• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

CHAPARRAL SuperCharger Rebuild Rates, Manuals & Gas

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
1) OWNERS MANUAL:

First: A complete, official copy of the Chaparral Owners manual for 2015 Vortex boats can be downloaded herein”

http://www.chaparralmedia.net/owners-manuals/2015/2015%20Vortex%20Owners%20Manual.pdf

2) FUEL: Page 6-2:

+                 CHAP GAS.jpg

According to an official spokesman @ Chaparral, the boats operate just fine on 87 octane, “regular” gas.

3) WINTERIZATION: Page 9-2.

Keep in mind, the ROTAX power plants from BRP have a Closed Loop cooling system. This in itself has several inherent benefits, particularly if you use your boat in salt water. However, there are also some corresponding disadvantages. And here is 1 of them.

"ENGINE

Important: In regions where temperatures fall below freezing, winterizing your engine is necessary. Failure to do so will seriously damage the engine. Refer to your engine owner’s manual for detailed winterization information."

4) SUPERCHARGER REBUILD RATE:

OFFICALLY ANSWER - according to Chaparral is 200 HOURS – not 100 hours (as I and other had suspected.) This came from a direct phone call to Dan Osbourne, Customer Service Manager of Chaparral in Nashville, GA.

The “change” to some of us from 100 hrs to 200 hrs came from a result of a different supercharger on the Rotax power plants. So a phone call to BRP elicited this:

Rotax superchargers used to use a ceramic “clutch” (wear washer actually). This proved to be less robust from what was desired. A few years ago, this item was changed again. Then approx. 2 years ago BRP went to a total re-design of this key component. They changed to a hardened steel “washer” (ie, Clutch). And this alone accounts for the change from a supercharger rebuild rate at 100 hours to a DOUBLING of 200 hours. Which also made them more competitive with their competitors.

There you have it. Please enjoy your Boating Season !@ - Mikey Lulejian – Lake Oconee, GA

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Nice Research! Still sounds like you have an extra expense almost annually depending on usage.

fairpilot

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What is the extra expense? Yamaha requires a 200HR valve adjustment, which for m what i hear is at the same cost as super charger rebuild. 200 hrs of boating for most people is 4-5 years. Very good information, too bad there is not a dependability rating of both yamaha and rotax engines.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What is the extra expense? Yamaha requires a 200HR valve adjustment, which for m what i hear is at the same cost as super charger rebuild. 200 hrs of boating for most people is 4-5 years. Very good information, too bad there is not a dependability rating of both yamaha and rotax engines.
Chris, do any four stroke Yamaha's require valve adjustment? I thought that was only on the two strokes?

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@MikeyL nice stealth work. How does octance make it all the way to the published manual? Actually, I think I have an idea.

fairpilot

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
according to yamaha all 4 stroke have valve adjustment at 200hrs

PolarXJ

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great writeup!

Winterization on the Rotax has been hotly debated on some Seadoo forums. The part of concern is the exhaust side of the engine, which still uses raw water. Some say just start and rev the engine once out of the water a couple times and you are good. Others say flush it with antifreeze.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Certainly not worried about a valve job. Anyone do that on their cars as maintenance? Motorcycles?
I am glad they updated the clutch though!

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
OK ............ Let's talk facts. In general, when we compare brands, we (I think) are looking from the perspective of someone contemplating purchasing new products from the respective companies. So in the case of a ROTAX supercharger rebuild, that would only apply if someone would be purchasing a NEW Chaparral VORTEX boat.

So maybe we should constrain our comparisons within the CURRENT Yamaha power plant offerings - The 1.8's. NOT the MR-1's, of which I have no knowledge about.

To answer the point posted above, I contacted 2 Service Managers @ quality Yamaha boat dealerships, that I know. And discussed the point about "Valve adjustment" .......... as well as any Factory Required/Recommended servicing @ 200 hours.

Here are the answers: Yamaha DOES suggestion a Valve Adjustment check @ 200 hours. And "it is POINTLESS !" "We have inspected 1.8's that have 300 and 400 hours on them and the valve adjustment is perfect. So we don't suggest customers do this, as
WE FEEL IT IS A WASTE OF HARD-EARNED MONEY !" Ok ........ But are there other required not-normal servings required at 200 hours ? Answer: "NO."

One additional item WAS mentioned regarding valve lash adjustment: The adjustment is "so tight, that if it gets out of adjustment, the valve's gonna break !" So you won't have to wait to see this during some "200 hour inspection. However, this is EXTREMELY RARE !"

Compare that to making a decision as to whether or not to have a BRP ROTAX supercharger rebuild done @ 200 hours and it's a completely DIFFERENT story and response. It's a MUST DO ! And the FAILURE to have this service performed accounts for the majority of the complaints you have heard about SeaDoo's !

Personally I own 2 totally trouble-free SeaDoo's ... and love them. And they are both NON-supercharged, for the above reason. Barbie and I don't care to spend our monies on expensive supercharger rebuilds.

I sincerely hope this clears this point up about servicing on Yamaha jet boats @ 200 hours.

A Great boating weekend to all, Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

Last edited:

fairpilot

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Very good information. Pays to go right to the source. Thank you for taking the time to research this. My boat currently has MR. so not experience with 1.8. I have probably made my choice unless chaparral want to really discount. Their boat

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Im about done with these Yamaha vs (fill the blank________) threads. Especially the comparisons within the brand's section. What does this do for the current owners other than see what they could have had, or weary of what they have spent their hard earned cash on.

These sections are suppose to help future and current owners of what ever brand. But it seems every other day there is another damn comparison thread that is somehow disguised as an informative one.

Please show some respect for those that dont have a Yamaha. Its getting to the point Im not even going to post on here anymore. Ill probably get flamed for saying something about it, but damn how many more people will we loose. I know of a few that wont even waste their time anymore in here. Not one of the "other" guys do this. There was a troll last year that couldn't even talk english, but thats it.

You know what? Not one of us cares about what brand is better. What we care about is where the meets are going to be, and who's buying the first round.

PolarXJ

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@ScarabMike I agree with you. I loved my Sea-Doo and have nothing but respect and excitement about the new Rotax powered offerings. At the end of the day we all need to remember that it is all about enjoying our time on the water. Not worrying about the specs that get us onto the water.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
For the record, an OEM rebuild kit for the charger is $328. Jerry @ greenhulk will do the job for $75. It took me probably 20 minutes to remove mine, and I had never done it before. I did mine @ 80 hours because I did have the ceramic washer still (mine is an 07). They have been updated since. I would've just done the whole rebuild myself (it looks pretty dam easy), but for $75, it just made too much sense to send it off and avoid any problems.

And for the record, @ScarabMike is absolutely right. I mean, I guess I own both now, and love them both. I get why people feel a certain way about what they love, but it does always tend to go overboard.

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@ScarabMike - Without question, there are a handful of posters that are very brand loyal and might be blinded to be objective in their opinions of other boat brands. That said, I think the majority of us are very open minded and are excited about the new jet boats hitting the market. The fact remains that many long-time boaters don't view any of the jet boats as "real" boats. Even at the Chaparral owner's forum, other Chaparral owners as a whole have not embraced the Vortex line of boats. Each brand including Scarab, Chaparral and Yamaha all have their pros and cons I think there are good arguments to buying each. There are also some technical differences such as clean-out ports, noise level ,ongoing maintenance costs, etc. that are helpful for each person in making a boat buying decision so I think it is good that we discuss them. In the course of these discussion some will go overboard and others will downplay things. In the end, most of us can sort out where the middle is. You and other non-Yamaha owners are a valuable part of this community. You are our only real view into what the new boat is really all about because they all look good at the boat show. We have found many things wrong with the Yamaha boats through the years (oil coolers, upholstery issues, noise, seat mechanisms, etc.). I expect we will find a similar list with Chaparral, Scarab or any other boat brand. It is not an attack on the brand or the individual. I hope you stay engaged and we learn more about what you like and don't like about your Scarab. I have enjoyed your posts and your perspective.

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I didnt buy a jet drive for the main reason everyone panders about, safety. I chose it for the shallow draft and simplicity, I dont get how people say these are not boats. I also dont see much if any drawbacks to having one. What are the negatives?? it takes some skill to pilot? I have not really found anything else

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Im about done with these Yamaha vs (fill the blank________) threads. Especially the comparisons within the brand's section. What does this do for the current owners other than see what they could have had, or weary of what they have spent their hard earned cash on.

These sections are suppose to help future and current owners of what ever brand. But it seems every other day there is another damn comparison thread that is somehow disguised as an informative one.

Please show some respect for those that dont have a Yamaha. Its getting to the point Im not even going to post on here anymore. Ill probably get flamed for saying something about it, but damn how many more people will we loose. I know of a few that wont even waste their time anymore in here. Not one of the "other" guys do this. There was a troll last year that couldn't even talk english, but thats it.

You know what? Not one of us cares about what brand is better. What we care about is where the meets are going to be, and who's buying the first round.
Good point! I think the original intent was just to show differences in order to make educated choices.
As you said first we all love our boating, then we love jet boats (thus the whole concept of the site) and the value is sharing information and the friendship of having many people enjoying the same things. Lets keep the friendship and passion around jet boating going!

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
When I first started arranging the financing for mine, the bank said no. They said it's not a boat, it's listed as a PWC. So you think I'm buying an 18' long jetski that can hold 8 people? Yes. :confused:

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
When I first started arranging the financing for mine, the bank said no. They said it's not a boat, it's listed as a PWC. So you think I'm buying an 18' long jetski that can hold 8 people? Yes. :confused:
I have heard and read this same thing so many times. It is truly how your insurance company or bank looks at it. And sometimes they are full of crap! Tell them it is a twin or single inboard boat. Don't use the words..."jet". But there is a caveat to this, you title may show the boat as an inboard vs jet. However the boat is an inboard, the drive is jet however. They don't care. And I helped the buyers of my 230, the Nauti Dawg, with that caveat...their state registration was held up because they considered the boat not meeting california emissions standards. Here is the real laugh...when they thought they were not going to get it done, they went to the top of whatever their states motor vehicles/boats department is, the state comptroller or whatever. He sorted it out quickly and found a loophole for them...the exception to their standard was "jet boats"! You just have to help whoever your talking to, to get their head out of their ass! I guarantee that your bank has other Yamahas financed, maybe not that lending officer, but the bank does. Yamaha has more of the recreational boating market than the nearest top 2 competitors combined. Someone other than Yamaha is financing those boats!