• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Charleston, SC Cooper River run up thru Pinopolis Lock - Sat, July 18, 2020

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hey folks on Sat, July 18th everyone is welcome to join me in doing the awesome 130 mile round trip run starting in Charleston SC running up the Cooper River and entering Lake Moultrie through the Pinopolis Lock which is a 75 foot single lift lock and is a sight to see. The Cooper River Runs about 58 miles through the remote and beautiful South Carolina low country and is an awesome run mostly in protected waters with great scenery and wildlife along the way.

Here is an itinerary of the trip.

Saturday, July 18th
- 0830 depart WO Thomas Jr Boat Landing 4354 Bridge View Dr, North Charleston, SC 29405 (I-526 at the Ashley River)
- boat down the Ashley River
- boat around the Charleston Battery
- boat up the Cooper River
- pass through the Pinopolis Lock
- enter Lake Moultrie, find a place to hangout/raft up, and have lunch
- back track and return to WO Thomas Jr Boat Landing

This will be a full day of boating, it typically takes about 3 hours to get to Lake Moultrie, an hour or so for lunch, and 3 hours to return. The 130 mile trip can easily be done with a full tank of fuel.

Participants
@Andy S
Dave Fulmer
@Ramblin Wreck

1591873182126.png

Last edited:

BeauSko

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hmm, I’ve been thinking about doing this 🤔. I watched a video on youtube of someone doing it, looked like fun! Will definitely let you know!

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks @Andy S we definitely want to do this trip again as well as Hilton Head. Not sure we are quite ready do the hotel bit with the kids just yet. I will keep it on my radar and follow plans as they firm.

Stacey in SC

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
DAMN IT ALL. I would love to but we fly out the 18th to Boston for a week. Maybe again later in summer. Bah humbug!!

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
DAMN IT ALL. I would love to but we fly out the 18th to Boston for a week. Maybe again later in summer. Bah humbug!!
Since @robert843 might not be joining us on this trip, there is a decent chance we might do another trip later this summer.

Stacey in SC

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Cool beans. I’m in if I’m around!!!

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Any update on who is in for this trip? I am still a long shot but might go if a buddy wants in since the fam is out.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Any update on who is in for this trip? I am still a long shot but might go if a buddy wants in since the fam is out.
Right now there is only 2 boats going, mine and a buddy's center console. There is one more boat that has shown interest but no firm commitment.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have updated the departure time to 0830, from what I have heard the WO Thomas ramp gets really busy between 9 am and 11 am.

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
If my boat delivery goes as planned next week I'll probably make the trip up. For anyone who knows the area, where would be best to stay if we wanted to make it a 2 day trip? (pet friendly)

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If my boat delivery goes as planned next week I'll probably make the trip up. For anyone who knows the area, where would be best to stay if we wanted to make it a 2 day trip? (pet friendly)
Hope it works out that you can make it.

For a place to stay I would check hotels around the Tanger Outlet Mall area in North Charleston. It will be a lot cheaper to stay there than closer to downtown Charleston, plus you are only 10 minutes from the WO Thomas ramp.

1593877948562.png

1593878177063.png

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hmm somehow just saw this.. we cant make it this year. Headed to Destin in Sept keep going back and forth on bringing boat.

Then to Keys in Oct.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Were yall tubing near tugaloo on the 4th of July? Saw boat I thought might have been yall as we cruised past

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
for anyone tagged this is a great trip. If you have kids they will enjoy the locks. Outside of Charleston area its pretty smooth ride up the river.

As far as gas it will be pushing it up and back IMO.

My son turns 7 in Aug and wantdd to go Camping maybe we can have a meet up around Charleston somewhere for weekend he would probably enjoy that (gotta clear with wife).

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hey guys sorry I can’t make this happen. Picked up my boat yesterday and can’t get the plugs out. Need to invest some time in it and don’t feel comfortable travelling that distance until it’s all sorted out. If it was a week later I would be in.

ChrisM

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
This is something I would love to do as I have never explored the area, unfortunately I'm camping with the T/T on Lake Wylie tomorrow, but am spending a week camping on James Island through Thanksgiving, so I'll be able to explore by ground then.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My weekend just freed up, they are giving my sons team weekend off. Going to talk to wife. If we can make it will shoot you PM andy

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@FLJetBoater and @ChrisM sorry you guys can make this trip but there might be another later this year, I will keep everyone posted.

Late yesterday the details have finally been put in place, this years trip will be unique in that I will be helping out with the Berkley County department of Tourism create a video showcasing some of Berkley counties beauty, the Pinopolis Lock and Lake Moultrie are in Berkley County. About a month ago thru this forum the Berkley County director of tourism reached out to me and asked if I could help them with a making of a tourism video for Berkley County. My involvement will be to pickup and transport the videographer thru the some of the river, the lock and around the lake. Once I get a copy of the video I will post it here.