand also to the right if the nozzle turns by hand but not by helm it would be a bad cable.
If the nozzle was obstructed and would not turn to the left then the helm would also stop when the nozzle stops turning .

Last edited:

Dajson

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
The nozzle turns to center when the boat is not running. At the dock I have somebody turn the wheel and the nozzle goes to center from a hard left position then the helm will keep turning to it's usual hard right position. When I try to turn the nozzle right by hand it won't go past center. I don't see any obstruction stopping it though.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
unhook the cable from the nozzle and see if the nozzle goes all the way to both sides if so you have a helm or cable issue

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
one thing bothers me about your description the nozzles stop at center but the helm keeps turning to the full right hand position How could it do that unless there is an issue with the cable or the helm when a nozzle is stuck so should the steering wheel also be stuck . Nozzle stops but wheel keeps turning probably a cable or helm issue.