• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Charleston Boat Show

Foobar

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I went to the boat show last Sunday. I saw a lot of very expensive boats. While many of them had higher level trims, I still did not see anything more functional than my 210 FSH. (In my opinion.) Looks like I saved about $50k and got a better boat.

A lot of people looked at me like I had an arm coming out of my ass when I told them "center console jet boat". They really could not fathom the idea.

Short sighted.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Many people love these FSH models, and Scarab has a nice open CC twin coming out. @ClemsonTiger would or would not agree, I think. He does a lot of fishing and used to own a FSH.
:D

--

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Pricing really has gotten insane on some of the boats out there. It feels like things I was looking at that were $60K two years ago at the show are now $80k

Foobar

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I was surprised to see the Gamefish 25 was under $90k.

ClemsonTiger

REJECTED / BANNED
REJECTED / BANNED
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Unless you drift or bottom fish only, every boat you looked at has more functionality than any jet boat.

Won’t track straight, can’t install an AP...I’ll leave it at those 2, no need to list every shortfall, the tribe will get angry

Tailwaters

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
There are certainly pro's and con's with FSH. Mainly to do with the jet. I love the layout of the FSH! It offers an abundance of storage and the ability to have a head in a 19' boat is unheard of. In my book the only two pitfalls of the jet are the inability to trim the boat and break it free from the water for a smoother ride. And the difficulty in maintaining a straight line for trolling. Aside from that I give it 4.5 out of 5 stars. Let’s face it the jet boat gets put in the jet ski category by most folks. That is until they see the FSH :):).. I've only had mine for half a summer but based on what I've see I'd buy it again.

Foobar

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I will let you know how the trim tabs go. They will address both the straight tracking and obviously the trim. Worked like a dream on my last I/O boat.

ClemsonTiger

REJECTED / BANNED
REJECTED / BANNED
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Dunno what type of trim tabs you plan on installing but unless it’s some new 2018 product that has never existed before....trim tabs do nothing in regards to the boat tracking straight...

I am still amazed at what I hear here.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was surprised to see the Gamefish 25 was under $90k.
Last year I saw it for $82k I didn't look at pricing on it this year but was shocked to see the Sea Hunt 255SE was 80K with a single engine I figured it would be 5K-10K less then that.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Foobar

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Dunno what type of trim tabs you plan on installing but unless it’s some new 2018 product that has never existed before....trim tabs do nothing in regards to the boat tracking straight...

I am still amazed at what I hear here.
Wow ...

I assumed you were referring to low speed bow wander while trolling. The basic fixes for this are trim outdrive (can't do on jet boat), use a 4 blade prop (can't do on jet boat), use twin engines, or put the trim tabs down. Trim tabs not only provide lift, but can also act as a horizontal stabilizer from the swirling vortices of water caused by the hull moving through the water and collapsing at the transom causing the drift. I have seen something as simple as Nauticus Smart Tabs straighten out numerous boats suffering from this issue.

Of course, fluid dynamics may act differently in Florida, so I will just sit here being stupid.

Foobar

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Same basic properties.
The Vipers are actually quite different, w/somewhat of a trim-tab design/action incorporated in there.
They also stay down at speed, just like Ultimates and AK cobras, and have "built-in" fangs/megas. Quite clever! and seems to work wonders as based on reviews of people who know jet boats well.

--

Foobar

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The Vipers are actually quite different, w/somewhat of a trim-tab design/action incorporated in there.
They also stay down at speed, just like Ultimates and AK cobras, and have "built-in" fangs/megas. Quite clever! and seems to work wonders as based on reviews of people who know jet boats well. --
If it were not for the lateral thrusters, I would have went with the Cobras. The thrusters work great by the way.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I can promise you the magnum A K system with the Mega Fangs would have given you so much more for a lot less money and seriously the mag ak system will not interfere with the lateral thrusters so you could have installed them but I honestly think the mega fangs do a lot more with no loss of reverse thrust plus they give even more steering effect at all speeds and increase the reverse thrust by focusing it rather than taking it away to direct it sideways. And they give you a power steering effect from having the front of the mega fangs forward of the nozzle pivot point and the system adds balance to the steering by adding a second tie rod so everything works evenly and has redundancy. Without placing the lower part of the fins near the bottom of the factory rudder. So now you spent a lot of money and you still have the hull wandering around on you and you will be spending more money on trim tabs but it probably won't help. The magnum AK system including the mega fang system is about $540 complete with the extra tie rod, and you would not need anything extra. The boat would then respond instantly at any speed . Hell it even has 30 days to send it back for a refund if it doesn't do what you want. I always say do your homework and buy your last system first. If you don't have a smile on your face when you are driving your boat you probably don't have COBRA JET STEERING on it!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I will be posting this on my web page soon ,

In early 2016 we began selling our famous fang system as an upgrade to our steering systems.

The original fangs were designed to increase the reverse control of Yamaha jet boats by directing the reverse thrust as it exited the bottom of the steering nozzle.

This design also provided a power steering effect by having the front portion of the fang extend forward of the pivot point of the steering nozzle to capture energy from the water as it passed by to assist in turning the nozzle and steering fins at speed.

Needles to say being able to add a power steering effect & improved reverse control at a very low price made these a huge success.

So for that reason we have discontinued the fangs! And why would we do that? Here is why we discontinued the Fangs.

We wanted to make them BIGGER , BETTER & MORE EFFECTIVE, not only for superb reverse control and more power steering effect but also for maximizing steering control at all speeds!

Yes they actually enhance the steering system as well.

The new MEGA FANGS are also compatible with more steering systems including other peoples systems.

SO WELCOME the new MEGA FANG SYSTEM!

Once again we give you more A LOT MORE FEATURES than any other manufacturer so you can receive the most features and benefits offered by anyone at any price.

FIRST Lets' look at the MAGNUM A K steering system we offer for the articulating keel twin engine jet boats.

The Magnum A K steering provides a set of tempered aluminum adjustable steering fins to work in conjunction with the factory rudder. This creates a V formation to keep them up away from the lowest point of your boat "the factory rudder" .

We place the fins off to the side of each nozzle for better exposure to the water as it flows under the boat allowing them to provide better turning leverage at speed, keep in mind this system works at all speeds not just at idle, this in itself is worth twice the price.

Magnum A K steering provides you with improved steering for docking or operating in no wake mode as well as for water sports and rough conditions at planing speeds because this is a REAL ALL TIME STEERING ENHANSEMENT .

Next we offer a very inexpensive set of Magnum A K fangs for reverse and power steering ,utilizing one per nozzle.

Or you may choose to go ALL IN on a setup of the new A K MEGA FANGS system in place of the standard A K fang set.

This MEGA FANG system utilizes a base plate mounted below the nozzle with locking tabs using two MEGA FANGS per nozzle rather than only one.

This setup provides the maximum effect for power steering, excellent reverse control more stopping power in reverse when docking , more concentrated reverse thrust for backing off trailers or boat lifts.

A reverse that operates in a true reverse fashion providing you with steering like you expect reverse to steer so you already know how to use it.

This system focuses the reverse thrust as it exits the reverse opening of the nozzle so the force of the reverse thrust is more concentrated and more direct therefore more effective.

And the added steering effect at all speeds is another additional benefit of the MEGA FANG SYSTEM .

Our Magnum A K steering system also adds a second tie rod to your boats steering for good reason, the steering cable , helm &nozzle all support the operation of the large rudder at the center of the boat, the original system operates off only one side thus placing a lot of extra wear and stress on that side.

Understanding that a steering cable provides a push and a pull when it operates and that the PULL is most often when a cable will break so having a system that operates equally and distributes the work load to twice the mechanical components as well as adding in redundancy just makes good sense especially since the factory rudder is prone to striking the ground when beached or operating in shallow water, any serious side impact to the rudder can be transferred to the steering system so dividing the stress is a much better idea.

We also offer the second tie rod by itself or in the magnum A K steering package as a complete upgrade to your original factory system.

You would think all this steering, tie rod and mega fangs combined would be very expensive!

However the entire system purchased through this web page is only $544.99 including free priority mail in the U S A. Remember that price covers the steering, the tie rod, and the mega fangs !

Now next we have the MEGA FANG system for the ULTIMATE steering, this set is compatible with the existing steering base plates that contain the 4 small mounting holes making this system even less expensive while providing ALL THE SAME FEATURES previously mentioned for only 85 dollars for a single nozzle setup or 169.99 for the twin engine setup and free shipping in the U S A

The complete cost including the mega fangs is only $539,98 with free shipping in the U S A.

One important note unfortunately MEGA FANGS cannot be used on 19 foot boats with the original factory rudder system.

However the Ultimate steering or the VIPER steering system are both compatible on those models.

The Magnum steering systems with the base plates made with the 4 small holes for mounting are also compatible with the MEGA FANGS and those also receive the same benefits as mentioned above.

This system with the mega fangs included on a twin engine setup is $493.98 once again you receive the same benefits previously mentioned.

Even the VIPER NK and VIPER N K 2 can accept the mega fangs for an additional $84.99 making the total cost for both only $243.98 with free shipping in the U S A.

So what about compatibility with the plastic fins that are made by other people?. Other that the 19 foot keel models this MEGA FANG setup will fill in the voids in the slow speed steering and reverse areas it will also remove the wander you still experience with the plastic parts, unfortunately it won't delete the huge intrusiveness of those fins hanging down too far although it may assist with the fin wobble often experienced at high speed with the plastic fins.

If you want the best steering for your boat upgrading to one of our steering systems is recommended.

That upgrade actually happens quite often with great reviews from people once they install and try one of our systems.

People with the huge plastic part time fins installed on a 19 foot keel boats may wish to convert to the VIPER for all the benefits that system offers that style of boat at the very affordable price of only $159.00 including free shipping in the U S A.

Foobar

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I can promise you the magnum A K system with the Mega Fangs would have given you so much more for a lot less money and seriously the mag ak system will not interfere with the lateral thrusters so you could have installed them but I honestly think the mega fangs do a lot more with no loss of reverse thrust plus they give even more steering effect at all speeds and increase the reverse thrust by focusing it rather than taking it away to direct it sideways. And they give you a power steering effect from having the front of the mega fangs forward of the nozzle pivot point and the system adds balance to the steering by adding a second tie rod so everything works evenly and has redundancy. Without placing the lower part of the fins near the bottom of the factory rudder. So now you spent a lot of money and you still have the hull wandering around on you and you will be spending more money on trim tabs but it probably won't help. The magnum AK system including the mega fang system is about $540 complete with the extra tie rod, and you would not need anything extra. The boat would then respond instantly at any speed . Hell it even has 30 days to send it back for a refund if it doesn't do what you want. I always say do your homework and buy your last system first. If you don't have a smile on your face when you are driving your boat you probably don't have COBRA JET STEERING on it!
@Cobra Jet Steering LLC I asked you before I bought the JBP system if your system would work with the lateral thrusters. I wanted to buy the Cobras, but you basically told me it would not work. So, I did not buy them. Now you are saying they will work.

Ok, send me a complete system with fangs and all. I will video document the installation and tests between your system and JBP for the series of videos I am making on YouTube. I will do all of this before trim tabs. If you are right, you can point everyone to the independent tests video by a regular guy. You've told me several times yours are better. Show me.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I clearly recall you asking me if they would work with the side thrusters and I told you I could see no reason why they would not but I felt that they were not the best way to go exactly what I always say .
If you order a set of magnum A K steering and a set of ak mega fangs and you want to compare them no problem . Just place the order on my web page there is a 30 day money back guarantee so you are covered if you don't like them.
While you are at it you can even try the mag ak steering with the side thruster if that is what you want to do, I have plenty of people who have compared the systems There are comments are on my face book page and many on this web page . Just do a search.

Tailwaters

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have the Cobra Venom Viper and I can tell you it made a big difference. The Venom offers a small planning surface also that I think aids in the ride a bit. As for the trim tabs, I think the only benefit you will see by installing tabs is going to be keeping the boat level. Other than that your not going to be able to free up the hull for a smoother ride. Have to remember its a jet and it stays stuck to the water. Breaking suction will kill momentum.