• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Chaparral Vortex 203VRX

Captain Kaos

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Does anyone have issues with using this boat for water skiing. I'm finding it's a struggle to pull a skier out of the water (more so on one ski deep water start). Also the wake is ugly (rough) and hard to ski behind - maybe that's just a thing with jet boats.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Does anyone have issues with using this boat for water skiing. I'm finding it's a struggle to pull a skier out of the water (more so on one ski deep water start). Also the wake is ugly (rough) and hard to ski behind - maybe that's just a thing with jet boats.
Which model WRX do you have? Anything with twins should be able to pull few large skiers up simultaneously. Unless there is something wrong with the pumps causing cavitation etc.
The wake is ugly, but we are working on it, LOL. A long 65+ rope is a must.

--

Captain Kaos

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
A 203 so only the single engine. I find that speed isn't the problem just the start up grunt.

Micah Thompson

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
A single-jet will always struggle more pulling up a skier, only so much water a single jet can move, even if you have the big 250 engine. The 203 is available with twin 150s, which is much better, but few dealers offer that option, and it bumps the price up a bit.

Jet boats do not have pretty wakes, that is just the way it is. They're for recreational, not serious water sports. Like Swatski said, keep the rope long, to get as much out of the jet wash as possible.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Captain Kaos I would seriously consider installing the Lucky 13 anti-cavitation cone (to swap the OEM one). I used to have a single engine Yamaha 2012 SX190, and with some mods including the L13 it pulled like a mofo. I could run it on plane with 1,800lbs of ballast, no problem, and pull two wake boarders.
I have no first hand experience with Rotax pumps, but a lot of jet skiers on greenhulk.net report very good results with L13s. You could contact Jerry Gaddis there for soem advice, he is very responsive. Also see if you could get in on the group buy that @Bruce is trying to put together right now, albeit it is a Yamaha pump group buy, but who knows.
https://jetboaters.net/threads/lucky-13-performance-cone-group-buy-march-1st-to-31st-2017.12544/

--

Captain Kaos

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
A single-jet will always struggle more pulling up a skier, only so much water a single jet can move, even if you have the big 250 engine. The 203 is available with twin 150s, which is much better, but few dealers offer that option, and it bumps the price up a bit.

Jet boats do not have pretty wakes, that is just the way it is. They're for recreational, not serious water sports. Like Swatski said, keep the rope long, to get as much out of the jet wash as possible.
Thanks for that and always appreciated that it would be a trade off but did think it would pull a single skier out of the water a little better. I didn't know you could option with two engines - shame really as we had to pick the 203 given the overall size of the boat (the 223 was fractionally too wide).

JetTech72

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
If you want to do watersport with a Vortex 203, definitely go for the Twin 150 configuration.
You have more torque with 2 pumps, to get out & going you need to process water.
IMO the Vortex 203 Twin 150 is one of the best jet boat on the market, especially if you have to tow it around.

bjnacc

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I have not skied yet behind the Vortex...but after a recent on-water test, I have put down a deposit on a 203 and I am very eager to ski behind it this summer. I would say this: The boat has a very impressive hole shot. It gets up on plane faster than anything I've seen in the prop driven world. Also: 250 HP from a single engine should be plenty of power for any water sport. So with that, I would be less likely to pin your deepstart issues on the boat and more likely to look at the many other variables involved. If you have a bigger skier that's 225+ lbs. and is weaker or not aware of proper deep start fundamentals, using a traditional thin or undersized slalom ski- and boat loaded full of people.......forget it! But if you have a medium build person, skilled in deepwater starts, using a newer midfat ski with just you and a spotter....boom up in seconds. If your situation is the 2nd and not the 1st...then maybe your boat needs some TLC from a mechanic. You can always utilize the tower too. It pulls you up and forward during the start, making it easier for heavier guys. If you're hardcore, you won't like to ski with the tower but if you're a recreational skier still working on deep starts, it won't matter. As far as the wake- yes it's a little more churned up as compared to prop boats....but if you cut hard and fast like we do through the wake, you'll slice right through that like it's nothing. Stick with a standard 75 foot rope for the best results there.

I thinks it's hilarious when people chime in and say..."ya you definitely need to get the twin engines if you'r going to do water sports." It's not like he can just go add an engine. He bought his boat already and it is what it is. I think if he makes some adjustments he'll be fine with what he has...and happier when he goes to the gas pump.

Last edited: